Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 07:22 PM

14 posts, read 28,251 times

Advertisements

I am planning to retire soon and want to move to where the winters are not so cold. I am considering the Corpus Christi area. I would like to live in the country have fruit trees and be able to hunt or at least target practice, maybe buy a separate tract of land for hunting. I spent a week there in March 2009 and liked the area. I am especially interested in the area around Sinton and Orange Grove. What about property taxes, flood insurance requirements, good areas for hunting deer, quail, dove, javelina, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:38 AM

484 posts, read 1,624,499 times
RadarTech,

Welcome to south TX.

I recently saw a piece of raw land in the Orange Grove area listed for sale, (14 acres, I think) and the owner was asking about 3.5K per acre, just to give you some idea. Of course with the present economy, I'm thinking the asking price and the selling price may not be the same. Even so, there are deer and wild hog there, the owner had set up a motion sensor camera and displayed some photos of white tail deer, turkey, and even a bobcat. White wing dove are plentiful in the area, I hunt a friend's ranch on the other side of Orange Grove towards Mathis and always get limits of Dove.

Quail are another story, bird populations depend greatly on summer rainfall amounts and how much cover is left in hay fields. I've seen dry years and almost zero birds, if we get decent amounts of rain there will be lots of birds, it can be spotty.

Taxes in Jim Wells County are very reasonable for undeveloped land, if you build a house on it the taxes go up considerably, but will still be less than what we pay in property tax in Nueces County.

Sinton is in San Patricio County and a bit closer to the Gulf, and if I recall correctly there are new restrictions about mobile homes within certain distances from the water, that's something that you should ask about if you were thinking of an instant house on some rural acreage.

Anyway, good luck with your retirement plans and welcome to Texas.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,492,851 times
Live Oak has the best deal on both land and taxes but you're further away from the ocean, closer to San Antonio.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Live Oak has the best deal on both land and taxes but you're further away from the ocean, closer to San Antonio.
Agreed, Live Oak County is the better deal for taxes, and even deer and hog hunting,,, maybe. But it is close to nothing, where are you gonna shop? We mostly do need to eat. Live Oak is almost famous for being empty spaces.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM

14 posts, read 28,251 times
Thank you for the input. I googled Live Oak county realtors, most of their listings were large acreage tracts, lake lots or 1 to 2 acre lots. I'll keep at it.

That 14 acre tract sounds pretty good. Do you remember the listing agent?

I saw a 12 acre tract east of Sandia and 1/4 mile from the Nueces River for $39.9K that is subject to occasional flooding. How often does it flood below the Corpus Christi lake dam?

I saw an article about a wind farm west of Taft but no specific location was given. Can anyone provide a more specific location?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 AM

Even better look from here.

Search Alice, Orange Grove, Nueces County TX Real Estate Listings For Sale

Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM

16 posts, read 58,834 times
Just be prepared to live in the car. They're nice enough areas, but you'll be on the road to CC quite a lot depending how far out. Doctors, hospitals, shopping, etc. 20-30k annually is not unusual. I'll sure admit to liking Orange Grove over any number of other little communities, however.

Handbook of Texas Online - ORANGE GROVE, TX

FM 624 is the main road of CC: Leopard Street. You can run it most of the way to Del Rio as well; a "well hidden" backroad. Or, as my son puts it: this is the backroad of the the backroads. Handy for shopping in CalAllen. (Plenty of wrecks though, fog a problem in earliest a.m. Rural Texas is bad for fatal wrecks.)

Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
You might find it more enjoyable living along the coast if you take up fishing. Deer are tiny, but there is great fishing here. And it is a great way to spend time outdoors, in the wild, away from crowds, much more fun then wading through cactus and prickly brush.

I grew up in Wyoming, where there is great hunting, I wouldn't bother in TX, but have greatly enjoyed the fishing, boating and water sports along the TX coast.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-31-2010 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 11:36 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,002,734 times
I have lived in Live Oak county where I owned ( I know I am the infamous person that loves to rent now ) a small ranch where I kept my broodmares. i also lived there until lightning struck my house and burned it down . You do not have to go to CC to shop ,, you may have to drive some distance but not all the way to CC,, I shopped in Mathis at the HEB,went to the DR. and the Dollar Store , Orange Grove , George West , even Beeville occasionaly and they have dr.s in Mathis and George West maybe orange Grove, I cannot recall and dependng on where in Live Oak ,, you can also go to Alice.. It is a big county it depends on where you put yourself there ... Also go to adsack.com and search " acres "... you'll see alot of stuff kind of like what you are talking about. I would see alot of game on my travels around there.. deer here are not always tiny , my family hunted in canada ,as well as wyoming and colorado here in the states but have also brought home plenty of very large mule and white tailed deer from right here in Texas over the decades,, alot depends on the rainfall on the size and amount of deer... it drought conditions it can be very bad.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 08-01-2010 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi