U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 14,435 times

Advertisements

I'm researching a few places to live after graduation here. My dad lived in CC and seemed to like it. He lived out on a boat at Pt. Aransas actually. I visited a few times and really liked the area. My goal is to move somewhere close to the sea where the natural environment is unique and important and where it does not get very cold.

I will have a BA in Legal Studies as well as a BA in Professional writing. I'm researching a few places to live after graduation here. I do not speak Spanish which may be a problem. I would like to work as a research assistant in a law office or non-profit. Other than the legal job, my talents lay in writing and art, and I love to paint.

I know I will not be making a ton of money if I get a job out there as a paralegal, possibly only 25 to 30 K the first year. That is barely above poverty level here, so I will most likely try to find a room mate. Can a person find a decent place to live? I have 4 pets, 2 dogs, 2 cats so I may need a house or even a mobile home. The dogs are "chihuahua size." I know I have way to many pets for a regular apartment.

I'd appreciate any reply.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
Since you seem to be mostly seeking encouragement, I'll encourage you! The cost-of-living in this area is low and you could live on 25-30g a year with a roommate. Where are you moving from?

I would not advise you to move here without a job, however, unless you're willing to wait tables or bartend while you look. The job market is like it is in the rest of country--slow.

You don't need to speak Spanish to live and work here, although it is helpful in some situations.

If you look through these threads you'll find lots of good information. Good luck with your decision-making.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Hi, I am in Nebraska. I would not move without a job. I would mostly like to know what the area is like -- without the advertising, or hype-- the truth from real people who live there. Like I say, I've seen port Aransas and that area, but not "real" CC. I would most likely work in the city.

What is mass transportation like? Are there trains? Are there horrible slums? Is it safe (enough) to walk at night. Is there a big arts center? From the pictures, it seems like the downtown is rather nice and big, but so is Omaha.

What is the night life like? I like blues and jazz, world music, and I am not a young kid (I'm a female, 40-50, but no where near retirement). Is there an opera (I know Houston has a good one). I notice there are no dog parks-- big negative in my book. What about bike trails? What about walking trails and the proximity of national forests/camp grounds. Is there a college? Librarys? Pools?

You know, all the basics.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,798,454 times
I used to love this city and defend it and always see the best in it. But now, I have realized that I was naive and blind to the truth. Mass transportation is minimal. We have the " B Bus". That's it. No trains.

As for your slums and safety questions; Stay away from the north side and anything west of the Crosstown Freeway. I would not walk around the city at night either. This includes parks as well.

The art museum is nice for a city of CC's size. Downtown has a nice amount of high rises, but very few restaurants and clubs. A lot of vacancies downtown and loft and condominium living is way overpriced. The night life is ok, but not great. There are some nice live music venues though. There is no opera, but there is a ballet.

There aren't really any bike trails, unless you include the bike lanes on the side of the roads... A lot of people get hit by cars though. No lie there. There are a few walking trails scattered throughout the city and walking along the downtown bay front is very pleasant.

There is the Mustang Island National Seashore on the island and there is some camping there. There is also some camping out at Lake Corpus Christi.

There are 3 colleges in the area. Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Texas A&M Kingsville, and the community college, Del Mar College. They are decent. There are several public libraries but no main library. At least I don't think there is. There are several pools throughout the city.

Overall, Corpus Christi is a nice town for older people or people with families. It is attractive, but at the same time, unattractive. Younger people usually can't wait to get the heck out of here. There are a lot of gangster wanna-be's throughout the city. But all in all, the city lacks a lot in both character and progression compared to other cities in TX and other cities that are of a comparable size. I can't wait to leave and my dream town is Houston. I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I would think you would semi enjoy the city. A lot of people have mixed feelings for it. It is very anti growth, backwards, non-progressive, and very, very laid back.

Any other questions, just ask.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 PM

484 posts, read 1,455,431 times
f8

Gabetx is right, CC is not a very progressive city. Other than it's close proximity to the beach it has very little to offer the younger crowd.

I fear you would not ultimately be happy in CC. My eldest son recently finished up his MBA at TA&MCC and can't wait to find a job in a bigger city. He really likes Austin, but that's a UT town, (Aggies are not well received there), so it looks like maybe Houston or Dallas with Salt Lake City and Denver as strong possibles.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,224,909 times
I actually like visiting Corpus have always kinda wanted to live there also there is the Hockey and indoor football teams plus the Corpus Christi Hooks

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t482

http://www.goicerays.com/

http://cchammerheads.com/

Corpus Christi websites

http://www.visitcorpuschristitx.org/

http://www.corpuschristichamber.org/

Last edited by bgrn198; 03-19-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Thank you everyone, this is the kind of information I need. I am not really in the "young" crowd, but I am educated, liberal, and I don't want to bother with a place that is like downtown Detroit. I am graduating in a field where the majority of work can be found in larger cities, but I tend to like big college towns. I don't want to move to LA, or NY, or Chicago, but Houston is another city on the list.
I also noticed on the map that it is close to the ocean and even to Corpus Christi, so I can visit once in a while.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
There is a bus system but it's not all that efficient. There are two ballet companies, a symphony, two community theater groups and a light opera company. There are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods, but there are certainly plenty of neighborhoods where it's safe to walk around at night. There are no hike and bike trails to speak of, because aside from the beach, there are not a lot of pretty outdoors areas. This area is known as the Brush Country--it's flat and scrubby. You can camp on the national seashore, but it's beach and not woodsy. The closest thing to camping in the woods would probably be at the small state park outside of Rockport or at Lake Corpus Christi.

The downtown is not particularly nice or big, but the bayfront is pretty. There are a few bars and restaurants downtown that seem to do an ok business.

Music varies, but area and regional blues bands play and there is some jazz as well. There's an annual jazz festive that is free and wonderful, but it just lasts a weekend.

The biggest problem in Corpus Christi is the leadership. There's sort of an institutional paranoia about outsiders (developers, not new residents) that causes city leaders to obstruct growth. It's very odd.

Having said all that, I still like living here. I understand young people moving away though and wish CC had more to offer them.

Just saw your last post. CC is definitely NOT downtown Detroit.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 10,115 times
Corpus Christi??

There are so many good things to say about this city, personally i think the people here are very humble & have alot of history...I learned so much about families in Corpus Christi # 1 is they always stick together... The City has a nice relaxing sea front & nice breezy wheather, except when the storms hit, you better have insurance....However, I have also been investigating the city's crime not only by what ive witnessed, but by doing thorough investigations...Now i know why it's called corpus (corpse)...Believe it or not, theres alot of murder going on in the city...So many people have had their lives taken here in Corpus Christi...The streets are dangerous & especially out by the cut off leopard..Beware..If you move to or back to Corpus i would suggest you do a little investigation yourself just for your own sake...It's always better to be paranoid than naive...Overall, god i love that Boat n Net!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,224,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f8doggie View Post
Thank you everyone, this is the kind of information I need. I am not really in the "young" crowd, but I am educated, liberal, and I don't want to bother with a place that is like downtown Detroit. I am graduating in a field where the majority of work can be found in larger cities, but I tend to like big college towns. I don't want to move to LA, or NY, or Chicago, but Houston is another city on the list.
I also noticed on the map that it is close to the ocean and even to Corpus Christi, so I can visit once in a while.

How about Austin? it's only a few hours from Corpus nice college city with lots of live music and a good night life

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

there's also San Antonio Corpus is only 2 hours away

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi