U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,823 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are planning to stay in Corpus for the month of July. There will be 2 kids ages 5 and 8 and 2 adults. We will be driving so we will have a car to sight see and go to the store, etc. I need help on deciding where to stay and need the locals input. One place is on the side by the Lexington called Breakers condo and the other place is on Windward road called Seahorse in North Padre. Breakers is on the beach and Seahorse is across the street. I need an area that is kid friendly and has waves big enough for boogy board. Does anyone know of other places that rent for 30 days we have already gone through VRBO.com? We want a 2bd with a pool on the beach or walking distance to the beach. Thanks for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,836,571 times
It's really going to depend on whether you want to be on the Gulf of Mexico or on Corpus Christi Bay. The Gulf is cleaner, has bigger waves, more beach, more wildlife and sand dunes. The Bay would be safer for little kids. In the Gulf, if the waves are at all big, you will have to be very vigiliant about the undertow with your kids. OTOH, if you want to do any surfing, you'd want to be on the Gulf. You can get to either of them from the other in about 30 minutes.

Both have their pluses and minuses. With small children, I'd probably opt for the bay location and take trips to the Gulf.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,823 times
Thanks Marlow for the info. I haven't been to the Bay side in about 10 yrs. and back then it was a little shady is it safer now?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

804 posts, read 2,677,008 times
Lots of rental places on Mustang Island or up north in Port Aransas to choose from. Check CoastalAccomodations dot net.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

15,247 posts, read 17,836,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin3 View Post
Thanks Marlow for the info. I haven't been to the Bay side in about 10 yrs. and back then it was a little shady is it safer now?
Yes, it is better. There are still some rinky-dink biker looking apartments, but the whole area tries to cater to tourists. Also, if you're there, it will be a quicker run into Portland for groceries and things than it will be if you're on the Island. And if you're there on the 4th of July, you'll have a great view of the fireworks they shoot off the deck of the Lexington.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:07 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 437,094 times
I never go swimming in the bay, but I go to the "real" beach (the island) just about every weekend in the summer. I would strongly recommend something on the island, vs. the bay. There are things to do on the bay, tourist attractions and so forth, but the beach is the main attraction, and the island is where its at. My two cents.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 16,116 times
Default Vacation in Corpus

I live in CC and when my children were young, we spent every weekend on the island at the beach. There is usually a good wind there and the waves can get high -so I second the warning about watching the kids. You especially need to pay attention later in the afternoon when the tide is going out. When we first moved here, I almost got "lost at sea" because I was in an inflatable canoe and didn't realize it was floating out with the tide each time a wave came in. And, if there are undertow warnings (my young daughter thought we were saying "UnderTOADS" LOL), pay attention to the warnings. Also, you dont' want to be swimming out there if there is a "red tide." And keep the kids out of the sanddunes out on Padre Island - there are snakes. And read up on what to bring with you for jellyfish stings.

Warnings aside - you can have a ton of fun at the beach there. Our favorite is the National Seashore - about a 10 minute drive once you get on the island - but it has a beautiful, large wooden decked area with a store, nice bathrooms and a second floor deck overlooking the beach. National Seashore charges but we bought a Texas Parks annual pass because we go there often.

Years ago, we used to go to Mustang Island Beach on Padre - but it seemed as though they stopped taking care of it. It also costs to enter.

The free beach is at Bob Hall Pier - so it is usally more crowded than Mustang Island and National Seashore. You can drive on the beach at all 3 and just pull up next to the water with your car and park. With young children, however, if you park ON the beach, you need to keep an eye on them because of the cars driving directly behind your car.

There are many condominiums just north of Mustang Island and north of it near Port Aransas. I've never rented one, however.

For hotels:
If you want to stay on the bayfront and have a beach out your door, the Holiday Inn Emerald Beach is on a beach and right next to a long stretch of public beach. It's right near downtown CC and about a half hour drive to the island. It's good "in between" location. They also have an indoor pool and play areas for kids as well as an outside deck with bar on the beach.

When I used to visit CC, we wanted to stay here cheaply and found a great little hotel that used to be called the Railway Inn (now it is a Knights Inn). It is about 10 minutes from downtown and is on Ocean Drive - closer towards the University. Their rates are very reasonable and it was always clean and had a decent little breakfast in the morning. It has a small outdoor pool and you can ask for a room that has a kitchenette (microwave and small refrigerator and sink, cabinets with dishes). The bay is across the street, but there are condominium buildings there - you would have to drive in one direction towards the bay beaches there or the other direction to go out to Padre Island.

There is a lot to do in the CC area - no matter where you stay, branch out into the different areas. If you do stay on the bay, make sure you also get out to the island - go to Port Aransas, drive around the bay and take the car ferry over to Port Aransas, go on a dolphin boat near the island or Port Aransas, or a tour boat downtown CC, visit the souvenir shops on Padre Island, eat at Snoopy's under the bridge going over to Padre. There are a lot of festivals all over during this time of the year - check the events calendars for Corpus Christi, Rockport/Fulton, Port Aransas etc...

Enjoy!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,664,585 times
I would definately recommend the "Gulf" side of the waters. There is very little in the way of actual beaches on the bay side. The beaches that are there are mostly man made, and the sand absolutely sucks. I remember first moving here, and going over to Corpus Christi Beach... what a laugh that was! Felt like I was walking on glass shards just getting out to the water... and then the water felt murky and hot... and this was in April!!

By far, you will enjoy the Gulf side of the waters far more... much better sand, real waves (watch for undertow though, as mentioned earlier), and just alot more of the enviornment you are looking for. There are alot of places you can stay at besides N. Padre though... consider areas along Mustang Island, Port A, even areas inland that you can drive easily enough to around Flour Bluff for example, or Aransas Pass, Portland, etc.

Ian

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 437,094 times
Since there has been several mentions of the undertoad (ha!), good time to repeat the warning I received as a kid:

If you get stuck in the undertow and cannot beat it, just let yourself be taken out. Eventually it will dissipate, and you can make your way back in. The real danger is getting fatiqued fighting it and then going down.

I have *never* had to follow this advice, but just in case....

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM

42 posts, read 96,545 times
If I am going to be in Portland, what would be the best beach for me to visit for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi