U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM

779 posts, read 1,497,531 times

Advertisements

greetings corpus! i'm heading over there in late may for a weekend getaway.
i've already browsed the visitor's bureau, but i'm looking for real world advice, not a bunch of city officials trying to lure people in.

i'm originally from victoria, so i know corpus decently well. i do plan on doing the beach scene, but i'm looking for more.

any suggestions on boat tours, horseback riding, atv rentals, etc....?
i'm in my late 20's, so if there's also a nice night scene, let me know that as well.

i'm open to suggestions. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,196,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
i've already browsed the visitor's bureau, but i'm looking for real world advice, not a bunch of city officials trying to lure people in.

i'm originally from victoria, so i know corpus decently well. i do plan on doing the beach scene, but i'm looking for more.

i'm in my late 20's, so if there's also a nice night scene, let me know that as well.

Good Lord, is there anybody on this site? nismospec, I don't actually live in corpus, but I grew up there and my psrents still live there. Many years ago, there were touring boats that took off from the T-head (DT) called the Gulf Clipper and the Captain Clark. They left at certain hours of the day and took you on an excursion of the harbor area. There probably is still something like that available. You might try Havana night club in the downtown area. there are also some other night clubs on chaparral (main DT street). Executive Surf club and water st oyster bar have been there for ages and are fun. on the southside, kiko's restaurant is very popular and has been there forever. i'm sorry that I don't know more to do. I hope that I've helped you a little anyway. Have a good time in corpus.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM

15,247 posts, read 17,829,425 times
Sorry I didn't respond earlier. It's hard to tout your city when you've just been named the fattest city in U.S.

I don't know anything about the night life scene any more, but there are some bars downtown and there's a popular CW bar called ... Ropers, I think ... on Everhart. Port Aransas also has some bars and local music.

The bayfront has boat rides like Wehotex described, as well as paddle-boats and little bike/surrey things to rent. You can also rent windsurfers and kayaks and get a lesson at a place in Flour Bluff. I don't think the horseback riding rental place on the beach is still open. There's a kitesurfing rental place downtown as well.

The Hooks season has started so you might be able to see a baseball game, depending on the schedule.

There are often festivals in and around CC this time of year. You can check the Caller-Times, or ask here, when you get closer to coming to see if there's anything going on.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,663,418 times
Quote:

Although I live in Portland (about 7 miles from downtown Corpus), I really don't do alot of the things you are interested in. Some of the things you would like to do (ATV rentals, horseriding, etc) might be best found by looking in the YellowPages.

Nightlife scene, I know there are some places downtown, but it seems alot of people frequent the ones along SPID, from Everhart to Airline. Alot of variety in the bars in these areas.

Boat tours, I know they have charter type fishing tours at the T-Heads along Ocean Dr. Again, you might consider consulting the YellowPages, Craigslist, etc for more info.

Ian

Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. It gives me ideas to research further.
And don't worry about being labeled the fattest city.....SA was in the top 5 if i'm not mistaken the past few years.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM

so coming back to this post, my trip is scheduled in the next few weeks. since the original post, we've had that oil rig explosion. I know Louisiana is being affected, but what are the water conditions for Corpus?

any development or talk about being in the water over there?

[edit] didn't realize how far away the explosion was, so i'm assuming there is 0% that it affected anything, but i'm just asking, just incase.

Last edited by nismospec; 05-10-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM

16,780 posts, read 43,345,501 times
The last I heard the oil slick was starting to effect some beaches in Louisiana and Arkansas, but nothing in Texas yet. That could change with wind directions.

Gulf of Mexico Wind Chart

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM

any good restaurants to visit on the shoreline? or I can head into the city as well if there are better places.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM

163 posts, read 638,694 times
Quote:
any good restaurants to visit on the shoreline? or I can head into the city as well if there are better places.
I recommend Katz. Best prime rib I've ever had in my life.

Katz 21 Steak&Spirits

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

sounds good, i'll check it out.
anything else?

trying to avoid tourist destinations, and look for the unique places. doesn't have to be ritzy. i'm the type of person who will stop at mutt n' jeff's bbq place on the side of a desolate highway to eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi