Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 PM

33 posts, read 248,982 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been on a cruise to the caribbean? I'm loking to go next summer with my GF. How do I go about this? How did you do it? Where and how much was it to go. Thanks! I've nnever been on a cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
I'm guessing by your name that you're in L.A.?? If that's the case, since you've never been on a cruise before, I'd probably recommend just taking a very short cruise to start from. Not everybody is a cruise person. Personally, I love them.

Carnival has three-day cruises to Ensenada from Long Beach that start pretty cheap. You may want to start by doing one of those to determine if you're really a cruise person.

I did a Carribean cruise back in June '10 (Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Barbados, St. Croix with Royal Carribean) and had a great time. For my wife and I together it cost about $4000 w/airfare from San Francisco to Puerto Rico with an inside cabin. Honestly, it's somewhat pricey for what you get. I didn't necessarily have a better time than I did going to Mexico. For the price, I'd probably recommend the Mexican Riviera. I guess it's cool to tell people that I've been to the Carribean, but the cruise/airfare was so pricey that I don't really think it was worth the price. From California, even going to Hawaii is much cheaper. The price benefit with cruises is that food (but not alcohol) is included. You can eat like a king on a cruise without spending money. Cruises are a good value in that respect.

My mother-in-law, who went with my wife and I, booked our trip and I think she went directly through the cruise line. You'll find that the online cruise prices are pretty much the same everywhere you look. It's probably best to pick a cruise line and call them directly to find out your options.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
You don't really want to do the Caribbean during summer - that's hurricane season in the Caribbean. Personally, I would not recommend a Carnival Cruise - unless you actually like partying with 5000 of your closest, drunkest friends.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerguy View Post
Has anyone been on a cruise to the caribbean? I'm loking to go next summer with my GF. How do I go about this? How did you do it? Where and how much was it to go. Thanks! I've nnever been on a cruise.

I've been on 11 cruises with most being in the Caribbean. I've been on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, and Holland America. I'd be happy to help you decide. You can send me a direct message once you find specific cruises...I've been on every route in the Caribbean, so I can tell you about the ports of call etc. I always use priceline.com when searching for cruises. Try to stick with the 7 night cruises, they usually offer the best ships and food quality.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
You don't really want to do the Caribbean during summer - that's hurricane season in the Caribbean. Personally, I would not recommend a Carnival Cruise - unless you actually like partying with 5000 of your closest, drunkest friends.
Twinkle Toes, that isn't always the case, the real hurricane season does starat in the summer, but is the worst from mid or late Aug until early Oct. As for Carnival, it is my least favorite cruise line, but it has improved and isn't bad for young people.

Nita

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

I've been on 11 cruises with most being in the Caribbean. I've been on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, and Holland America. I'd be happy to help you decide. You can send me a direct message once you find specific cruises...I've been on every route in the Caribbean, so I can tell you about the ports of call etc. I always use priceline.com when searching for cruises. Try to stick with the 7 night cruises, they usually offer the best ships and food quality.
Go ahead and fill us all in here. It's not often we get to discuss the Caribbean in the California forum.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Twinkle Toes, that isn't always the case, the real hurricane season does starat in the summer, but is the worst from mid or late Aug until early Oct. As for Carnival, it is my least favorite cruise line, but it has improved and isn't bad for young people.

Nita
I've been on lots of cruises through the Caribbean - more than 11.

Here's some info for the OP on hurricane season:

The Caribbean Hurricane Season - When Does It Occur?

Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Go ahead and fill us all in here. It's not often we get to discuss the Caribbean in the California forum.

lol that's exactly why I said send me a direct message...I was a bit confused on why this thread is in the California forum, unless the OP wants a cruise that leaves from California goes through the Panama Canal then to the Caribbean. I've always wanted to do a cruise like that.

Regarding hurricane season, I recently lived in South Florida, so I know all about hurricane season. Summer in that part of the world has heavy rain followed by sunshine in the summer. Hurricane season is more toward the fall. With that being said, summer is still a good time to go to the Caribbean, especially if it's early summer. If it rains, it will still be warm outside and the rain will usually stop after 30 minutes.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerguy View Post
They say there is a cruise for everyone. So you need to start by defining what you want from the cruise and how much you are willing to spend. Here are some questions to get you started:

What is the budget?
How long do you want to go for?
Do you like to party?
Is nightlife important?
Do you prefer a younger crowd?
What is the preferred age group?
Are shows important?
Is sport/exercise/spas important to you?
Are you "foodies" or just want decent food?
Do you want a beach itinerary or a more historical one?
Is shopping important to you?

There are probably other questions I have not asked but, start by thinking on the above and that will help narrow down the right cruise. Also, a lot of cruise ships are not in the Caribbean in summer so your choice might be limited.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times
try cruiscritic.com get more info depending on your ages & want you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises