Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

Hey, I decided to post two subjects in one thread because I didn't want to make one thread after the other who I wanted to ask about traveling alone and cruises/boat carnivals.

For all of you who are well traveled, have you ever done so alone? Like, just pack up and go on your own adventure, stay at a hostel or couch surf, meet people along the way and have just as much of a good time alone on your own journey?

I've always dreamed of traveling with a bunch of friends and going off into some country and adventuring, doing fun stuff, hitting of fun social places and having a time to remember. However, that honestly doesn't seem like something that will happen in my future because most my friends just aren't ambitious enough to really journey and I personally feel they are pretty scared. For them, staying at a hostel is too risky and they prefer to have a package for them to do something instead of traveling and really explore an area on their own. They rather have something American and comforting around them like a McDonalds.

Me on the other hand, I haven't traveled extensively like many of you have. I have traveled all 4 coast of the U.S. and been to Canada and Mexico alone. I usually am the journeyman type of person and choose to stay at relatives, friends, hostels or in cars, buses where I can sleep. I'm used to it because I can never afford posh hotels. I just never really been over seas and explored a culture that's TOTALLY different from mine. Which is what I am all about. I am all about getting lost, getting immersed in the people and their ways, whether I'll love it or hate it, for me its all about the experience, the journey, the adventure. I'm all about having stories to tell and share.

So, let me know those of you who have traveled alone. How is it like? Is it as fun, not as fun, more fun? What are your experiences? Made any friends are connection?

Now, for cruises. My friends and even family, prefer to go on a cruise....Now, cruises I am sure I can go in and have a good time but it's really not my thing. It's "too safe" and I feel it doesn't really let you explore a culture. You're on a boat with a bunch of the same people who you left the country with and it's not very different or foreign. You get dropped off at a tourist friendly spot, swin around, eat, have some drinks but then you have to depart and move on to the next spot. My friends and I don't seem eye-to-eye on this and I'm not going to force them into doing a more adventurous travel, even though it bugs me how much they really want to explore other countries and cultures.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 AM

228 posts, read 1,000,930 times
I personally haven't had to cruise alone, but my husband died in December, so I might be forced to since my son and dil will not be able to make every cruise with me. I LOVE to cruise. I would not have the slightest problem cruising alone. The only draw back, is the price. Most cruises are booked on double occupancy.

I think taking a cruise is a great way to explore! For example, if you have never been to Hawaii, cruising the Islands is a great way to experience them all and find out which one you like best, and then you can go back for a land vacation. Same thing with Europe.

I would not hesitate to cruise alone, as I said, I love a cruise! Dot

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Personally, I wouldn't really want to cruise alone...or do ANY 'vacation' alone, for that matter! While I have no trouble talking to others, most folks, while friendly, are in their own social group....it's simply more fun to have a friend or partner to share the vacation with!

Yes...cruises are priced differently than hotels.....so whatever quote you get....double it...and you'll be close to the single person rate!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM

2,862 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Lital,

Elderhostel, now Road Scholar, are you aware of them? How about Rick Steves travel agency. Ask a travel agent
for singles traveling alone. The two I mentioned are usually small groups and Road Scholar will help you find a roommate.

Thank you for this Thread as when I do travel, if I do, it will be solo.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,745 times
I always travel with friends BUT we each like to have our own cabin so it's a task but it IS possible to find reasonable single-supplement fares. Some cruise lines permit it and some don't.. check CruiseCritic for more detailed information. I've never had to pay more than 150% and more often it's 125%. The luxury of having a stateroom or suite to yourself cannot be overestimated!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times
Cruises are expensive but your are getting a five star experience and then you did say cost no object. Travelling in cruise can be very different from any other vacation and it can be a wonderful experience.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Cruising alone, you get to do what you want, when you want to do it, with who you want, without having to aquiesce to anyone else's tastes. You will, however, pay for this priviledge

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
One thing that has always surprised me about cruise lines is that they don't waive single supplements to fill cabins after final payment is due (generally 60-90 days before sailing.) It seems that this would be a great way to encourage solo travelers to consider cruising and fill berths that would otherwise go empty. Pure profit.

My husband and I became friends with a solo cruiser on our last trip. His travel partner had to cancel due to illness at the last minutes, and he decided to go along anyhow. We spent a lot of time with him on board and ashore, although he was careful to give us our space as well. We're looking forward to cruising with him again in about 16 months and have met him for dinner a few times since the cruise ended.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Now, for cruises. My friends and even family, prefer to go on a cruise....Now, cruises I am sure I can go in and have a good time but it's really not my thing. It's "too safe" and I feel it doesn't really let you explore a culture. You're on a boat with a bunch of the same people who you left the country with and it's not very different or foreign. You get dropped off at a tourist friendly spot, swin around, eat, have some drinks but then you have to depart and move on to the next spot. My friends and I don't seem eye-to-eye on this and I'm not going to force them into doing a more adventurous travel, even though it bugs me how much they really want to explore other countries and cultures.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?
I used to feel pretty similar about cruises. I've been around Europe with a couple friends, and we did our own thing, staying in hostels, going where we wanted, and a cruise seemed like the exact opposite of that.

This past March my (now ex) girlfriend and I went on a cruise aboard Norwegian from New York City and I had an absolutely great time. I just enjoyed the fact that my day could be as busy or relaxed as I wanted and I didn't have to worry about a thing for a week.

In fact, just a few hours ago, I booked a studio aboard the Norwegian Epic for a 7 day cruise around the Carribbean from Miami in April. Norwegian is the only large cruise line that has studios, which are rooms designed for single travelers. I'm single now, and most of my friends are not in a financial position to go with me, but it's going to be my birthday, so I figured why not. The area of the ship with the studios has its own private lounge with 2 for 1 drink specials in the afternoon, so from what I hear it's an excellent way to meet people.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I used to feel pretty similar about cruises. I've been around Europe with a couple friends, and we did our own thing, staying in hostels, going where we wanted, and a cruise seemed like the exact opposite of that.

This past March my (now ex) girlfriend and I went on a cruise aboard Norwegian from New York City and I had an absolutely great time. I just enjoyed the fact that my day could be as busy or relaxed as I wanted and I didn't have to worry about a thing for a week.

In fact, just a few hours ago, I booked a studio aboard the Norwegian Epic for a 7 day cruise around the Carribbean from Miami in April. Norwegian is the only large cruise line that has studios, which are rooms designed for single travelers. I'm single now, and most of my friends are not in a financial position to go with me, but it's going to be my birthday, so I figured why not. The area of the ship with the studios has its own private lounge with 2 for 1 drink specials in the afternoon, so from what I hear it's an excellent way to meet people.

Now that's my type of cruise! If your on Cruise Critic please do a trip report!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises