Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, gee. No, respectfully. I don't think so. They were evacuated because they were so close to shore. Some people put on life preservers and jumped in and started swimming to shore. I don't know if they made it or were picked up. There are pictures showing some of the rocks nearby leading to the island and shots showing the ship over the rooftops of buildings.
Exactly, they were evacuated. You prove my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 05:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Exactly, they were evacuated. You prove my point.
Oh, geeze.

The original comment was made by a person who wrote or published cruising magazines. He said that cruise ships were now so large and holding so many people that it is doubtful that, were there a mishap in deep seas, everyone aboard could be rescued.

After that I expressed an interest in why this ship were listing since they were, in spite of a gash in the side, double hulled and built to right themselves - so, why did the ship not respond to an emergency as it was built to do? Because of this, lifeboats could not be lowered and were totally useless.

I then mentioned that there were dangers that ships today are not built to handle, such as rogue waves, so the need for evacuation at sea is a real one.

Which just reiterates that, were they in high seas, a full evacuation with the ship actually sinking, a full evacuation might not be possible. The reason why so many lives were saved in this instance is because the problem occurred within swimming distance of shore.

Ok, I hope that ameliorates any misunderstanding.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
In 2 weeks, we are heading out on our 10th cruise and I'm excited. As much as I love cruising for the opportunities it affords, I have been quite displeased with RC and, in fact, I lost over 10 pounds on our Med cruise due to the boring blah food - thanks, RC. I ate salad and cookies 2 meals a day and really only enjoyed breakfasts. Chocolate cake? umm, could have been vanilla; coffee - left so much to be desired. The Brilliance of the Seas: it was our 7th cruise and I was never so seasick, not even during the hurricane we hit the end of on our first Carnival cruise. Granted we hit bad weather 3 nights - really bad so that they even had to shut down the glass elevators. So we went back to Carnival for the last 2 cruises and this one will be aboard Norwegian.

So far, we prefer Carnival, big ship, small ship, middle.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
[quote=NY Annie;22647423

So far, we prefer Carnival, big ship, small ship, middle.
[/quote]

I have always enjoyed carnival and the food has been superb. I agree with you on RC...didn't care for the food, although our friends that went with us on the last cruise on Carnival, complained the whole time how RC is better than this and that. You really can't beat the prices on Carnival in my experiences. A seven day to the Mexican Riviera was 379.00 and on RC it was 600.00. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises and 1 R.C.

As far as the OP. Some people get seasick and some don't. Take some dramamene or other motion sickness pill the day you get on just in case.
In my experience I have the motion sickness problem after I get off the ship and not during. After our last cruise my head was spinning for about a week and my ears were hurting. I went to the doctor and nothing was wrong. I think my body was so used to the motion on the sea that it had a hard time getting back to normal.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I have always enjoyed carnival and the food has been superb. I agree with you on RC...didn't care for the food, although our friends that went with us on the last cruise on Carnival, complained the whole time how RC is better than this and that. You really can't beat the prices on Carnival in my experiences. A seven day to the Mexican Riviera was 379.00 and on RC it was 600.00. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises and 1 R.C.

As far as the OP. Some people get seasick and some don't. Take some dramamene or other motion sickness pill the day you get on just in case.
In my experience I have the motion sickness problem after I get off the ship and not during. After our last cruise my head was spinning for about a week and my ears were hurting. I went to the doctor and nothing was wrong. I think my body was so used to the motion on the sea that it had a hard time getting back to normal.

It's funny you mention the motion sickness on land. That's also when I get it. So the night before we hit homeport, I take a bonine/dramamine, waldram. The longest it lasts with me is a few days but that was after our 2 weeks in the Med.

BTW, Carnival ships are more stable in rough weather - it's in the design - far less side-side rocking than most ships.

We generally travel during hurricane season - September after the kids go back to school through early October when the prices are rock bottom and you're right, prices are incredible.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Neither my girlfriend nor myself have ever been on a cruise, but I just booked a 7 day one from New York to the Bahamas in a suite on the Norwegian Gem. Very excited!

We got the suite for $879 per person (plus another few hundred bucks in taxes, travel protection, and the upfront tipping thing that Norwegian does) which seemed like a pretty good deal for a week long cruise.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Neither my girlfriend nor myself have ever been on a cruise, but I just booked a 7 day one from New York to the Bahamas in a suite on the Norwegian Gem. Very excited!

We got the suite for $879 per person (plus another few hundred bucks in taxes, travel protection, and the upfront tipping thing that Norwegian does) which seemed like a pretty good deal for a week long cruise.
You're going to have a ball, enjoy every moment.
Your cost are about right for this time of the year.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I just heard, on the radio, that Carnival/Costa is offering victims a 30% discount on their next voyage. Lucky people!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I enjoy cruising. We are leaving on another one in just 25 days.
This will be our 1st time on Carnival so I'm curious how it compared to Royal Carribean and Celebrity.

So far RC is the best fit for us so far...but Carnival is a wee bit cheaper so we'll see. Not that it really matters...I'll be on vacation, I don't have to cook, clean, plan the meals or the activities.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I enjoy cruising. We are leaving on another one in just 25 days.
This will be our 1st time on Carnival so I'm curious how it compared to Royal Carribean and Celebrity.

So far RC is the best fit for us so far...but Carnival is a wee bit cheaper so we'll see. Not that it really matters...I'll be on vacation, I don't have to cook, clean, plan the meals or the activities.

Haven't been on Celebrity but I would take Carnival over R.C any day. I think Carnival has more children on board but with the camp carnival they keep pretty busy. If I can get a great cruise for cheaper that's what I do. You can't beat the carnival prices. It's all a matter of preference though. good luck

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises