Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 09:45 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,555,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Should you desire to take a luxury trans Atlantic cruise, there is at least one cruise line that allows you to bring your dog or cat. This is no small feat considering that cruise ships must adhere to very strict standards for cleanliness, provide comfort and an enjoyable experience to all guests - even those who don't like animals, and respect the local laws of the port cities they visit.
Pets on Vacation: Cruise with Your Dog or Cat on Cunard Lines - InlandSoCal.com - Pets

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-05-2014 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues, Read City-Data Terms of Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Like i said earlier , if pets are allowed on cruises, I can guarantee there will be two less passengers.
no, a lot more than 2. I can't think of many of my friends or family that would even consider cruising on a ship that allowed pets. I love my dogs with all my heart, so do many of us: I miss them, when we go places without them, but there are places animals do belong and places they do not: ships are one of the places they do not belong.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,740,591 times
They are only allowed in the kennel area and the only ships that allow them are not really "Cruise" ships. They are transatlantic crossings and are one way tickets. People who spend one season in Europe and the other part of the year in the USA, and do not fly, will take the ship for the crossing and their pet goes with them.

It's not the same thing at all as going from port to port to port, where a dog would have to have a different set of health papers everywhere the ship stops, and you end up back where you started.

I looked into it, when moving from Britain to the USA and it was cheaper to take the ocean liner than it was to pay for airfare for myself and 5 dogs. However, there is a height limit for dogs and 2 of mine were well over. The kennels were located under a stairway and tall dogs would not fit.

The dogs had to stay in the kennel area and had their own full time attendant. All very nice, but not really a vacation cruise.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,708,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They are only allowed in the kennel area and the only ships that allow them are not really "Cruise" ships. They are transatlantic crossings and are one way tickets. People who spend one season in Europe and the other part of the year in the USA, and do not fly, will take the ship for the crossing and their pet goes with them.

It's not the same thing at all as going from port to port to port, where a dog would have to have a different set of health papers everywhere the ship stops, and you end up back where you started.

I looked into it, when moving from Britain to the USA and it was cheaper to take the ocean liner than it was to pay for airfare for myself and 5 dogs. However, there is a height limit for dogs and 2 of mine were well over. The kennels were located under a stairway and tall dogs would not fit.

The dogs had to stay in the kennel area and had their own full time attendant. All very nice, but not really a vacation cruise.
What did you do with the two dogs that were over the height limit?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,740,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What did you do with the two dogs that were over the height limit?
Myself and all 5 dogs flew on British Airways. They don't have a size limit for a dog as accompanied baggage (or didn't at that time), and no limit to the number of pets who could accompany an owner on the flight.

Sending the 2 large dogs as air cargo all by themselves would have cost more than the fare for myself and all 5 dogs. Instead of a couple of thousand dollars each as carge, they went for $125 as accompanied baggage on the same flight I was on.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Myself and all 5 dogs flew on British Airways. They don't have a size limit for a dog as accompanied baggage (or didn't at that time), and no limit to the number of pets who could accompany an owner on the flight.

Sending the 2 large dogs as air cargo all by themselves would have cost more than the fare for myself and all 5 dogs. Instead of a couple of thousand dollars each as carge, they went for $125 as accompanied baggage on the same flight I was on.
When our daughter and son in law moved to Poland for a couple of years, we kept their Great Dane. She was over size for shipping. They did take their other 2 dogs and a cat.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,935,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When our daughter and son in law moved to Poland for a couple of years, we kept their Great Dane. She was over size for shipping. They did take their other 2 dogs and a cat.
My sister was able to ship her Mastiffs back from Scotland to the US. United handled them I think. It wasn't cheap at $500 per dog plus the air kennels plus the vet certificate, although it was cheaper than on the way over when the dogs had to go through a six month quarantine upon arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises