Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:58 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times

Advertisements

I moved last year from Savannah, GA (my family is still there) to Seattle, WA for a new job. This summer I want to take my first cruise so I figure I have 2 options...

1) Fly back to Georgia, visit family, then take a cruise out of Florida

2) Stay here in WA and cruise Alaska

I'm leaning towards Alaska because if there is one thing I don't miss about living in the south is the heat... I can only imagine it's a lot worse down in the Bahamas or Caribbean.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Being in Seattle you can take advantage of lower prices on a cruise to Alaska by going early or late in the season. The first is May 6th this year.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM

12,849 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Actually, the heat in the Caribbean is generally not as bad as it is in the Southern US during the summer months. Since the islands are all relatively small plots of land surrounded by water, they tend to remain fairly comfortable. More often than not, there's a nice sea breeze (especially in the evening) to cool you off. I'm not a fan of heat at all. However, few things are more pleasant (in my opinion) than a Caribbean evening. Your cruise ship will most likely be fairly comfortable as you'll be moving at a good pace and you'll be out on the water. I would not compare the temperature to Savannah in the summer. What you'll experience onboard and in the bahamas will be more comfortable.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,608 times
Personally, I loved the Alaskan cruise I went on. Beautiful! ...but there were only a handful of people near our age onboard (30). The Caribbean will be more of a younger crowd.

So...depends on what type of vacation you want...

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM

426 posts, read 558,855 times
Everybody who works for me has been on a cruise, i love to see all the pics and listen to their stories- maybe one day...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I've done both, and definitely prefer Alaska. To me, there was a different feel to both. Cruising the Caribbean felt very much like a party trip; where you were going was secondary. Alaska was a much more casual trip, all about the views, the partying was much less noticeable.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Alaska will be a lot more interesting.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
You have a huge cost advantage by doing an Alaska cruise since you're in the PNW. As Hemlock mentioned there are significant savings by going in May or September. May is normally the driest month in Alaska and September can be wet with less light. There are other considerations like if you want good glacier viewing or wildlife viewing or both which can depend on the month you go.
For some really good info on cruising, particularly to Alaska check out CruiseCritic.
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
They are 2 different creatures, an Alaskan cruise and a Caribbean cruise! In Alaska, you'll want to see ALL the sights...it's more touristy and "go, go, go" than the Caribbean, where it's all about relaxation and fun, unimportant things!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
I moved last year from Savannah, GA (my family is still there) to Seattle, WA for a new job. This summer I want to take my first cruise so I figure I have 2 options...

1) Fly back to Georgia, visit family, then take a cruise out of Florida

2) Stay here in WA and cruise Alaska

I'm leaning towards Alaska because if there is one thing I don't miss about living in the south is the heat... I can only imagine it's a lot worse down in the Bahamas or Caribbean.

Thoughts?
They are such different experiences. Alaska you do for the sites and it is what we call a very port intensive experience. Of course, for you, it would be a lot less expensive even though Alaska is more expensive than other cruises, you won't have to worry about transportation.

Cruising the Caribbean will be very warm during the summer and you do not have as many cruising options as some of the lines move their ships from the Caribbean to Bermuda, the Meditaranian and Alaska. You also will encounter a lot more families on a Caribbean cruise. Of course, you haven't said if you will be cruising with a family or just yourself, maybe someone else.

There is no right or wrong answer as they are very different. 1/2 of me says, for a real, true cruise experience you need to start with the Caribbean and the other 1/2 says, do Alaska,it is a wonderful adventure.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises