Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,862,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Have you ever thought that the "bad" parents are on vacation too?

No one likes screaming kids but it's a big boat; you could have easily went elsewhere. Should you have to go somewhere else? Of course not but the point is, why put up with it then eventually approach people on a high horse about parenting when they spent the same amount you did (probably more with more butts to fit in a room) to enjoy the same space you are?

Pay for the entire boat if you want complete peace and quiet or realize that there are seven billion people on this Earth and, guess what, some kids cry and scream and their parents won't do anything about it. Oh yeah, kids just happen to get excited and like to have fun on cruises, too.

That's just life and hardly a ridiculous occurance on a cruise ship. Hell, that's a regular occurance at most restaurants.

Never ceases to amaze me how people will continually do something and complain about it instead of avoiding it or changing their routine. That is the definition of crazy but, hey, tourists are like that.
Never ceases to amaze me that parents allow bad behavior. This was not a fussy child, these were out of control banshees and I'm sure she wasn't the only person to be bothered by their behavior. I would have said the same thing to the parents. Just because you pay for something, it doesn't give you carte blanch to be an ignorant ass, and that's what parents who allow their children to behave like that are.

It sounds like perhaps you are one of those parents that would rather suck on your Bloody Mary and let your spawn annoy everyone else than actually be a parent. Parenting doesn't end when the vacation starts, it's a 24/7/365 job, and if you don't want to do it, don't have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,281,207 times
These sound like Carnival type situations. Never experienced anything out of the ordinary on Royal Caribbean.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,891,452 times
Sailing on Princess once and while lounging in the sun near the pool I glanced over and noticed that my Mai Tai was nearly empty!!!!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,727,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Most ridiculous?

I'm probably going to hell for laughing at all of this, but...

I was on a carnival cruise once, and in attendance was a tour group of 150 BLIND people. The first thing the cruise tour guide did? Took them on a tour of the art gallery on board. That 9 day Caribbean cruise was one of the more entertaining ones I've been on. They set up little "Kiddie" pools, filled with cat litter, for the seeing eye dogs. Blind people were getting stuck in corners. Whole "trains" of them would be walking the halls, with one leader, feeling with their cane, and about 10-15 blind people, holding each other's shoulders like a conga line, following behind.

What was really funny was when they went out on deck. As most of you know, exterior doors have a metal "lip" on them, to keep water out. Well, the seeing eye dogs would step over the lip, and the blind people would accidentally trip on them!

The absolute best story from the whole trip, though, was during the Panama Canal excursion. We were on a 4-story boat, with a couple hundred people. The whole group of blind people were on the tour with us. Out on the top deck? A blind man with a seeing eye dog in one hand, and a video camera in the other... pointed right at the wall of the ship. We very slowly turned him, so he was facing the right way.

...Then there was our "cruise to nowhere". On the first day at sea, a hurricane swept through and hit BOTH our ports of call. With no port to pull into, we did circles in the Gulf of Mexico, north of Cuba, for the rest of the trip. Towards the end, they started to run out of food (since the cruise usually restocks at each port of call). Everyone got a voucher, offering 50% off the next cruise. We used it a few months later!
That is the funniest thing I heard all day. I'm surprised a group of kids didn't deiced to rearrange all the deck furniture

Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,962,032 times
My funniest cruise experience wasn't on a cruise...but the RC cruise ship pulled up to St. Martin, a bunch of cruisers took the bus to Orient Beach. A couple made their way down to the "clothing optional" end, got terribly drunk, and forgot to re-dress when making their way back to the bus stop. Really, they weren't the couple you wanted to see naked. And the man was knee deep in rough waves when he fell. He had a horrible time trying to get back up and I told my husband he had to go help if the man didn't get up soon. Happy for us, he was able to get back up and walk over to the bus stop to get back to his cruise. Still naked...

Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 AM

13,374 posts, read 28,622,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I would never "have went" elsewhere although we did not have a relaxing meal and changed our time and location to avoid them. Is the money they pay for their cruise better than mine? BTW, those children were travelling FREE.

So according to you, Skiscree, everyone else should be prepared to move out of their way? let the children rule so the poor parents get a vacation. My vacation takes a backseat to the vacation of irresponsible parents? Next cruise, I assure you, I will not cruise on the line again - or any other where children are free.
Ditto Annie....if parents are in need of a relaxing vacation leave the kids home with Granny and mind you these are the types that would screech to high heaven if one of their lil darlings were hurt or injured because they were allowed to be unruly.....waiters & waitresses having to navigate a dining room with hot food & beverage and you have lil hooligans racing around...grrrrrrrrr

Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,486,736 times
I've been on all the major cruise lines and have to say that I've never noticed anything rediculous.

Maybe I've been having to much fun and paying too much attention to my own business that sitting and watching people eat or notice what they wear.

Do people really do that? Spend $$ on a cruise and then just sit and watch what and how much people eat? I find this very odd behavior.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,045,885 times
Actually, to the poster who believes that only bad things happen on CCL, out of my 10 cruises so far, 8 were Carnival, the one on RCL was my last on that line and the one on NCL was also my last on that line - not one of the screaming children situations were on CCL. Add in that CCL has the best cabins, the lowest prices, and the nicest other cruisers, I'll be taking my next cruises on Carnival.

And far from watching other people, we are busy having conversations with new friends - well, except for watching some of the fun antics and laughing ourselves silly. Sometimes watching other people is better than the shows.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 AM

521 posts, read 857,276 times
Quote:
So according to you, Skiscree, everyone else should be prepared to move out of their way? let the children rule so the poor parents get a vacation. My vacation takes a backseat to the vacation of irresponsible parents? Next cruise, I assure you, I will not cruise on the line again - or any other where children are free.

No, but way to generalize the statement and solidify (marginally) my belief that it's impossible to have a two-sided conversation through an internet medium.

I was simply saying that, especially with business catering to tourons, you gotta be prepared to run into some less than sultry behavior from guests of all ages, just not kids.

Your last line of your post should have been what you did in the first place, IMHO. At the very least you could have done some research on the line to see what kind of environment you'd be crusing in. I highly doubt you were the first passengers on that line or that ship for that matter.

Poor parenting should never ruin your vacation because I think there's something you could do about it rather than putting up with it for a week, letting it ruin your vacation, then starting a topic on a messageboard about it after the fact.

FWIW, I have no kids. I just grew up at Disney World and around touron central so I must be used to idiot parents and realize the kids can't help it, I have legs to walk away, and I'll be around for at least (I hope) 60 more years so I'm not going to let something so petty ruin a vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Do people really do that? Spend $$ on a cruise and then just sit and watch what and how much people eat? I find this very odd behavior.
My vacations are for fun, not for judging everyone around me because I think their kids suck or they're eating too much.

Reminds me of this saying:

"Intelligent people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,861,973 times
Quote:
Actually, to the poster who believes that only bad things happen on CCL, out of my 10 cruises so far, 8 were Carnival, the one on RCL was my last on that line and the one on NCL was also my last on that line - not one of the screaming children situations were on CCL. Add in that CCL has the best cabins, the lowest prices, and the nicest other cruisers, I'll be taking my next cruises on Carnival.

And far from watching other people, we are busy having conversations with new friends - well, except for watching some of the fun antics and laughing ourselves silly. Sometimes watching other people is better than the shows.
Buy 100 Carnival shares (CCL) and get on-board credit as a shareholder perk. $125 for a seven day cruise, $250 for over seven days. And they pay a dividend as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises