Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times

Advertisements

On January 26, 2004, the U.S. first welcomed the Queen Mary 2 (QM2) at Fort Lauderdale FL, being that it was winter and she would then continue on a World Cruise to Rio de Janeiro for Carnival and onward to the Southern Hemisphere. She was seen in New York later, in April of that year, when she switched over to the spring / summer / fall transatlantic schedule.

Here's the ship's inaugural arrival at Port Everglades (FLL) FL. The channel into the harbor is really narrow, so it was not possible for a flotilla to tag alongside the great ship.

http://www.qm2.org.uk/images/exterior/26jan2004_ftl.jpg

I have seen this ship. It is incredible. Has anyone sailed on her? Do you know anyone who has sailed on her? What do you, or they, have to say about it? Before leaving this planet, I would really want to at least do the standard 5-day NY to UK crossing.

Check out the YouTube video. All the froo froo stuff in the middle of the video is less interesting, but the food, movies, and recreational options would interest me, as well as the opportunity to be on a such a great ocean liner.

Cunard - Queen Mary 2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Found another YouTube! I asked one of my friends what he was going to do in Europe. He jokingly said "Make holiday mit der Deutsch," which means, in 'Murrican, "Go on vacation with the Germans."

Well, "der Deutsch" did a good job with this one (montage and music) of the QM2 leaving the expensive city of Hamburg on the North Sea. The video kind of sputters after about 4 minutes, focusing on city landmarks and the landscape, so they could have cut it off around then.

Note that, at about 1:40, you are able to see her flying the German flag. It is really neat how they hoist of the flag of whichever country's waters they are in. In addition to the Union Jack, I've only seen QM2 flying American and Canadian flags. Note how the ship dwarfs all the buildings adjacent to the channel.

Die Queen Mary 2 in Hamburg - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises