Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was a travel agent for 10 years, just retired, you have to be in the business or travel to know. Fall color cruises out of CAnada or New England, of course there are few, if any children, they are in school. Canada/Alaska cruises are very popular for families, they have been for about the last 5 years. 10 years ago, no, there were only a handful of ships that did Alaska, now every major cruise company does the itinerary, most with 2 or 3 ships. Some leaving from Vacouver, many now leave from Seattle and of course a lot leave from Alaska and sail south. Even Disney is now doing Alaska. Do you think they would do Alaska if it wasn't a popular family cruise?

I am sorry I upset you, and that wasn't my intention, but I did want to clarify, if you haven't cruised, which you did say you hadn't on the drink thread, you really do not have a full understanding of what cruising is like and who cruises where.. 30 years ago families rarely cruised at all. It was for the upper middle class and the wealthy...it was also a vacation enjoyed mostly by those 50 and older. Times have changed so much and so has cruising. That is my point. Sorry if you took offense.
Actually those fall Canada cruises have become quite popular with parents of toddlers and preschoolers over the past half a dozen or so years. Also the Brits have a week long school holiday that falls in late September/early October and they also sail that itinerary. A friend recently returned from one and said that over half of early seating at dinner was families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually those fall Canada cruises have become quite popular with parents of toddlers and preschoolers over the past half a dozen or so years. Also the Brits have a week long school holiday that falls in late September/early October and they also sail that itinerary. A friend recently returned from one and said that over half of early seating at dinner was families.
The only one we have taken was last year and it was a 12 dayer. There was not a child on the ship I don't think and it was a mega ship, but, as we know, longer cruises are not as popular with families. I don't think, in all my years of being an agent I booked more than about 1/2 dozen New England cruises. That is probably why I don't associate them with families. I have booked several Alaskan cruises for multi generation families. In fact I did one last year for 18 people, from grandma and grandad to toddlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises