Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,015,574 times

Advertisements

Carnival Costa has had its problems and some were posted here.
Now we hear that another of their cruise ships, Carnival Triumph, has had a fire on board and has suffered a great power failure and is awaiting two tugs to pull them ashore which they do not expect to happen until Thursday.

The fire broke out Sunday morning in the engine room.

Busted toilets, hot rooms, headaches after fire strands cruise ship in Gulf - CNN.com

Toby Barlow's wife Ann told him there was "sewage running down the walls and floors" with passengers being asked to defecate in bags and urinate in showers due to a lack of functioning toilets. Food lines ran 3½ hours long and some, like herself, slept outside to keep cool.

I would really think twice before going with Carnival. Do they pay their people less, I wonder?

It probably is a good idea to opt for a balcony if you can afford it. When these things happen there is often no air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,571,402 times
The way I look at these things is this.....They have how many cruises going all all times and how many of the end up like this?

We were in the Celebrity Infinity about a year ago and got stuck in Ketichan because of electical problems.

I'm not going to just the entire Celebrity fleet because of a problem on one of their ships.

I'm not dismissing what has happened to those poor people but I prefer to look at the law of averages.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,177,191 times
Ironically the Triumph is the ship that was seized by the USCG after the Concordia disaster.

Carnival is one of the lowest priced cruise lines out there, and there's no one who sill convince me that one of the reasons is due to deferred maintenance.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,380,410 times
Truth is...sh** happens. This will not lessen my desire to cruise. I absolutely love it!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Truth is...sh** happens. This will not lessen my desire to cruise. I absolutely love it!
Nor should it. You just might want to try to avoid Carnival and their owned subsidiaries.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Ironically the Triumph is the ship that was seized by the USCG after the Concordia disaster.

Carnival is one of the lowest priced cruise lines out there, and there's no one who sill convince me that one of the reasons is due to deferred maintenance.
Yeah. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Cost cutting measures that border on the dangerous - or, in reality, ARE dangerous.

There was even some second thing, on another Carnival/Costa ship I think. I could have posted it on DC I think.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
The way I look at these things is this.....They have how many cruises going all all times and how many of the end up like this?

We were in the Celebrity Infinity about a year ago and got stuck in Ketichan because of electical problems.

I'm not going to just the entire Celebrity fleet because of a problem on one of their ships.

I'm not dismissing what has happened to those poor people but I prefer to look at the law of averages.
Carnival owns Costa. This is the third problem that reached the national press that I know of, and who knows how many other mishaps they have had. As the other poster said, they are very inexpensive and there are consequences to cutting costs too much it seems.

You did not get stuck at sea with sewage running down the walls, I gather. If that were the case, perhaps you would have a different opinion.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,571,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Carnival owns Costa. This is the third problem that reached the national press that I know of, and who knows how many other mishaps they have had. As the other poster said, they are very inexpensive and there are consequences to cutting costs too much it seems.

You did not get stuck at sea with sewage running down the walls, I gather. If that were the case, perhaps you would have a different opinion.

No...that just shows you can't assume things on the internet. I have not been stuck at sea..but I will still cruise Carnival, if the price is right and it's going where I want to go..... I still fly even tho planes have crashed, I still drive even tho cars have crashed...I've even crossed the street even tho pedestrians got hit.

I understand that these people are miserable right now and I am in no way making light of it but that does NOT change the fact that for each disaster a thousand other cruises go out and nothing happens but a good time.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,085,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Carnival Costa has had its problems and some were posted here.
Now we hear that another of their cruise ships, Carnival Triumph, has had a fire on board and has suffered a great power failure and is awaiting two tugs to pull them ashore which they do not expect to happen until Thursday.

The fire broke out Sunday morning in the engine room.

Busted toilets, hot rooms, headaches after fire strands cruise ship in Gulf - CNN.com

Toby Barlow's wife Ann told him there was "sewage running down the walls and floors" with passengers being asked to defecate in bags and urinate in showers due to a lack of functioning toilets. Food lines ran 3½ hours long and some, like herself, slept outside to keep cool.

I would really think twice before going with Carnival. Do they pay their people less, I wonder?

It probably is a good idea to opt for a balcony if you can afford it. When these things happen there is often no air conditioning.
This is the second Carnival disaster in the past few years. As for opting for a balcony? Yes, it is a good idea if you can afford it, but we need to relax and remember, like anything else, we hear the bad, that is what makes news. There are still a very slight chance any of us will see any, even minor occurrances on a cruise. Whether I am or am not a lover of Carnival, I would not be afraid to sail them. When you think of the number of pasengers they handle a year and the number of ships they have, I think they have a darn good record of safety..

Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,627,314 times
My mother is always fussing about how wonderful cruises are and how I should try them, after seeing cruise disasters on the news, I say to her NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises