Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times

Advertisements

I've decided this summer that the wife and I will be taking a couples vacation without our kids. This will be our first time away from our kids in over 7 years, and I want it to be relaxing and more private than not. I am leaning towards either a Sandals Inclusive resort or a Caribbean cruise for 7 to 10 days. Neither of us is a drinker, so the free drinks do not matter.

Any suggestions for cruise line? Or route? We will be in the SouthEast this summer visiting family so driving to a port in Florida isn't out of the equation, nor would flying to a port.

Our goal is to be a more relaxing vacation, than a busy excursion filled vacation.
It seems, upon initial research, that a cruise offers more bang for the buck, but I am not 100% sold on it.

Thoughts and pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 02:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I've taken 3 cruises, two with Princess and one on Norwegian. I have never been to an all inclusive, but my daughter-in-laws parents think very highly of them. They love the "everything included" aspect including booze of which you are not interested. It's been several years since I was on a cruise and at that time booze was extra.

Personally I am a fan of a cruise over an all-inclusive. In my mind, being in one place for a week seems "trapped" to me. A cruise offers up 3-4 interesting ports to spend a good chunk of the day whether it be chilling on a beach or taking an excursion. I've seen many interesting place on the 3 cruises I've taken (Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Bermuda (my least favorite). I can't imagine myself spending an entire week in the same place, but that's just me.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:19 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
If you want relaxation and privacy, I'd stick with an AI. There are many adults only resorts, and in Jamaica there is a chain called Couples Resorts. They have a lot of inclusions above a regular AI, and it's all couples, not just 18+.

Privacy is also better at an AI. You'd have a terrace or balcony, whereas on a ship, you'd have to be willing to pay considerably more for a balcony, otherwise be in a room with just a window or porthole and how much time would you want to be in a small room. Room size is also a factor between the two options.

On a cruise, you don't have to get off the ship, and the ship would be pretty empty in port days, which could be a consideration, but you don't have the sand and sea experience.

Both options have the choice of excursions or nothing at all.

Last edited by Katnan; 03-02-2018 at 05:34 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Although I personally don't like the AI concept, it absolutely sounds like a great fit for what you are describing. A cruise will have a different vibe, different atmosphere than what I think you are looking for. [For example, getting a table for two for dinner on a cruise is sometimes a problem.]

I'd suggest you look at Sandal's Resorts. No children allowed and the reviews from our friends and acquaintances have been very positive. Frequently Asked Questions | Sandals Resorts

Old 03-02-2018, 11:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
+ Another on an AI vs cruise...
Much more 'intimate' and together time at an AI vs a 3,000 - 5,000 person cruise ship in our experience.

Unless you are doing a small(er) ship cruise to some where 'interesting', I would not think that a few port stops to buy T shirts in typical hot, crowded island ports would be of big interest to you. Add in the usual closet sized ship rooms vs a decent 'suite' at an AI, and it is an easy choice, imo.

Cancun, Rivera Maya, Jamaica, T & C, et al all have adults only AIs; the sheer number and options via Trip Advisor et al, will be overwhelming.

Pick an adult only AI, in your budget, and with reasonably priced and easy flights and go have a great week off from the kids!
GL, mD

Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Thanks everyone. We’ve decided the AI is the way to go for us. Now to choose the location.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:33 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Thanks everyone. We’ve decided the AI is the way to go for us. Now to choose the location.
Great! I'd still say the atmosphere if the resort matters more than the location. You've already stated that excursions and sight seeing aren't what you are after for this trip.

Leave the kids (yours and everyone else's) out if this holiday entirely and Go to an AI that doesn't allow children. That should be the first priority. Second priority is cost. Third priority is how easy it is to get a flight to the resort.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I like both!! The only problem cruising in the summer, you may have plenty of kids on the ship. You are leaving yours home for a relaxing adult vacation so at that time of year Sandals would get my vote.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Great! I'd still say the atmosphere if the resort matters more than the location. You've already stated that excursions and sight seeing aren't what you are after for this trip.

Leave the kids (yours and everyone else's) out if this holiday entirely and Go to an AI that doesn't allow children. That should be the first priority. Second priority is cost. Third priority is how easy it is to get a flight to the resort.
That is our next obstacle. We are already dropping $5k on flights to get flights to Atlanta, and now its to find something nice, but that won't put us in debt.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:43 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
That is our next obstacle. We are already dropping $5k on flights to get flights to Atlanta, and now its to find something nice, but that won't put us in debt.
5K on flights to Atlanta? From where? That's not just for 2 people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises