Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

If so your experience? I'm free to travel but many of my friends/family are not. Jobs, family, money.

Sailing the Baltics in August with son and daughter but I picked up total tab, can not do this every time I want to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:43 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,858 times
I did once, on a quick 4-5 day out of Miami.. Had a great time! Nice to have that small room all to myself. They sat me with 3-4 other solo males so I quickly made friends.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
they have solo cruises/rooms now, it's priced about half way the "double" price, if a normal cruise for a share room was $1000 ($500/person), the solo would be $750. At least you don't have to pay the full $1000 yourself, but you get a smaller room as well

Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I did once, on a quick 4-5 day out of Miami.. Had a great time! Nice to have that small room all to myself. They sat me with 3-4 other solo males so I quickly made friends.
That sounds encouraging!! Was looking at cruises to Cuba but alas no solo studio rooms

Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 AM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Keep posting, maybe you'd find a roommate.
Just like camping, bunch of strangers sharing a open air lodge or a campground.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That sounds encouraging!! Was looking at cruises to Cuba but alas no solo studio rooms
not a cruise... but this sounds fun for cuba
https://www.gadventures.com/trips/cuba-explorer/CCCE/ <-- no experience with them, browser showed it as ad from seeing cuba, but it is pricey for a single's room
edit:noticed they have a more "cruise" like cuba tour too, not sure how you "cruise" around a small island though without going on foot for the sightseeing

Old 03-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not a cruise... but this sounds fun for cuba
https://www.gadventures.com/trips/cuba-explorer/CCCE/ <-- no experience with them, browser showed it as ad from seeing cuba, but it is pricey for a single's room
edit:noticed they have a more "cruise" like cuba tour too, not sure how you "cruise" around a small island though without going on foot for the sightseeing
Very interesting but at their prices I could pay for a friend or one of the kiddos to cruise with me lol, but I have bookmarked it

Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
NCL has Studio rooms which were built specifically for singles. I don''t know if one of those ships goes to Cuba, but if I were going to cruise as a single, I sure as heck would be using NCL for those studio rooms. They even have their own lounge area.

I cruised alone about 30 years ago on Princess when I was 32 or so. They sat me at a table with other single women, some of whom were sharing a cabin. Since this was before cruising was so mainstream, I don't know if my experience would have any bearing on the current experience. But it was a great trip. I ended up getting involved with an Italian First Officer and had a 2 year, long distance relationship with him. And one absolutely amazing trip to Italy.

I took several group tours (China, Russia) when I was single. Frankly, I felt much more comfortable on them than I did on the cruise ship.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Check out solo prices at vacations to go.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:47 PM

634 posts, read 896,952 times
I used to cruise solo a lot, sometimes I had to pay more, sometimes I didn't. The experience matched my personality, I enjoyed the quiet and didn't mind doing things alone, however I almost always met people and soon I had dining companions in addition to my assigned table which some cruise lines have done away with.

Solo or party of ten, a cruise can be anything you want it to be. I once spent two full days in my stateroom, meals and all, due to a minor bout of the blues and I didn't want to be bothered, my steward was very understanding and adapted his routine to service me accordingly, I thought that was really classy.

Once I had lunch with a woman and her daughter and had a great time; they wanted to meet again but I shied away, its common for solos to feel they are intruding; I saw them again at disembarkation and found out how bummed they were because they really had looked forward to my company, of course I felt terrible, moral of the story: if you're into making friends, don't hesitate on offers to dine/socialize together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises