Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
most of the workers on Carnival Ships earn only about $50 a MONTH. And they work often over 100 hours a week. Now, according to their reports, the average[ not median] employee makes $2,000 a month. It is only that high because the average includes Captain, officers, cruise director,dancers, singers, entertainers, etc. But the ones who do the crap work make squat. They need our tips.
I sure would like to see where you're getting that information.

I was in a relationship with a First Officer in Princess. In 1992-1993. The workers who do "crap work" earned more than $50 a month even back then.back

I totally agree that they need our tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:53 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
I have seen sites that indicate from $2/day to $50-$80/month plus tips for laundry workers/cabin stewards. Also have seen that with tips they can make up to $3000/ month. I was surprised to see the low base wage although it does emphasize the importance of tips.

I do wonder if the auto tipping has increased the overall tips received by crew or if the old way of handing envelopes was better for them.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I sure would like to see where you're getting that information.

I was in a relationship with a First Officer in Princess. In 1992-1993. The workers who do "crap work" earned more than $50 a month even back then.back

I totally agree that they need our tips.
agree with you those figures are way off. Funny we got on this topic on our cruise last week. Our foster daughter tips way over the top, her partner was really pissed with her for carrying this too far and they got into a pretty heated argument. our foster daughter has the opinion they work for nothing and hate their jobs. Where she got this God only knows but she is a bleeding heart liberal.

I will add, we are generous with our tips and do tip some crew members separately as well as the daily service charge.

I might also add, for those who say they have had personal conversations with crew members, don't always believe what they tell you.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I have seen sites that indicate from $2/day to $50-$80/month plus tips for laundry workers/cabin stewards. Also have seen that with tips they can make up to $3000/ month. I was surprised to see the low base wage although it does emphasize the importance of tips.

I do wonder if the auto tipping has increased the overall tips received by crew or if the old way of handing envelopes was better for them.
unless they pooled tips, it's obviously worse for crew members who didn't get any envelopes - which includes many people who provide direct customer service but no of the ongoing basis where someone would have thought to give them an envelope

Generally speaking, I think they should charge more for the cruise and compensate the workers more fairly, although there is apparently some tax implications where income to the cruiseline would be taxed and therefore not all of it would go to the workers, the way they theoretically get with cash tips, and supposedly with the mandatory tipping amount (apparently some disagreement on whether all of that goes to workers anyway)

Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I might also add, for those who say they have had personal conversations with crew members, don't always believe what they tell you.
Ya mean I shouldn't have believed all that pillow talk?

Old 02-20-2019, 04:29 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Well for all those of you who hate tips and children and paying extra for dining in specialty restaurants good news. Virgin Cruises (new ship Scarlet Lady 2020) quoted price is what you pay outside of drinks. There is no tipping, no MDR or Buffet and several different types of restaurants from Beef & Fish to Italian to Mexican to Vegetarian and several more casual eateries that are also inclusive. Also no formal dress code so you don't have to dress up for dinner. I bet because of no buffet you will see less norovirus (hopefully). No assigned seating, eat when you want. Restaurants will be open late so if you like to eat later in the evening this is for you No idea on pricing, probably will be high but if you figure in all the other costs it may in the end be comparable. Food will be cooked to order. And last it is no one under 18. For one, I think the no tipping is great only because my issue with tipping is that the tips on drinks is excessive to the amount of work performed. Ordering a bottle of wine doesn't deserve an 18% tip (over $7 on a $40 bottle of wine) or almost $2 on a glass of wine at the bar. I assume Branson is going to pay his staff pretty well.
Some of what I just read about Virgin Cruises sounds good, i.e. the emphasis on environmental protection and the lack of children (yippee) and no buffets, plus decent pay for employees, and no tipping; however, the ship is much too large at 110,000 GRT, still offers inside cabins (so they can advertise a low entry price, probably), has far too many passengers (1,408 passenger suites and staterooms, mostly double capacity so UGH, very high density) and the itineraries are just 4 & 5 days from Miami.

Sounds like a quick-getaway party ship for old-timers and their adult grandchildren, such as recent college graduates out to par-tay.

No thanks.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:19 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Cruise Line Employee Pay, Benefits, and other Compensation...

The majority of positions are based on an hourly wage and most employment opportunities on a cruise ship earn $1,200-$1,500 a month.
Read more details...
https://www.jobmonkey.com/cruise/earning_and_saving/

More info...
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Old 02-21-2019, 09:30 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Cruise Line Employee Pay, Benefits, and other Compensation...

The majority of positions are based on an hourly wage and most employment opportunities on a cruise ship earn $1,200-$1,500 a month.
Read more details...
https://www.jobmonkey.com/cruise/earning_and_saving/

More info...
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

As I understand it, the Job Monkey link is for vendors on the ship and not actually cruise line employees which have a different pay structure.

The second link provides the details. “For customer-facing positions, gratuities usually come into play. "Gratuities make up most of the compensation for crew in the housekeeping and food and beverage departments," says Collins. The base wage is usually low -- sometimes as little as $2 a day -- but income from tips can represent as much as 95 percent of the take-home total.”

“On the housekeeping side, a cabin steward salary can range between $650 and $1,150 per month, including gratuities, though on a luxury line the salary might exceed $2,000 per month once tips are factored in.”

Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ya mean I shouldn't have believed all that pillow talk?
hat depends on who is doing all that pillow talk?

Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
As I understand it, the Job Monkey link is for vendors on the ship and not actually cruise line employees which have a different pay structure.

The second link provides the details. “For customer-facing positions, gratuities usually come into play. "Gratuities make up most of the compensation for crew in the housekeeping and food and beverage departments," says Collins. The base wage is usually low -- sometimes as little as $2 a day -- but income from tips can represent as much as 95 percent of the take-home total.”

“On the housekeeping side, a cabin steward salary can range between $650 and $1,150 per month, including gratuities, though on a luxury line the salary might exceed $2,000 per month once tips are factored in.”
I can pretty much assure you that regardless of luxury lines or not, add gratuities and the extra many give to their cabin steward they make a little more than you realize. Think about how many cabins they have, how much the majority or certainly a lot of people leave for them at the end of the cruise and figure how many cruises a month they are cleaning cabins for: they; probably make close to $1,000 in tips alone. Add to that room and board plus the countries they originate from are very poor. Most are happy with the jobs they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises