Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:10 AM

128,209 posts, read 11,829,165 times

Advertisements

I leave cash for the room stewart. I would never dream of removing all tips, unless I were to leave cash. I have no problem with tips being added to cocktails etc, because if I was at a local bar, I'd tip there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM

19,374 posts, read 27,616,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
hat depends on who is doing all that pillow talk?
Hmmm. There WAS an Italian accent involved. 😍

Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM

14,331 posts, read 14,133,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think the argument is the required tipping. Or, in the cruise lines spin "We're putting this on your bill as a convenience"

I don't cruise.. I'm split on this.. A tip and amount should be elected to be given on specific service. So, including it automatically, I tend to disagree with. It's rather like the "20% gratuity added to all checks for parties of 8 or more" at a restaurant... Except you're dealing with many, many people.

The problem here is you're about being forced to tip for bad service, if it happens. But, so far as I know.. Cruise lines will remove that auto-gratuity if asked? So, you have the option to carry cash and tip or withhold tip if you so choose.
Unfortunately, tipping is a necessity whether it be in the USA or on cruise ships. My objection to it is not that it is for all practical purposes required. My objection is that the restaurants and cruise ships don't tell you that when you sign up for a cruise or have a meal at a restaurant. I wish that a mandatory service charge was simply added to these charges and the fact that it is was clearly stated on menus and all promotional materials for cruises. That's what the real problem is. Cruise lines love to advertise these discounted rates for cruises. Than when people find out that they are expected to tip another $150-$200 on top of that fare they become angry. They look for excuses: "The service was shabby (when it was not)". "The food was badly prepared (when it was fine)". The blame rests on the restaurants and cruise ships for trying to lull customers into a belief that having a cruise or just a meal will be cheaper than it really is. I look a menu at a restaurant and I automatically add 27% to menu prices. Twenty percent is for the tip and seven percent is for sales tax.

People who serve food for a living have to be able to pay rent, utilities, and other necessities just like the rest of us do. If they don't do their jobs capably, than complain about them to management. Or complain to them and make them do the job that they are supposed to do. The base pay for servers and those on cruise ships is below the standard American wage. If servers do not earn tips, they literally cannot earn a living. I am grateful I do not have to make my living as a server. I appreciate those who give me good service and I pay for it accordingly.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Unfortunately, tipping is a necessity whether it be in the USA or on cruise ships. My objection to it is not that it is for all practical purposes required. My objection is that the restaurants and cruise ships don't tell you that when you sign up for a cruise or have a meal at a restaurant. I wish that a mandatory service charge was simply added to these charges and the fact that it is was clearly stated on menus and all promotional materials for cruises. That's what the real problem is. Cruise lines love to advertise these discounted rates for cruises. Than when people find out that they are expected to tip another $150-$200 on top of that fare they become angry. They look for excuses: "The service was shabby (when it was not)". "The food was badly prepared (when it was fine)". The blame rests on the restaurants and cruise ships for trying to lull customers into a belief that having a cruise or just a meal will be cheaper than it really is. I look a menu at a restaurant and I automatically add 27% to menu prices. Twenty percent is for the tip and seven percent is for sales tax.

People who serve food for a living have to be able to pay rent, utilities, and other necessities just like the rest of us do. If they don't do their jobs capably, than complain about them to management. Or complain to them and make them do the job that they are supposed to do. The base pay for servers and those on cruise ships is below the standard American wage. If servers do not earn tips, they literally cannot earn a living. I am grateful I do not have to make my living as a server. I appreciate those who give me good service and I pay for it accordingly.
Pretty much agree. There are always those who say, just raise the prices to cover the gratuity but that is easier said than done. plus having kids who did earn money in college as servers, I can guaranty you they would rather have tips than a raise in their salary. I was a car hop one summer while in college. There is nothing worse than being stiffed and there isn't too much more fun than counting your tips when that long day is over.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 PM

3,185 posts, read 2,384,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I leave cash for the room stewart. I would never dream of removing all tips, unless I were to leave cash. I have no problem with tips being added to cocktails etc, because if I was at a local bar, I'd tip there too.
I don't mind tipping at the bar, however I do not like the mandatory 18-20% that cruise lines are putting on drinks. Since when does anyone tip $2 or more on one drink. A bottle of wine ordered at dinner and you are charged more than $6 tip for the wine steward (who doesn't even open or pour the wine) when you are already tipping the waiter for service. Tipping has gotten way out of hand.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:24 AM

774 posts, read 739,154 times
Considering how expensive Disney cruises are, I find their suggested (and automatically charged unless you opt out) tips more than reasonable. There are 3 wait staff and 1 cabin person they default the tips to. For a 7 day cruise it came out to be $190 for both of us.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Considering how expensive Disney cruises are, I find their suggested (and automatically charged unless you opt out) tips more than reasonable. There are 3 wait staff and 1 cabin person they default the tips to. For a 7 day cruise it came out to be $190 for both of us.
good to hear but I am having trouble with the math: that would be $95 a person and divided by 7 wouldbe #13.57 a day. I have done a lot of cruising and never seen a figure like that. $13.50 maybe: $14.00 maybe or even $13.95 but not $13.57. Are you sure that is exactly the right figure?

Old 04-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I don't mind tipping at the bar, however I do not like the mandatory 18-20% that cruise lines are putting on drinks. Since when does anyone tip $2 or more on one drink. A bottle of wine ordered at dinner and you are charged more than $6 tip for the wine steward (who doesn't even open or pour the wine) when you are already tipping the waiter for service. Tipping has gotten way out of hand.
I like, evening sun would never adjust the gratuities down unless I had a very good reason and I mean a very good one, but I agree with you the tips on drinks are really getting out of site and like many others, I often tip on top of the 18%: just habit I guess, but we do get really good service when the bar remembers us.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,128,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good to hear but I am having trouble with the math: that would be $95 a person and divided by 7 wouldbe #13.57 a day. I have done a lot of cruising and never seen a figure like that. $13.50 maybe: $14.00 maybe or even $13.95 but not $13.57. Are you sure that is exactly the right figure?
Disney just increased it to $13.50/day/person on 1/18/2019 ($189 per couple for a 7 day cruise). We went prior to the recent increase and gave additional tips to the state room host and one of the 3 dining room service team members.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 PM

19,925 posts, read 8,828,970 times
Before tips were automatic, you'd go into the dining room on the last night of the cruise (when you gave them your tip) and the dining room was half empty... people stiffing the servers who have waited on them hand and foot for 7 days... If you're going on Carnival, you're looking to get by on the cheap anyway, not surprised those people are looking to stiff the crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises