Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Cruises are priced "per person" BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. So, consider that the cabin is double the "per person" price. Very few lines have "solo" cabins...and those that do rarely are "1/2 price" of a standard cabin.
That's the good thing about vacations to go. There is a link that will show the price for a solo cruiser. They do the math for the applicable sing supplement. Most times it is double. Occasionally, there is a reduce charge of like 92% additional instead of the full 100% additional supplement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:00 PM

813 posts, read 402,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
I have never been on a cruise and am considering it now. However, I will be traveling alone. Are the prices all double occupancy? I am checking last minute cruises as my vacation is less than a month away. Also, how much money would I need to plan on above the quoted price of the cruise? I live 4 hours from departure city so would drive to that.
First, I would recommend the Solo Cruisers board at Cruise Critic. On that board, you can start a new thread asking any questions. Here is the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Secondly, there is an on going thread on the Solo Cruisers board that is frequently updated with last minute deals. That thread is called: "Post Cruise Line Single Supplement/Solo Bargains Here."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2396334

ETA: NCL normally has the best deals for solos. It is hard to get a single supplement discount on the other cruise lines. Note that many times, the solo Studio cabins on NCL can be more expensive than a regular cabin which is also larger. So always check and compare the price for a Studio vs Inside, Oceanview and Balcony.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 09-25-2018 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
Some good advice given here, and it boils down to research and doing your homework, so to speak.

I totally agree with everything JKgourmet said, and travel agents have not gone the way Blockbuster, not really.

The travel agent I use deals with American Express and Cruise Planners, still has an office in her home, with 2 gals to help her. Someone is available all the time, nice talking to someone I've met, same people all the time. She is a top seller for 3 cruise lines every year and checking prices can't beat hers. If a price drops by the cruise line after I book, she gives me the lower price.

I've been cruising since 1982, six different lines, thirty plus cruises, over 2/3's of them alone. At this stage of my life, I sail for itinerary, don't worry about paying a single supplement. The key is do what is best for you, blanket statements about what is best won't work. It has to be what you are comfortable with once you do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises