Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:53 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times

Advertisements

Hello we have two children (infant and 2 year old) and would like to book a cruise out of Florida this fall. The itinerary/ports are ambivolent to us as we’ve been on a dozen cruises earlier in life and been to most all of the ports and cruise lines.

It’s been 5 years since being on a cruise and we’ve never done so with young children. Does anyone have perspective on which cruise line or specific ship offers the best programs for young children?

I’m drawn to the Disney Fantasy and likely a Radiance Class or Voyager Class ship in RCCL.

I’ve read both lines offer a Nursery but it wasn’t clear if it’s pay by the hour or minimum hours are included. We can get a junior suite or a suite on RCCL for the same price as standard verandah room on Disney. I would assume you’re paying for a slightly better level of service on Disney, plus the characters/themes but likely give up the room size and a few luxuries on RCCL.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I know this is pretty blunt, but unless other family members like grandparents are going to cruise with you, I think taking a 2 year old and an infant on a cruise isn't the best way to vacation. Put off cruising for another year or two. But of course that is none of my business. I assume you will be booking a suite. Now, as for which line, of course at the age of the little ones, for everyone's sake, Disney is the better choice.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:10 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I totally agree with nmnita; however, if you really HAVE to do this, please do yourself and everyone else on the ship a HUGE favor. Get a travel agent to help you decide what will be the best ship and cruise line for your family and budget.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:26 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
For their ages it does not matter.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
We've taken our older grandkids (teens) on a BVI cruise and they loved it! -- We also took our younger grandkids on a Disney cruise (6,7,8) and they loved it. But, unless the kids are at least a little self-sufficient (certainly not under 4-5), they aren't going to get anything out of it -- and you will still have them most of the time. Get a land-based babysitter and you'll all be better off.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I think your kids are too young to appreciate the Disney cruise, so why pay the extra money for it? Disney is literally double than RC. I agree with the others in that they are probably too young to cruise regardless, but that's just my opinion. My kids were 10 & 8 before we took them on a cruise and we did RC. They loved it. Disney would be good if your children were between 3-9 yrs old. I just feel at their ages, it won't matter. On RC, some boats have the Dreamworks experience (Shrek, etc).

In a few years when they're 4 & 6 or 5 & 7, take them to Disney for a few days and then hop on an RC cruise out of Port Canaveral. I think you'll be glad you waited!

Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 AM

We did a family cruise when our great granddaughter was a week under 4. Did she have a good time? Of course she did. Does she remember much about it now, 8 years later? NOPE> I can add she is and was a very mature child and even then, the last few days of the cruise she had one melt down on top of another Not to mention her parents had almost no time to themselves. Luckily there were 14 of us to step in and help. OP I see you haven't been back with any comments. I hope you don't feel we are all picking on you We are just giving our views on toddlers and cruising.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:59 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Thanks for the input! Actually a cruise is a very flexible vacation choice for us due to the child care options. So we can actually enjoy periods of our vacation and it's not only focused on children activities.

Getting dinners together alone a few nights will be priceless!

Our daughter (2 year old) is old enough to enjoy the experience. She is very advance for her age (ABC's, Numbers, great memory/pattern recognition). This would be a great introduction to disney before going to a park as she would not be good with lines right now. I think her being able to interact with characters during child care activities would be remarkable and memorable for her.

fyi.. She already knows what Valentines day is and looking forward to our "daddy daughter dance" this weekend. She turns 2 on Saturday.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 PM

509 posts, read 554,901 times
Cruises are great for families with young children. We started when our kids were 6 months.
We will go on almost any line before Disney. You pay twice as much money for meet and greets with Mickey and such. Unless you are HUGE Disney fans, it's 100% not worth it.
On RC you'll pay an hourly fee for the kids nursery. Carnival is the only line that offers free child care for 2 year olds.
Have fun!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Thanks for the input! Actually a cruise is a very flexible vacation choice for us due to the child care options. So we can actually enjoy periods of our vacation and it's not only focused on children activities.

Getting dinners together alone a few nights will be priceless!

Our daughter (2 year old) is old enough to enjoy the experience. She is very advance for her age (ABC's, Numbers, great memory/pattern recognition). This would be a great introduction to disney before going to a park as she would not be good with lines right now. I think her being able to interact with characters during child care activities would be remarkable and memorable for her.

fyi.. She already knows what Valentines day is and looking forward to our "daddy daughter dance" this weekend. She turns 2 on Saturday.
well op, I have no idea what you ended up doing, but with a 2 year old the free time is not all that easy. Most lines do not offer child care of kids clubs for kids much under 3. This is why, if cruising does suit you I would certainly stick with Disney, after the youngest is 3 there are lots of choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises