Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:26 PM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times

Advertisements

I'd personally do the Caribbean cruise as it goes to foreign nations, whereas the Hawaiian cruise is limited to the US on the leg that you're traveling on. But foreign travel is important to me and may not be so high on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
did a cruise to Hawaii and back from Long Beach.

Those first couple days crossing the N-S Pacific currents were pretty rough and wifey was seasick and was relying on sea-sickness medication obtained from sick bay. Ship activity seemed a little subdued and I think the pools were kept closed. Was pretty chilly until a couple days out from Hawaii.

Research and start your sea-sickness prevention regiment a couple days before you board.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:58 PM

167 posts, read 162,365 times
Been to the Caribbean a couple of times on cruises, but only to one of the ports you are going to, Cozumel. It is a party port for sure, but plenty of places to go with your child. Have also cruised to Hawaii on a relocation cruise from Vancouver. We were lucky to be able to use the pool on the first sea day as I understand it can take a day or two for warmer temps. I enjoyed the Hawaii cruise more as I liked the sea days. I could sit all day a watch the sea go by and not get bored.
But not so much what we like as what you like. As someone said check out cruise critic at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php.

There you can get a lot of info on the ports. Also check out there first time cruisers forum.

Which ever one you choose you can't go wrong. And most likely you will get bit by the 'cruise bug', and end up doing the other cruise at a later date.

Good lukc.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 527 times
Royal Caribbean is widely known for their fun-filled ships and action-packed holidays, There is a fantastic array of things to do onboard and a broad choice of dining. Onboard of their ships , which are some of the most innovative at sea, you will find a massive range attractions. You will struggle not to find something to do. Below are some of the most popular activities I really enjoyed:

-Flowrider
-Ripcord by iFly
-Rock climbing Wall
-Zip Lining
-Bionic Bar
-The North Star
-Bumper Cars
-Ice Skating
-Splashaway Bay
-Escape Room
-Laser Tag
-SkyPad

Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I'm not sure how many kids will be on either cruise because of the dates of departure on both. Most older kids will be in school.

I agree they got a deal but it's because of the dates. My in laws frequently cruise in Sept, Oct and November (not to the Caribbean) and they find awesome deals. The September cruise is in hurricane season and the rates start to drop the last week of August.

Royal Caribbean is a good line. The big ships have tons to do for the whole family. We're going on the Oasis in Dec 2020 and we paid around 3600 for 4 people. We're also getting about $200 in OBC.
You are correct about kids and school, but parents often now days do take kids out of school for cruising, not to mention there are so many home schooled kids today. I would still not do a cruise with a lot of sea days is I was taking a child with me.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:35 PM

416 posts, read 408,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post

September 17th, 2020 - 10 night Hawaii onboard Ovation of the Seas

Vancouver, B.C.
Seattle, WA
At Sea
At Sea
At Sea
At Sea
At Sea
Kailua Kona
Lahaina, Maui
Lahaina, Maui
Honolulu

I'm sure you're going to have an awesome trip. That said, the "at sea" days worried me about the Hawaii cruise. You can only look at so much blue water before you're sick of it. Better be enough to do on the floating hotel for those 5 days. Then when you get to the islands you're barely getting a chance to explore and stuck at certain port areas. For the Hawaiian islands I recommend flying there and maximizing on-island time. Anyway, not trying to be negative - have a GREAT TIME!!

Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
I'm sure you're going to have an awesome trip. That said, the "at sea" days worried me about the Hawaii cruise. You can only look at so much blue water before you're sick of it. Better be enough to do on the floating hotel for those 5 days. Then when you get to the islands you're barely getting a chance to explore and stuck at certain port areas. For the Hawaiian islands I recommend flying there and maximizing on-island time. Anyway, not trying to be negative - have a GREAT TIME!!
It appears the op has already booked so what I or you would have done is a mute point except for anyone new reading this. BTW of course I totally agree with you unless a cruiser wants to cruise on the POA which is owned by NCL That is the only ship that does the islands without the sea days. They are based in Hawaii. Lets just hope they have an awesome time. I am sure they will regardless.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It appears the op has already booked so what I or you would have done is a mute point except for anyone new reading this. BTW of course I totally agree with you unless a cruiser wants to cruise on the POA which is owned by NCL That is the only ship that does the islands without the sea days. They are based in Hawaii. Lets just hope they have an awesome time. I am sure they will regardless.
Not to be rude but I think you meant moot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
And...speak for yourself! I don't think it's possible that I would ever get sick of looking at the ocean... and I mean EVER. I get that folks have their preferences but I imagine if he booked these cruises, he knew what "at sea" meant. There's plenty to do onboard, there's plenty of family time - being together with my family is fun so I'm confident if someone else feels the same, they wouldn't have any issue finding fun things to do or just chillin'! I know though - to each their own.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Not to be rude but I think you meant moot!

And...speak for yourself! I don't think it's possible that I would ever get sick of looking at the ocean... and I mean EVER. I get that folks have their preferences but I imagine if he booked these cruises, he knew what "at sea" meant. There's plenty to do onboard, there's plenty of family time - being together with my family is fun so I'm confident if someone else feels the same, they wouldn't have any issue finding fun things to do or just chillin'! I know though - to each their own.
and I think you are 100% right: I have a sense of humor so I don't take many things the wrong Thanks for correcting me.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,231 times
Thanks for the comments everyone! Been busy and haven't visited CD the last couple months but wanted to chime in.

Flying to FL on the 3rd for a few days at Disney prior to boarding Harmony of the Seas for a week.

Will update when I return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises