Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times

Advertisements

We've taken a lot of cruises, including two, 30-day cruises to the Mediterranean. Generally speaking, tips, transfers, excursions, air travel and other unexpected or hidden costs, can easily equal or exceed the basic cruise cost. You can probably operate on a shoe-string budget, but, will find yourselves pretty limited in terms of activities, entertainment and 'extras.'

For one thing, there is very little to do in most ports ('tourist-trap areas), beyond visit souvenir shops and eating establishments. Even hop-on/off buses can get pricey ($200 range for 4-people (How else do you plan to get around in port cities?). There is also little point in going to Greece and other places, unless you are going to spend time at the Parthenon, Acropolis, etc. -- You can walk around Venice, but, even there, will likely want to buy meals/drinks/snacks ... at port prices. (Imagine yourself arriving at the DFW Airport on vacation ... and then, trying to walk and see whatever you could ... without spending any money!)

Just a few money-saving tips: For excursions, you can save about 30-40-percent off shipboard excursion prices, by arranging them online (Viator, Tours by Locals, etc) ... or even going into the port area and booking excursions there (but, expect delays that eat-up your 8-hours in port). On-board drinks and even packages are typically VERY expensive -- check-out regulations on what you can bring on-board with you (initial and at ports). Shipboard internet is typically VERY expensive and inadequate. Avoid the shipboard dining places, beyond the main salon and buffet areas included with your cruise. With most ships, per-head tipping is only 'marginally optional' - and actually billed, rather than voluntary ($10-$15 per day, per person). While basic shipboard gyms and deck walking/running are generally free, SPA's and special treatments are highly profitable and heavily promoted. Take your own pictures and avoid buying shipboard packages. Many ports offer a bus/shuttle-to-town service for a nominal price ($5-range). On the larger ships, nightly shipboard shows/entertainment are generally very good and included in the cruise price (smaller ships, not so much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm probably being judgmental.

But When I was living "paycheck to paycheck" the last thing I would have considered is paying thousands of dollars on a cruise. (And I didn't even have kids to pay for.)
There are good deals. Repositioning cruises across the Atlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, for example)---14 days, 6 port stops. Inside room: $850. Celebrity ships.

When we didn't take arranged shore excursions, the only extra cost was drinks. We did opt for the offered medical/emergency insurance; it was $280. And for during the Europe stay.

Almost no kids on these cruises, and great Vegas-style entertainment shows every night. Activities all day.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:10 PM

59 posts, read 43,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Can't afford upgraded tickets.
Not sure about Airlines yet- at the moment Delta is the cheapest (DBA Air France), but it has still not decreased enough to be in my budget. Last time I looked Aerlingus was cheapest, and before that it was Turkish. Changes every day or two.

FWIW Turkish Airlines is an excellent airline, we flew them Chicago to Istanbul a few years back--decent in-flight food and excellent service overall.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:13 PM

What is the exact itinerary for the cruise? What line/ship, what stops etc? Some of us may have had stops at the ports you are going to and might have advice to offer.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
What is the exact itinerary for the cruise? What line/ship, what stops etc? Some of us may have had stops at the ports you are going to and might have advice to offer.
Thank you!

Venice-->Kotor--> Mykonos--> Cephalonia-->Santorini--> Bari

MSC ships- The MSC Opera

May 24-31

Last day of school is May 22, half day, so thinking of flight at 4-ish, with one change (no direct from DFW), and minus 6 hours time change = 16-20 hours (?), so arrival May 23 about the same "time" we leave Dallas

Each stop, except Santorini, is about 8 hours, give or take. Santorini is longer. No sea days at all. With only 8 hours at a place I have never been to before, minus time to get off and back onto ship (maybe down to 6 hours?) I am thinking just being in the little towns will be enough for me and hubby. We can walk around, have a glass of wine, whatever. Our girls can buy their own excursions if they want. Same goes for extras on the ship- free food and drinks are good enough for hubby and I, girls can fork over their own money if they want to be divas about it

For all 4 of us, cost (total, including fees) $2400
As we know, airfare will be 2x to 3x that amount
I am assuming a certain amount of random $10 here, $20 there to equal about $100/day
Transpo and hotel for either side of the cruise, budgeting about $1000
We also got with our deal some on-board credit up to $1000, but don't know how much yet. I am assuming with such a cheap package, it will be $50 or something, but hey- it's something.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

MSC ships- The MSC Opera

May 24-31

Of the places you list I've been to Santorini and Mykonos, you don't need to book excursions at either place. You will tender in to both ports--small boat from the ship to shore, neither has a dock that can accommodate a cruise ship.

Mykonos you can walk straight from the tender pier in to town and wander without issue.

Santorini to get to the top of the cliffside town you can either take the cable car, ride donkeys (both cost money) or walk the donkey trail (free)--we walked, which I wouldn't recommend as we were exhausted by the time we reached the top (it was August and HOT) but once you are at the top you can again wander the town and enjoy it without having a tour.

I'd set aside some money to sample the local food and drink at both places.

Not sure about the other stops and I've never sailed with MSC so nothing I can offer for you there.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Have you factored in tipping? A quick search showed an article from February saying MSC adds $12.50 per person per day to your bill for gratuities on a Caribbean cruise. Not sure how that differs in Europe. As with most cruise operators, you can get it removed or reduced only if you claim you've had subpar service.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
There are good deals. Repositioning cruises across the Atlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, for example)---14 days, 6 port stops. Inside room: $850. Celebrity ships.

When we didn't take arranged shore excursions, the only extra cost was drinks. We did opt for the offered medical/emergency insurance; it was $280. And for during the Europe stay.

Almost no kids on these cruises, and great Vegas-style entertainment shows every night. Activities all day.
True. But Don't forget the daily gratuities, airfare, port charges, etc.

BUT the OP is traveling with kids. They want to see Europe. A TA cruise doesn't fulfill either of those requests.

And I still say that somebody living paycheck to paycheck shouldn't be spending money on this.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:19 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Thank you!

MSC ships- The MSC Opera

May 24-31

Last day of school is May 22, half day, so thinking of flight at 4-ish, with one change (no direct from DFW), and minus 6 hours time change = 16-20 hours (?), so arrival May 23 about the same "time" we leave Dallas

Each stop, except Santorini, is about 8 hours, give or take. Santorini is longer. No sea days at all. With only 8 hours at a place I have never been to before, minus time to get off and back onto ship (maybe down to 6 hours?) I am thinking just being in the little towns will be enough for me and hubby. We can walk around, have a glass of wine, whatever. Our girls can buy their own excursions if they want. Same goes for extras on the ship- free food and drinks are good enough for hubby and I, girls can fork over their own money if they want to be divas about it

For all 4 of us, cost (total, including fees) $2400
As we know, airfare will be 2x to 3x that amount
I am assuming a certain amount of random $10 here, $20 there to equal about $100/day
Transpo and hotel for either side of the cruise, budgeting about $1000
Service charges will be extra. According to MSC's website, for European cruises, that's ten euros per day per person. $45 USD per day.

Want a can of coke? $2.50 plus 18% autotip (maybe 20% now?). Glass of house wine? $6-7 plus 18% (surprisingly reasonable, btw). Smoothie? $5 plus 18%.

Your 7 day vacation:

2400 cruise
300 service charges
250 estimated onboard incidentals (drinks, soda)
5000 estimated airfare for 4
1000 your figure for port transport and hotel

= $9,000

Pretty big luxury for somebody living paycheck to paycheck.

PS if you're planning on taxis, keep in mind that they won't fit four plus luggage. You'll need two taxis or maybe an uber SUV. Cruise ship provided port transfers are RIDULOUSLY expensive. Avoid them.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
I can't manage 2 days before- last day of school is 2 days before. With only one layover that is under 2 hours, the earliest I can get there is just over 24 hours prior. If we want to see much of Venice, it would be after the cruise.
First of all, let me commend you on the spirit of this wish you have to see the world, to break out of the rut of your routine! I always encourage anyone who desires to make it happen (world travel). It is such an enriching and rewarding experience, even when things go "wrong" - we just got back from a 7 day spa cruise and when we were in the last port of call, hand making bonbons and truffles at the local chocolate museum, the weather turned halfway into our excursion and rain was pouring buckets. It was unexpected but now we have a nifty shared experience and we can laugh about getting soaked before getting back on board the ship.

There is wiggle room, as far as the last day of school. I am guessing this is a concern for your adult daughters, in college? I am myself a recent college/university grad, and encountered the same price hike situation when planning flights to visit my boyfriend abroad during breaks. The difference between a few days was obvious exploitation of people who have education and/or work commitments. The wiggle room I mentioned is that in my case, each semester, I was able to negotiate with my instructors/professors to do my finals a few days early to accommodate my travel plans. Can your daughters communicate with their teachers to see if they can work at an accelerated pace, or take their finals a few days early, so that they can make the family's planned travel arrangements?

Also, I agree with the earlier poster that connecting flights through Schiphol in Amsterdam or Frankfurt Flughafen run fairly smooth and hassle-free. I also agree with pack light and no checked bags - because you never know when you're gonna need to zag instead of zig. I once had a flight to Schiphol from LAX through ATL on to AMS, and they announced that my flight was delayed by four hours because of some technical issue with the plane. I immediately went to the counter and told the lady that wouldn't work for me because I had a connecting flight in ATL that I'd miss. She asked if I had checked any bags and sine I had not (just my carry on for a two-week stay) she was able to immediately place me on an alternate flight through MSP to AMS arriving just one hour later than originally planned. She printed new boarding passes right then and there and I was on my merry way while a crowd of angry people swelled behind me, having to deal with this nightmare since they had checked bags. Plan for such contingencies and you will have a less stressful and more enjoyable journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises