Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 03:26 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

Thought some of you might enjoy this article showing what ships and ports look like in real life rather than in the brochure. I was always disappointed in the reality, but I'll admit that I was doing low-end cruises like Carnival and some now defunct cheapo lines:

https://www.insider.com/cruise-ship-reality-2018-3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 03:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thought some of you might enjoy this article showing what ships and ports look like in real life rather than in the brochure. I was always disappointed in the reality, but I'll admit that I was doing low-end cruises like Carnival and some now defunct cheapo lines:

https://www.insider.com/cruise-ship-reality-2018-3
It all comes down to expectations. Some people think they are going to be traveling like the rich people on the Titanic

Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for. Luxury cruises (Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, etc) are very ,much what you expect. No lines, fine dining, no crowds, top notch.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Research, research, research. CruiseCritic is especially good for details. You'll find which ships have problems with "chair hogs" (they put their stuff on 7 chairs by the pool at 7 AM and then leave), deteriorating food in the main dining room, ripoff "art auctions", etc.

I was on a small-ship cruise in Hawaii last month and was talking with a couple who had taken a round-the-world cruise with Ponant. I knew the Ponant name only because I'd seen an ad in a French magazine for their "luxury cruise" to Antarctica. I looked it up- about $12K per person double occupancy excluding airfare to and from Argentina. Heaven knows what they paid for RTW but it was clearly positioned as a luxury line and beyond my budget. He said they were not impressed- said the food was "touch and go" and only the crew, who were wonderful, lived up to their expectations. I don't think they were particularly picky- our ship was small, unpretentious but had all the essentials, and was focused on nature. No go-cart tracks, no fancy dress night, no "premium" restaurants. They liked it a lot more.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for. Luxury cruises (Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, etc) are very ,much what you expect. No lines, fine dining, no crowds, top notch.
I'm way too low maintenance to pay all the extra money for a "luxury" cruise.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
This article is a surprise / news to anyone?

Seems like it is the typical "filling space" rant. (no real value)

They could have got very graphic and shown the real destruction that Cruise Ships have done for decades.
(Environmental, Community, Private entities, previously quaint / desirable port towns, families, careers, immigrant labor, ...)

Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Glad to hear this as we just booked a 14 day Alaskan cruise aboard Seabourn for Juy 2020. This is our 1st cruise and 1st time to Alaska, so we are looking foward to it...more Alaska for me than the cruise, and more the cruise for my wife than Alaska. Alaska seems like a tough place to see by land, so the cruise makes sense logistically.

I apologize in advance to any locals that live in the Ports we are stopping at. Our ship only carries 450, and I'm guessing only 2/3rds will leave the ship at any given port, so 300 of us will be clogging up your stores, restaurants, and sidewalks. Sorry.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Glad to hear this as we just booked a 14 day Alaskan cruise aboard Seabourn for Juy 2020. This is our 1st cruise and 1st time to Alaska, so we are looking foward to it...more Alaska for me than the cruise, and more the cruise for my wife than Alaska. Alaska seems like a tough place to see by land, so the cruise makes sense logistically.

I apologize in advance to any locals that live in the Ports we are stopping at. Our ship only carries 450, and I'm guessing only 2/3rds will leave the ship at any given port, so 300 of us will be clogging up your stores, restaurants, and sidewalks. Sorry.
It's actually the opposite.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
For Alaska...
Also consider the many other 'sustainable' options.
1) Alaska Marine Highway (2 departures weekly from Bellingham, WA USA) Alaska State Ferry | Alaska Marine Highway System
2) Motorsailor (Many from UK do this for a season, many hire out private charter / crewing options)
3) Charter onto a commercial fishing boat during / non-fishing weeks. (about every other week they are not allowed to fish, some offer charters - viewing and sport fishing)
4) Airlift into a Forest Service cabin
5) Island hopping / rental cabins by private PT charter (Loggers do this during August when they can't log - due to fire danger)
6) Ferries (many)

There are usually very affordable and sustainable 'local' options in other desirable cruise destinations.
You really can't get close enough to shore / small communities / cultural relationships on a typical Cruise Ship.

I do cruise occasionally, but typically it's a 'Ship Relocation' - one way trip, low occupancy, low cost, unique ports that I would not see otherwise. (Last did Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Suez Canal...) <$80/ day (some got the trip for $30 / day - diamond members). The porters were a tad concerned I was only traveling with a small backpack... no massive Luggage to pack around. Other people were willing to share their vast wardrobes for 'dress-up' nights. (Which I have no need to attend). It was a good experience, not a favorite, but very interesting. I usually spend more time talking with crew than passengers, as I seek out different cultures and information on their lives, families, homes, dreams.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:15 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It's actually the opposite.
Oops! Too late now, we've paid the deposit to the cruise line. We stop at 8 ports to do land excursions, so we'll get to see a lot of Alaska by day 14. I'm more into the coastal areas than the interior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises