Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 01:24 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike320 View Post
The idiot is somebody who goes on a cruise right now.
Seriously. That makes about as much sense as the morons trying to get a better selfie next to the molten lava in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Can you imagine being sequestered in an inside cabin for a month?

Once you got offshore and no ports would allow you to dock...

Yikes, could easily be your final trip. (Burial at sea, along with a derelict floating contaminated vessel... ). This could happen, tho we all hope not.

If you can... Stay home!
Count your many blessings.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Our Princess cruise that we were supposed to leave for today, was canceled.
We were offered two options.

Option 1 - 100% refund plus a 100% future cruise credit.

Option 2 - 225% future cruise credit.

The future cruise credits must be used before May of 2022.

225% will buy a lot of future cruises at today's prices!
If USA based... Consider Nov 2021 + departure, Asia or southern hemisphere based. 2022 spring should be ok in Mediterranean.

Book on a Line who has a probability of still existing... Maybe not Carnival. (?)

Old 03-16-2020, 10:36 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike320 View Post
The idiot is somebody who goes on a cruise right now.
Maybe, but we had a non refundable passage.
I watched and none of the ports we would visit had any signs of coronavirus.
Nor did the ship we were scheduled to sail on.
You cannot live with your head in the sand.
Some grocery worker local to you could be spreading the virus now now even knowing he is sick.
Think about it.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
225% will buy a lot of future cruises at today's prices!
If USA based... Consider Nov 2021 + departure, Asia or southern hemisphere based. 2022 spring should be ok in Mediterranean.

Book on a Line who has a probability of still existing... Maybe not Carnival. (?)
Yes Princess is owned by Carnival, as are most cruise lines, Holland America that we were going on too.
What really bothers me is that even today I have never received a notice of cancellation yet they have my email and text information.
At the hotel, just before we were to take the shuttle to the terminal, other guests on the same ship all got notices. That's how we found out.

Old 03-16-2020, 12:09 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
The cruise line just offered to allow us to cancel without penalty.
That kinda eliminates my sympathy.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-23-2020 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Fixed technical glitch in quote.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Let's retire the cruise ship industry.

We took two cruises 30 years ago, and they were 'fun' but we'd be better off if we just flew to the Florida Keys or a Caribbean island and spent our time there and not on a floating Petri dish where viruses are incubated and spread.

I can overeat, get drunk, see shows and movies, drink, gamble away my pension money, shop, go dancing, drink, climb rock walls, go to the gym on every corner, drink, swim in pools, go to the infirmary, and rub elbows with strangers all within the Phoenix area.

By doing so I don't have to take the Caribbean poverty tour and deal with all those poor souls exhorting me to buy silly items made of straw, or "silver" jewelry (much of it made in China or Mexico) or whatever. I can get all manner of cheap crap here too.

By staying home I'm not burning jet fuel to get to/from a port, nor stand in line to clear U.S. Customs like some sort of refugee trying to enter, my luggage isn't sniffed by drug-sniffing dogs, and masses of poorly paid 3rd world people aren't working 12 hours a day behind the scenes to keep a floating city running in ship-shape fashion while they're made to smile at us fat Americans who love acting like spoiled royalty.

By staying home my money stays here and does not leave the country like it does with cruise lines who are usually foreign-based so they can avoid American rules and taxes. By staying home I support American workers and any taxes paid go into keeping OUR roads paved and OUR schools funded.

The old saying is that cruises are for the nearly dead and the newly wed. Within the industry they consider Carnival cruise line to be the K-Mart of the Caribbean, cheap party boats full of drinkers. BTDT, not going again. Yes, I'm a cranky, dull, boring, old guy.

Bill Maher on cruise ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV18wx-xGaE
So, why are you here in a forum devoted to cruising? Just trying to point out how stupid everyone else is, and how smart you are?

Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I love it when somebody goes on one or two cheap cruises, has a bad experience, then decides he knows everything there is to know about the cruise industry.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:07 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess but someone who cruised 30 years ago, hasn't since saying cruise lines should be retired?

I take a long cruise every year, usually with Princess, my favorite I've sailed with out of 6 lines (Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, NCL, Princess and Royal Caribbean. 35+cruises, most with Princess and RCI. Only 1 with Carnival and Costa, never again.

I've been doing cruises half my life, not to the Caribbean anymore, never on a 7 day cruise. In my opinion, using 7 day cruise experience to the Caribbean, Mexico way off base, totally.

Yes, I'm one of the older ones now you see on cruises, I'm retired, can afford it and enjoy it. Why not? My choice, they are definitely not what some people seem to think they are.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can you imagine being sequestered in an inside cabin for a month?

Once you got offshore and no ports would allow you to dock...

Yikes, could easily be your final trip. (Burial at sea, along with a derelict floating contaminated vessel... ). This could happen, tho we all hope not.

If you can... Stay home!
Count your many blessings.
People are freaking out about having to stay home for several weeks if not months. Can't imagine being stuck on a cruise ship. They've never really appealed to me anyway.

As Trump said, "enjoy your living room". Won't be too much travel going on for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises