Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:28 AM

663 posts, read 433,800 times

Advertisements

I currently have cruises booked for Feb and Sept next year out of the US. They have been booked for at least a year. I don't have any hope of the Feb cruise happening. If it does we probably will not be on it. I have till November to decide on that one without penalty. The September one is a maybe depending on my comfort level being around groups of people at that time. I will not be doing any booking till my confidence level is a lot higher that it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Except that many of the early US cases were on cruises, and ships don’t have the facilities or resources to treat passengers. The illness spreads quickly because everyone is in such close quarters, particularly the crew, who share small rooms typically on the interior of the ship. The infection rate on some ships was extremely high. No one wants to go on a ship where they have a 10% chance or more of getting infected.
The same can be said about shopping malls, sporting events... the beach... movie theaters... any place where large numbers of people gather am I right? Asking for a friend.

Lets hope they come up with a working vaccine... it sure would be terrible to have to live the rest of our lives with masks on cowering in fear of a virus that kills less than 1% of those it infects while never being able to cruise again or go to a football game or go to the food court prior to catching the latest movie at AMC.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I wouldn't pay serious money to cruise pre-covid, so definitely wouldn't do so now. Hell, they'd have to offer a serious discount (and possibly pay me) to cruise now.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:03 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We love cruises but not going on one anytime soon.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:11 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
The same can be said about shopping malls, sporting events... the beach... movie theaters... any place where large numbers of people gather am I right? Asking for a friend.
I'd disagree. Outdoor Sporting events, the beach - outdoor activities where people can EASILY stay 6 feet apart are safe, IMHO.

It's indoor activities that worry me. That can get crowded and you may not have room to move 6 feet away.

And all those jerks who won't wear a GD mask are just dragging this mess out from what COULD be 6-8 weeks of inconvenience and minor discomfort to MONTHS of misery, illness and death.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We love cruises but not going on one anytime soon.
Sigh. Us, either. We so enjoyed the 2 trans-Atlantic cruises, but that seems to be in the past now.

I am hoping flying will be OK by next winter as we already had trips planned.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I wouldn't pay one dime to cruise. They are cheap and cheesy. And now they are a huge disease risk.

I went on a Costa cruise years ago and the crew members harassed the passengers to buy them things, buy them drinks, give them money, etc. It was so gross.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:02 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I went on a Costa cruise years ago and the crew members harassed the passengers to buy them things, buy them drinks, give them money, etc. It was so gross.
You get what you pay for. If the price to get onto the ship is low it's because they try and turn you into an "income stream" once you board. Photos, adult beverages, upcharges on restaurants, spa treatments... my last trip on UnCruise (Hawaii) my bill at the end of the trip consisted of a couple of waterproof cases I'd bought (one for my phone and a "dry bag" for miscellaneous stuff) and a gratuity that was truly voluntary. I determined the amount. I'm pretty sure that any crew member asking a passenger for anything would have been fired on the spot- of course the ship was flagged in the US and the crew members paid according to US laws so they didn't need to ask for "donations".

Old 07-26-2020, 10:05 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I wouldn't take one of the mega-ships if they paid me, but UnCruise has ships carrying under 100 passengers and is focused on outdoors and nature.

I wonder if the small ships would be worse for the possibility of Covid. The passenger-to-space-ratio is much smaller than the large ships making it very difficult to impossible to avoid others. We've done 4 of these small ship cruises, 2 with UnCruise, and it's certainly exceptional but it's becoming clear that we may not cruise in 2021 as well as this year due to covid.

It was sad to see 5 of the UnCruise vessels at Fishermen's Terminal in Seattle as of last week when they should be sailing Alaska.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
If there is an illness on a ship, you could be traped onboard, for days or weeks, and once your cruise time is over....you certainly would not be eating gourmet meals any more.
Right now, I would rather be in a cabin, in the middle of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises