Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,407,126 times

Advertisements

My husband and I gave my parents a cruise as a gift for their 50th wedding anniversary.
The problem is, my mom can hardly walk and get around....but, that shouldn't be a reason for her not to go, spoil the fun and vacation for her, IMHO.
(MY dad is the one, having his cautions and doubts......)
Do any of you have past experiences with cruise lines catering to the disabled, elderly ?
This would be my first cruise, and I am trying to get some "homework" done, trying to "assemble" the trip......
We are located in Florida, and would board the ship here.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,208,520 times
All the bigger cruise ships, and most of the smaller ones too, have excellent handicap services. I travel Princess Cruise Line frequently and there are always 20-30 handicapped in wheelchairs on board along with those with walkers, canes etal. The crews are trained to aide the physically challenged and go out of their way to accomodate them. They also get special seating arrangements at mealtimes and the entertainment shows.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reassurance!
I imagined to be something along those lines....but, as I have mentioned, not sure about it.
I want her (my mom) to have a cruise (mine and my parents first), and want them to have "THE" vacation of a lifetime.
The special accomodations for her just HAVE to be in place, in order to make this happen.
I guess, I should also make some phone calls, and search the net as well.
I was just hoping to get some people to answer, which are disabled in some way, to have had first hand experience ....just to put my mind at ease with me doing the right thing for my mom.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reassurance!
I imagined to be something along those lines....but, as I have mentioned, not sure about it.
I want her (my mom) to have a cruise (mine and my parents first), and want them to have "THE" vacation of a lifetime.
The special accomodations for her just HAVE to be in place, in order to make this happen.
I guess, I should also make some phone calls, and search the net as well.
I was just hoping to get some people to answer, which are disabled in some way, with first hand experience maybe ....just to put my mind at ease with me doing the right thing for my mom.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,048,419 times
Holland America seems to be famous for catering to every need of the older passengers. I took a HAL cruise last year and saw both a blind man with his beautiful dog, and a woman living in a wheelchair. Saw both of them almost every day, and both seemed to be having a terrific time.

The only "problem" I can think of is the door to the cabin. Since it's a ship, the door has to have a ?what? inch, or two-inch lip from the floor (presumably to delay flooding). A chair would have to be lifted over that lip.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:03 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,968,260 times
All of the large ships have handicapped rooms with no step up into the bathroom (all staterooms I've had had steps up into the bathroom.) They have wider doors to accomodate wheelchairs and showers that are handicap accesible. You do have to book fairly far in advance in order to book those rooms. I've been on one Holland America cruise and that one definitely had an older clientele. I was on the ship with a friend and with my then 30 month old. I liked that cruise best of all. The service was fantastic, the ship was gorgeous, and the food was delightfully sinful. There were many people with walkers and wheelchairs on that cruise. My friend I cruised with also brought her parents. Her dad had alzheimers and used a walker. He felt totally comfortable on the cruise.

It is certainly possible to do a cruise, even if you are in a wheelchair. I understand your dad's concerns, but the cruiselines are VERY accomodating.

My suggestion would be to get onto cruisecritic dot com and do some research on there. You can find the answer to just about any question there. I know the question about cruising in a wheelchair has come up quite a bit on that forum. You can also research different cruiselines on that site.

Best of luck to you -- tell you dad not to worry. you all will have a wonderful, unforgettable trip!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 AM

OMG....you guys are so great!
The replies have been most reassuring, so positive and so helpful!
My parents deserve the BEST....a vacation without having to worry, or without having a hassle.
It's my mom's biggest dream to go on a cruise, and now she has it.
It would be a shame, if the travel industry wouldn't cater to the elderly.
I am letting my dad know all the details, ASAP.
I will also continue to search for some suitable cruiselines, destination routes...etc.
Thanks, guys and gals!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,927,285 times
The "handicapped" rooms have doorways to accomodate a wheelchair, and the bathrooms will be accessible, too. Contact a good cruise travel agent--they can be invaluable in selecting the right cruiseline and ship! A travel agent should cost you nothing!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,396 times
Smile Resolution

Well,if you are searching for the best price just visit this one

[url=http://www.travelandenjoyment.com]FSDB Travel and Enjoyment[/url]

Last edited by travelandenjoyment; 05-11-2008 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: link

Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 AM

203 posts, read 956,736 times
Carnival is "handicapped" friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises