Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times

Advertisements

make sure you have what you want to wear the first night in your carry on, as it can take a very long time for your luggage to get to your room.

I am a 28 y/o male, and I went alone on a cruise last year. There were quite a few single guys on board.

What cruise are you going on? I am going on a cruise Dec 8th from Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
Hey "Ion" - thanks for the tip! I almost forgot about that, I will remember to keep the important stuff with me. How long do you think it takes to get your luggage? hours? we set sail at 4pm. If I board at around 12p-1p, will I have my luggage by 4p?
I'm going on 11/30 to West. Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Key west) out of Ft Lauderdale. I am so excited! I have already started to pack!!! Hope I run into those single guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
make sure you have what you want to wear the first night in your carry on, as it can take a very long time for your luggage to get to your room.

I am a 28 y/o male, and I went alone on a cruise last year. There were quite a few single guys on board.

What cruise are you going on? I am going on a cruise Dec 8th from Miami

Old 11-12-2008, 01:57 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 849,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
How long do you think it takes to get your luggage? hours? we set sail at 4pm. If I board at around 12p-1p, will I have my luggage by 4p?
On our 1st cruise our luggage was being delivered to our room just as we were getting to our room so we had our luggage by 2. On the 2nd, our luggage arrived shortly after sail away about 5. That was our luggage, we didn't get my daughters pack-n-play/bed until after dinner. Be prepared though that it's possible that you don't see your luggage till late in the evening.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM

thanks "pfw" I am already planning ahead for this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfw View Post
On our 1st cruise our luggage was being delivered to our room just as we were getting to our room so we had our luggage by 2. On the 2nd, our luggage arrived shortly after sail away about 5. That was our luggage, we didn't get my daughters pack-n-play/bed until after dinner. Be prepared though that it's possible that you don't see your luggage till late in the evening.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hey!
I have tried to post a thread in cruise critic, but it must be down, or I'm not doing it right because it won't let me post a question, so forgive me but I'd like to ask them here again!

1) Is a swimsuit cover-up appropriate for walking around the ship, getting a drink, grabbing a quick bite, etc (not dining room or shops, etc), or do I need to wear shorts as well? It is long enough to cover my booty but it looks like a really short dress or really long top, so should I wear bottoms with it to walk around?

2) Even though I'm going with friends (2 married couples) I am single, will I be able to meet other singles? Are there usually any normal, straight, single men that go on cruises by themselves?? (Or even a group of normal, straight, single guys?) I just don't want to be the only single, straight, female on board!! (and by "normal", I mean not weird!)

3) As for luggage, I understand you leave it out the night before, but when and where do you pick it up? Is there a baggage claim somewhere outside the ship? and how long does it usually take to claim your bag after disembarking?

Thanks again and sorry if these are repeat questions!
1. Shoot,, you can wear a bikini around if you want. This time I saw many butts that looked good....of course I was with my g/f....last time...NADA

2. They usually have a singles night, at least Carnival does. Again...plenty of fish in the clubs at night and I was anchored down.

3. Yes, outside ship...very easy. I was off the boat and driving away in under 30 mins.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 AM

plenty of fish, huh? nice-I'll get my "hook" ready!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
1. Shoot,, you can wear a bikini around if you want. This time I saw many butts that looked good....of course I was with my g/f....last time...NADA

2. They usually have a singles night, at least Carnival does. Again...plenty of fish in the clubs at night and I was anchored down.

3. Yes, outside ship...very easy. I was off the boat and driving away in under 30 mins.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 AM

Can I ask you what you are doing in Ocho Rios? Take my advice, and do something in a group either through the ship or with a pre planned tour. Do not go on your own or with another female. Please!

Cayman Islands are fun, although the cruises don't seem to spend a lot of time there. What are you doing there?

Key West is a blast! Just to walk up Duval and barhop is awesome

There is no telling on when your luggage will be there, which is why you need to carry on anything you might need the first night. It has been all over the map for me, and with the airline baggage fees, I am just bringing a carry on this time.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Oh, and the best site for cruise info is cruisecritic.com, tons of info there

Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 AM

hi "Ion" - I decided that I am going to carry on my suitcase, it is just a small roll a way, so it will fit on board. that way I will always have my stuff. Bikinis and shorts don't take up too much room!
as far as O.R., I read about some of the shadiness that goes on, I have a planned tour of Dunn's River Falls through the ship.
Definately some bar-hopping in Key West, and in Grand Cayman, I am doing a city tour and then maybe just relax on the beach. I don't swim, so I just plan to do relaxing things.

Quote:
Can I ask you what you are doing in Ocho Rios? Take my advice, and do something in a group either through the ship or with a pre planned tour. Do not go on your own or with another female. Please!

Cayman Islands are fun, although the cruises don't seem to spend a lot of time there. What are you doing there?

Key West is a blast! Just to walk up Duval and barhop is awesome

There is no telling on when your luggage will be there, which is why you need to carry on anything you might need the first night. It has been all over the map for me, and with the airline baggage fees, I am just bringing a carry on this time.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM

yes, I have been on cruise critic, but it doesn't let me post for some reason?
only 16 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yipeeeeeeeeeee!!

Quote:
Oh, and the best site for cruise info is cruisecritic.com, tons of info there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises