Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 AM

128 posts, read 424,158 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of taking a cruise, departing from Florida. Is it better to book well in advance or will I get much cheaper deals if I leave it to the last minute? Where is the best place to look for good deals.
Regards
Janet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet2007 View Post
We are thinking of taking a cruise, departing from Florida. Is it better to book well in advance or will I get much cheaper deals if I leave it to the last minute? Where is the best place to look for good deals.
Regards
Janet
Janet, go to Cruise Critic Message Boards and use the boards there to ask this question. I have found the prices don't really get better the closer to the date but have heard that you might be able to get a better deal at the dock on the day of sailing, but who wants to wait until then? By the way, my wife and I have been on two Caribbean cruises in the last two years and absolutely love cruising. We will certainly be taking at least one a year from now on.

edit: Just found this thread on Vacations To Go //www.city-data.com/forum/trave...ations-go.html I go there a lot but haven't used them myself.

Here's their website:
(http://www.vacationstogo.com/?source...ail_att_MON_3A).

Last edited by RickMG; 02-05-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 04:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
One of the things I've learned,and been successful at, is making a reservation early, for the cheapest room. If you request an upgrade, as the ship fills up, you have a good shot at being bumped up one or two cabin grades. They are more able to sell the cheaper cabin, than they can the more expensive one.

It's one way to get more for less.

But if you sign up for last minute deals with a cruise line (they'll email you with the offer) - they can be astoundingly cheap. If you can go at about a week's notice.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
If you want a specific cabin, then you need to book as early as possible--the "good" ones go fast! If you just want to be on the ship, anywhere, then booking last minute may work just fine.

Nowadays, it's almost impossible to go "last minute"---they need about 48 hours to confirm your identity and such. Walking up to the ship on the morning of sailing is a thing of the past!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
With the exception of a few places, you'll need a Passport and/or a Visa nowadays. That takes time and money.
Right now is a good time to book cruises as the cruise industry is hurting for business with the economy the way it is. I get 4-5 e-mails everyday with super deals on cruises from several cruiselines. Last minute deals are no better than what they are offering now.
And a travel agent is the best all around prerson to deal with so you can get exactly what you want at those low priced deals. And they take all the hassles out it to ensure you an enjoyable trip.
This month, Feb, all the cruise lines are offering super low fare deals.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
One of the things I've learned,and been successful at, is making a reservation early, for the cheapest room. If you request an upgrade, as the ship fills up, you have a good shot at being bumped up one or two cabin grades. They are more able to sell the cheaper cabin, than they can the more expensive one.

It's one way to get more for less.

But if you sign up for last minute deals with a cruise line (they'll email you with the offer) - they can be astoundingly cheap. If you can go at about a week's notice.
Great advice. I don't care what cabin I get, so I always sign up for the cheapest Inside or Ocean View room with a "Guarantee", as they call it, and have been upgraded at least 50% of the time.

Cruisecompete.com is a fantastic website to use, I have booked my last 3 or 4 cruises through this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises