Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Conte Nest has always been an opinionated source of informtion. Some of those Cruise lines mentioned are not even Mid Stream ones, they are the upscale ones.By the way, Carnival Corp owns 3 that are mentioned. You can't compare a line as Crystal, Regent,and Cunard to the Mid steam ones as they are upscale, and their prices show it.NCL is midsteam, as is Carnival.
Again I ask, Are you a Royal Champion? They are paid free cruises by pushing their line on Message Boards.
ncl America, is a different product than NCL.

Diane G
No, I'm not a Royal Champion and you are reaching a bit for some motive that isn't there. If I was, why would I post the rankings that show them to be 9th on the list and just ahead of NCL. I haven't promoted any single cruise line in this or any other thread. And for the record, I don't have anything against budget or value but the two lines that you are insisting are on par with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America do not grade out as high in any rating standard that is out there on the web for viewing. I would not hesitate to sail Carnival if the itinerary was what I was looking for and the price was significantly cheaper than the other four. I would never sail NCL at any price because of their reputation for nickle and diming, their disposal of the SS Norway/France and what they are about to do with the SS United States. But that's my personal choice as you or anyone else are free to make your choice. Just putting out relavant, un-biased, verifiable information.

Just out of curiosity, what line would you consider as being in the budget category if not Carnival or NCL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
No, I'm not a Royal Champion and you are reaching a bit for some motive that isn't there. If I was, why would I post the rankings that show them to be 9th on the list and just ahead of NCL. I haven't promoted any single cruise line in this or any other thread. And for the record, I don't have anything against budget or value but the two lines that you are insisting are on par with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Holland America do not grade out as high in any rating standard that is out there on the web for viewing. I would not hesitate to sail Carnival if the itinerary was what I was looking for and the price was significantly cheaper than the other four. I would never sail NCL at any price because of their reputation for nickle and diming, their disposal of the SS Norway/France and what they are about to do with the SS United States. But that's my personal choice as you or anyone else are free to make your choice. Just putting out relavant, un-biased, verifiable information.

Just out of curiosity, what line would you consider as being in the budget category if not Carnival or NCL?
Here is an Article from Cruisemates that may interest you. There are really no budgets lines left except Discovery, Imperial Magesty, and Easy Cruise. The budget lines were older ships like Dolphin Cruise Lines. Those ships no longer meet regulations, and some have had diasters, simular to the Norway.

Here is a Link -------http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/consumer/budget.cfm

As far as NCL , a different parent company owns them now, so they are a different product of years gone past.
As far as nickel and diming, no one is forsing you to go to the pay restaurants. The Buffet and Main dining rooms are free as they are on all the other ships, plus the addition of the Diner restaurant. On recent reservations they were giving onboard credit, that would cover those restaurants.
Personally, I have no problem with this.
Also imo, Carnival and Royal Caribbean would be on Par, except I prefer Carnival's food better. On Royal to get a decent steak now in the dining room, you have to pay $15 extra.
I would but Celebrity and Holland on Par. Princess and NCL kind of stand alone in my book.
I have cruised on all of them.

Diane G

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
NCL's SS Norway/France

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
My choice is RCCL, I think it beats Carnival! Now they do have big ships, I loved the Sun Viking
long gone. Do you want beaches, or special islands? Antiqua was neat, Barbados, St Martin
St Thomas is as being here. Also, Your first Cruise, and getting a better cabin, you really are not there that much. I would go cheap, then shop!
Also it depends on your age, etc. I have been on 9 RCCL cruises. I have always got perks, as a free terryrobe to take home, from a head house keeper I did meet on the stairs. She had it sent to my cabin. Carnival is more the young. Read cruise critic. Also shopping, has not that much of a great buy now! It also does depend pricewise when you do go. I always did find November and early December good price wise, or April, and May.
It also does depend on the state you are coming from, and the port the ship does leave from, and are you married etc.. Food, Frankly they had so much, I would skip that myself, after my 2nd one. However the first cruise, they do keep you busy! Then, I had been there, and would skip lots.
Pick out first the islands you want, and why! A cruise does have a good value now! I also did get upgrade cabins when booking an inside cabin
to an outside on the main deck, after my 2nd cruise! However, I was either asleep or out! I did like the beaches best, and a small ship because
you did know people, and the crew. Also, best thing is to give the cabin person, a tip day one! They will tell you best places to go etc.
Also, do skip the ship shopping tips, I do think they get a pay back for where to go. Sure go and take in it, however, be carefull, and price here b4
you do go.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-02-2009 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
My choice is RCCL, I think it beats Carnival! Now they do have big ships, I loved the Sun Viking
long gone. Do you want beaches, or special islands? Antiqua was neat, Barbados, St Martin
St Thomas is as being here. Also, Your first Cruise, and getting a better cabin, you really are not there that much. I would go cheap, then shop!
Also it depends on your age, etc. I have been on 9 RCCL cruises. I have always got perks, as a free terryrobe to take home, from a head house keeper I did meet on the stairs. She had it sent to my cabin. Carnival is more the young. Read cruise critic. Also shopping, has not that much of a great buy now! It also does depend pricewise when you do go. I always did find November and early December good price wise, or April, and May.
It also does depend on the state you are coming from, and the port the ship does leave from, and are you married etc.. Food, Frankly they had so much, I would skip that myself, after my 2nd one. However the first cruise, they do keep you busy! Then, I had been there, and would skip lots.
Pick out first the islands you want, and why! A cruise does have a good value now! I also did get upgrade cabins when booking an inside cabin
to an outside on the main deck, after my 2nd cruise! However, I was either asleep or out! I did like the beaches best, and a small ship because
you did know people, and the crew. Also, best thing is to give the cabin person, a tip day one! They will tell you best places to go etc.
Also, do skip the ship shopping tips, I do think they get a pay back for where to go. Sure go and take in it, however, be carefull, and price here b4
you do go.
Maggie, Did you know RCCL is cutting the Diamond Perks, no more conceige except on Oasis, and Freedom class ships. Lots of Diamonds are not happy. Tha was unusual about getting a free bathrobe to take home especially with 9 cruises , as you have not reached Diamond Status. Now, you have to be Diamond Plus to get all the Perks.Princess and Carnival have added perks, Free Laundry, etc.
I prefer Celebrity of the RCI product. I just feel it has better food and Service. Celebrity was my first cruise.
I also enjoy Princess, Holland, and NCL. I would do carnival again, and age really does vary on what ship and sail date. I went on a Carnival cruise once with a group and it was Fall Break where I lived. Our ship, which was new then(Pride) haa an average age of 60 plus. It had only 35 kids aboard, and 1 was mine. The bars were all empty at 10. I teased my daughter that we should have had bikes to ride prominade deck, because it was that empty.
I did not even see that on Holland America! But that was a Spring break cruise, so younger crowd.
I enjoyed NCL last year, but traveled in a Suite, so had wonderful amenities. This year I'm only booked in a Mini Suite unless the Upsell Fairy gives me a call.

Diane G

Old 04-03-2009, 10:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
My wife and I never really thought of cruising until we found some pretty good rates and figured to give it a try - we booked this fall and just came back from the trip a couple weeks ago

it didn't rate as one of our top locations or preferred method of travel - but found it to be a great experience and would do it again pending time and place

we went on an eastern carribean route and found that we had a good amount of time in all ports and never felt rushed - st. thomas left me wanting more and I may make a trip to just there at some point

the main plusses to cruise travel, imo, is that it's very low maintenance - once you get on the ship you are free to do as much and as little as you want

you can eat at a buffet, get dressed up on a formal night, enjoy 3 sit down dinners, grab a quick snack, catch comics, magicians, stage productions, dance lessons, swimming, suning, a wide variety of musicians and interact with a large cross section of people - while getting waited on hand and foot, room service, 2x turndown service, the works

all that is in the cost of admission

you can then pay up for specialty dining, spa treatments, exclusive areas of the ship, gambling, shopping, specialty classes (although some are free)

there is never a shortage of anything to do on the ship

I sailed on the crown princess - there was well over 3000 pax on board and the crew # they stated was 1400 - at some ports you'd be in with a few other boats - despite this there were very few times I felt like part of a herd, which was surprising

the overall value I found to be pretty good

the reason why it isn't my preferred method? - one is by it's very nature, you're travelling by ship to a place that a ship can dock near ........ it's also more of a sampler plate than the full entree

while in port it is possible to get away and experience local customs & culture - however, I tend to like to spend a couple nights in a place, enjoy their dinners and nightlife etc

although the food and nightlife on the ship were excellent, it wasn't unique to what I can have here in phoenix

i'm also one who doesn't mind the hassle of changing bases and trying to figure out places to eat, things to see, getting lost and all the little pitfalls of travel - i actually kind of enjoy it

i was very happy with princess and would definitely recommend them - i would also really recommend giving cruising a try - we met so many people who had 30+ cruises, including one lady who was on #78

cruisecritic.com is an awesome site and was really helpful - the following there also shows that some people are really into it (along with the responses in this thread)

figure out the type of vacation you want - lounging, scenic, adventure, pampering, etc and then work your way from there

Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
My wife and I never really thought of cruising until we found some pretty good rates and figured to give it a try - we booked this fall and just came back from the trip a couple weeks ago

it didn't rate as one of our top locations or preferred method of travel - but found it to be a great experience and would do it again pending time and place

we went on an eastern carribean route and found that we had a good amount of time in all ports and never felt rushed - st. thomas left me wanting more and I may make a trip to just there at some point

the main plusses to cruise travel, imo, is that it's very low maintenance - once you get on the ship you are free to do as much and as little as you want

you can eat at a buffet, get dressed up on a formal night, enjoy 3 sit down dinners, grab a quick snack, catch comics, magicians, stage productions, dance lessons, swimming, suning, a wide variety of musicians and interact with a large cross section of people - while getting waited on hand and foot, room service, 2x turndown service, the works

all that is in the cost of admission

you can then pay up for specialty dining, spa treatments, exclusive areas of the ship, gambling, shopping, specialty classes (although some are free)

there is never a shortage of anything to do on the ship

I sailed on the crown princess - there was well over 3000 pax on board and the crew # they stated was 1400 - at some ports you'd be in with a few other boats - despite this there were very few times I felt like part of a herd, which was surprising

the overall value I found to be pretty good

the reason why it isn't my preferred method? - one is by it's very nature, you're travelling by ship to a place that a ship can dock near ........ it's also more of a sampler plate than the full entree

while in port it is possible to get away and experience local customs & culture - however, I tend to like to spend a couple nights in a place, enjoy their dinners and nightlife etc

although the food and nightlife on the ship were excellent, it wasn't unique to what I can have here in phoenix

i'm also one who doesn't mind the hassle of changing bases and trying to figure out places to eat, things to see, getting lost and all the little pitfalls of travel - i actually kind of enjoy it

i was very happy with princess and would definitely recommend them - i would also really recommend giving cruising a try - we met so many people who had 30+ cruises, including one lady who was on #78

cruisecritic.com is an awesome site and was really helpful - the following there also shows that some people are really into it (along with the responses in this thread)

figure out the type of vacation you want - lounging, scenic, adventure, pampering, etc and then work your way from there
I have friends on Cruise Critic who I have met personally, even some hosts. I joined there in 2000,, so quite a number of years except my first cruise was in 1995, before I found the internet. I do recommend to read reviews and ask questions, but bear in mind there are some " Paid Cheerleaders in there"

The crown is a beautiful ship, and I've enjoyed sailing Princess. We have done resorts but 2 years ago I didn't find my experience as relaxing. The resort thought they could turn off the Air conditioning at will. It was a major resort chain.
Last year I cruised the Med. so the ship was more like a moving hotel from port to port as the tours in Europe are full day tours, and we had only 1 sea day.

Diane G

Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
We've been on 10 cruises, 8 of them being with Princess. Our next is with Princess. That should tell how we feel about that line. On all of our cruises 80-90% of the passengers were between 50 and 85 years old. We're in that category, and that's why we like Princess as we meet a lot of people our age and interests.
I know many younger people like Carnival. It has a reputation for being a party boat. Whether that's true or not depends on it's destination and time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises