Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,010 times

Advertisements

We always purchase insurance when cruising. Used it once on a land portion when the train workers went on strike in Portugal. We had to rent a car. TravelGuard covered 100% including the car rental, gas and a flat tire.

We never buy insurance from the cruise line. This site allows you to compare different coverages and prices.
Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com

Also, while cruising I needed to go the infirmary and have a little check up. It was billed to our ship board account and my personal (employer) insurance did cover it under the medical policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I just called my insurance and they said if we have an emergency on the ship or on an island we would have to pay upfront for the medical expense and they would reimburse us. We just have to make sure we only go to emergency and not a Dr's office and bring all the records with us to submit. Our trip is in a couple weeks, so we are not going to get the insurance and spend the extra $80 because it's highly unlikely we will cancel. If we get sick or hurt we will just pay and get the money back later.
I hope you have a wonderful time---YOU deserve it after all you've been through!!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I hope you have a wonderful time---YOU deserve it after all you've been through!!
Thank you so much! I have been finially feeling better the last week or so. I think the antibiotics for the Lyme helped a lot.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Quote:
I just called my insurance and they said if we have an emergency on the ship or on an island we would have to pay upfront for the medical expense and they would reimburse us. We just have to make sure we only go to emergency and not a Dr's office and bring all the records with us to submit. Our trip is in a couple weeks, so we are not going to get the insurance and spend the extra $80 because it's highly unlikely we will cancel. If we get sick or hurt we will just pay and get the money back later.
Just a guess, but I suspect your insurance deductible for an emergency visit is a lot more than $80.00? The trip insurance may not include a deductible that has to be paid before the insurance kicks in. Also, your insurance may not consider things like a sinus infection or urinary tract infection an emergency and may deny it without a big fight.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The medical insurance is one thing but people traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season (whether by air or sea) are advised to carry trip insurance just in case of a cancellation or change of itinerary due to bad weather. You have to read the small print to determine which policy will best suit your needs but for the pretty minimal premium it makes sense to be covered. Have a wonderful trip - where are you going?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
I figure if we can afford a cruise we can afford $50 for insurance. My fear was missing a plane connection and not making the ship....and ships wait for no one!! We noticed on our cruise this summer that at every port there was at least one person being carried off on a stretcher.....who know why but it could happen to anybody.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The medical insurance is one thing but people traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season (whether by air or sea) are advised to carry trip insurance just in case of a cancellation or change of itinerary due to bad weather. You have to read the small print to determine which policy will best suit your needs but for the pretty minimal premium it makes sense to be covered. Have a wonderful trip - where are you going?

Thanks. We are going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I chose that one because the others that fit into our schedule were going to Mexico and Jamaica, which I've already been to many times. I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay and I really only want to go to Nassau to spend the day at Atlantis. I had a ten day vacation at the Atlantis resort several years ago and it was incredible. I see you are in St. Thomas? I've been there a bunch of times and it's one of my favorites but it's been several years. I was actually hoping I could have found a ship that stops there but none were scheduled the week or length of trip we had planned. Do you live there?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Thanks. We are going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. I chose that one because the others that fit into our schedule were going to Mexico and Jamaica, which I've already been to many times. I've never been to Grand Turk or Half Moon Cay and I really only want to go to Nassau to spend the day at Atlantis. I had a ten day vacation at the Atlantis resort several years ago and it was incredible. I see you are in St. Thomas? I've been there a bunch of times and it's one of my favorites but it's been several years. I was actually hoping I could have found a ship that stops there but none were scheduled the week or length of trip we had planned. Do you live there?
Sounds very nice and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - a cruise is such a wonderful way to travel and is so relaxing! Yes, STT has been my home for 25 years now. How time flies ... Cheers!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,868 times
I am a travel agent and ALWAYS advise them to take the insurance. A medical evacuation can cost over $35,000. You never know what will happen. If you are not traveling with a passport and an emergency occurs and you have to see a Dr in port. If you miss the ship you will be denied re-entry into the US. It also covers you if a medical emergency happens to an immidiate family member and you need to cancel your cruise.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default Cruise Insurance - $1200

Quote:
We just booked a cruise through Orbitz (best price, by the way) and they were trying to sell us insurance for $39 per person. She said that it covers last minute cancellation but also medical issues once on the ship and on the islands. She also said our own insurance is no good once we get on the ship. Is this true? Has anyone bought this insurance and had to use it? We only plan to sunbathe and overeat, so I don't think we will break an arm or anything and need the insurance.
$39 sounds cheap!!-- We are taking an extended fall cruise to the Mediterranean and are being quoted $1000-1200+ for insurance to cover things like trip cancellation, interruption, medical expenses, lost luggage, etc. That sounds really HIGH to me and I'm wondering if it is worth it or if someone has a better suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises