Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 PM

101 posts, read 173,876 times

Advertisements

Do you recall when cable TV first came on? It was great. In MI there were no commercials and lots of good, edgy programs. You could kick back and enjoy it. Now it is garbage, wasteland, with nothing but commercials on it. You can click around to a dozen channels and often they are all advertising.
The TV companies are raking in the profits both ways - they charge us top dollar for their dreck and the sponsors pay too. Double dipping.
I propose they break it into two segments - one in which you continue paying but with no commercials or the other choice is getting it free with all the accompanying shills. You'd have your choice - pay for it and avoid all the stupid ads or not pay and continue running to the potty during their five minute ads.
Does anyone know how this could be accomplished? The laws would obviously have to be changed and we all know in America the laws are only changed to benefit the rich or big biddness. Maybe a grass roots movement or something.
Twice I have quit TV for two years and don't miss it a bit. It's easier than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,233,568 times
Well, I think a more appropriate model would be:

1. Current pricing with current format.
2. Premium pricing with no ads.

You still retain the options.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,058,022 times
You gave your own solution - Stop watching TV and then you won't complain about the cost.
1.You don't like the cost of TV.
2. You drive while high.
3. Does anything make you happy?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,991,181 times
It's the title of the thread that is misleading. Who's ripping you off? The cable company charges for a product, just like the gas station, or the convenient store. Now gas is a necessity for people to get to work. So, even though we're paying through the hose, we really have to buy that product. And at the convenient store, (open 24/7) you'll pay high prices for those items you ran out of and forgot to buy at the slightly-less-expensive mega-mart. But you don't have to have cable. And many people, like the OP, have opted to drop it. Others, like shut-ins, elderly, chronically ill, need cable, even if only to have an entity they can yell at for showing too many commericals.

I have cable because I have the triple play package for my phone and internet. In 2009, when I returned to my home after an extended absence, during which all services were suspended, I reenlisted in the triple play. I got an introductory offer of $99./mo plus tax & fees. The price has increased every year and every year I call the cable company and renegotiate the price. (Comcast has department called Retention, just to keep a customer from leaving!!) Yesterday, I had my latest increase
(184/mo) reduced to $140/mo and I now have HBO! . Do I think it should be cheaper? Sure. Just like I think I should get my bread, milk and eggs cheaper. Not gonna happen. So I call Comcast and work it out so we're at a place where if not exactly happy, at least satisfied we have the best we're gonna get.

If you can live without cable, great. I have lived without cable and internet. All things being equal, I'd rather not.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,123,429 times
Yup, dumped the TV/cable long ago and will never go back. Netflix for movies and shows. Can even watch sports through the web, yeah, quality isn't the best, but whatever. Everything is done on my laptop.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM

51,259 posts, read 36,923,349 times
This makes me madder in the movies than on cable. It used to be before the movie there were cartoons and then previews, now we have car commercails and Pepsi commercials, after paying $9.00 for a ticket. I see both as more of the "simmering frog" phenomena, where we as consumers just accept less and less while paying more and more.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,337,250 times
we got tired of being ripped off too. The only thing we use our tv for now is hooking up an old vcr machine (movies are 25 cents a piece in 2nd hand stores) and sometimes watching a couple of good movies ..the news and any other good info we want we can get from the comp.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,614,480 times
I remember when it was so easy to steal cable****sigh****

Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,567,516 times
I was a kid when my family first got cable, and even though I was mainly watching Nickelodeon and MTV, I don't remember the quality being all that great. What we have to remember is that it's the ads that pay for the quality programming we get (and also the non-quality) If cable didn't have ads, it would either cost $200+/month, or it would look like Mad Men was made with someone's iPhone.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM

8,135 posts, read 12,880,923 times
I don't even have an over the air antenna up anymore. I watch network TV shows over the internet, I have netflix streaming and a roku player. I pay 7.99 for the netflix and of course pay for the internet service (I would have to have the internet regardless).

A woman at work mentioned that she pays 130 dollars a month for direct tv......... To each his own but how on earth could you get 130 dollars worth of "value" out of television?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events