Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times

Advertisements

This is so sad.

Good Samaritan shot to death helping stranded driver in North Carolina | MSNBC

Quote:
A group of three people pulled over to help when they spotted a stuck car that slid off the road in Catawba around 5:30 p.m. local time, according to Catawba County Sheriff Coy Reid.

The group soon discovered that the stranded driver — identified by police as Marvin Lee — was allegedly under the influence of drugs or alcohol and was being uncooperative so they decided to let police handle the situation, Reid said.

When Lee overheard the group talking about calling police for assistance he got out of the car and started shooting at them, according to Reid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:55 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,459,050 times
That guy should never have been allowed to own a gun. Condolences to the Good Samaritan's family.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,134,669 times
https://www.gofundme.com/fkkws9hc

The victim was a 27 yr old single dad with a 17-month old son. The poor boy will be raised without any parents, thanks to the scumbag in jail. Grandma is raising him. It breaks my heart.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
That guy should get LWOP. Here is yet another reason I no longer stop for stranded motorists.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 AM

599 posts, read 402,567 times
It's a sad state of affairs when a Good Samaritan is killed by the person they were trying to help.

This guy should be executed next week!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 AM

8,392 posts, read 4,387,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when a Good Samaritan is killed by the person they were trying to help.

This guy should be executed next week!
I agree. This is one of those cases where the perpetrator is 100% identified and the crime is heinous. Justice should be swift. I'd be OK with a guillotine in the front of the court room and it being televised. Maybe it would make a few criminals think twice in the future.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That guy should get LWOP. Here is yet another reason I no longer stop for stranded motorists.
I agree. People aren't as likely to help others anymore because of incidents like this. Years ago we would stop and pick up hitchhikers or help someone at the side of the road without a second thought. No more. So much has changed.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,791,553 times
I used to stop and help people but honestly, I would really think twice now. Not because of this, but there are many people running scams the last few years.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:07 AM

24,558 posts, read 17,308,779 times
So much has changed.

There are now so many people on drugs or drunk that they are unpredictable. It is too bad but one has to be so careful when reaching out to help someone. They might not want help despite what we would think is a desperate situation.

Someone mentioned that the guy should have never been able to own a gun which I don't agree with. The first mistake this guy made was getting into a deadly weapon while he was high or drunk. He could have just as easily run over a pedestrian.

It is a tragedy that this guy who was trying to help was killed. The drunk will sober up and will have to face the consequences.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,605,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree. People aren't as likely to help others anymore because of incidents like this. Years ago we would stop and pick up hitchhikers or help someone at the side of the road without a second thought. No more. So much has changed.
Sure, 60 years ago there was polyanna devoid of dangers for the helping party. People are just pumped up with the news like this and paranoid, if not weird. Life is dangerous, unfortuately people turned reclusive arseholes to minimize hypothetical, low probability dangers in every area of life. You are more likely to die from falling out your bed. Why dont you work on minimization of these dangers first:http://www.medhelp.org/general-healt...s-of-Death/193
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events