Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

77-YEAR-OLD COLLAPSED ACROSS STREET FROM DC FIREHOUSE

Marie Mills' father collapsed Saturday afternoon in a shopping center parking lot across the street from a Washington, DC, firehouse—but firefighters didn't rush to his aid, despite repeated pleas for help, and Medric "Cecil" Mills, 77, died of a heart attack. Marie Mills tells WTTG that bystanders were "screaming and hollering" at a firefighter across the street, and three people even ran over to Engine 26, but they were told rescuers could not respond until 911 was called, the Washington Post reports

Firefighters Refuse to Help Man, He Dies - 77-year-old collapsed across street from DC firehouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
77-YEAR-OLD COLLAPSED ACROSS STREET FROM DC FIREHOUSE

Marie Mills' father collapsed Saturday afternoon in a shopping center parking lot across the street from a Washington, DC, firehouse—but firefighters didn't rush to his aid, despite repeated pleas for help, and Medric "Cecil" Mills, 77, died of a heart attack. Marie Mills tells WTTG that bystanders were "screaming and hollering" at a firefighter across the street, and three people even ran over to Engine 26, but they were told rescuers could not respond until 911 was called, the Washington Post reports

Firefighters Refuse to Help Man, He Dies - 77-year-old collapsed across street from DC firehouse
That's horrible.

When I lived on the beach, I also lived five houses from the local firehouse and about two blocks from the county line. One night people were shooting off fireworks and one hit a bush in my yard and caught fire.

I called 911 to get the fire department and the dispatcher couldn't figure out what fire house to dispatch and connected me with the other county. Meanwhile I had sent my sister on foot to the firehouse to get them. They immediately pulled the truck into my yard and put out the fire. They had no trouble responding without 911.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
This is horrible! I don't know what it would be, but they should be charged with a crime.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Brought about by the fear of lawsuits, no doubt.

Imagine this: They respond, he dies anyway, the family sues them for anything they and an ambulance chasing lawyer dreams up. A very likely scenario.

There are protocols to follow. Yes, I think they should have responded, but I can understand why they didn't.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Imagine this: They respond, he dies anyway, the family sues them for anything they and an ambulance chasing lawyer dreams up. A very likely scenario.

There are protocols to follow. Yes, I think they should have responded, but I can understand why they didn't.
They cannot be sued because of the Good Samaritan Law.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
was the guy on fire?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
was the guy on fire?
\\

No, heart attack. In most states, fire fighters are the EMT/ambulance.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Except that the union rep and the deputy mayor said there were no protocols that needed to be followed in a case like this when someone directly requested their help.

"When someone seeks help at a firehouse, procedure calls for the officer in charge to be notified and to decide what action to take. [Fire dept spokesperson] Wilson and [president of DC firefighters union local] Edwards said the probationary firefighter may have told superiors, and the investigation is focusing on who knew about the pleas for help and on why no one acted."

"[deputy mayor for public safety]Quander said nothing should stop a firefighter from helping someone in distress. “They don’t wait to be called,” he said. “We should have responded to this incident.”

"Kenny Lyons, who represents paramedics in a separate labor union, said that emergency workers are barred from “self-dispatching” — such as responding to calls on their own— but that nothing stops them from rendering help or investigating a request from a citizen.
“If you see an incident occurring in front of you, you have a duty to go over an investigate,” Lyons said. “What bothers me in this case is it appears they didn’t even go and check.”

Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
\\

No, heart attack. In most states, fire fighters are the EMT/ambulance.
In addition, an ambulance was dispatched to he wrong address in this particular case so it took 40-min for them to be on the scene. Good Lawd.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
but they were told rescuers could not respond until 911 was called
So why didn't someone (Firefighter included) call 911?

"9-1-1, how may I assist you?"

"This is firefighter Joe Smith at engine house 51, we're responding to a possible heart attack victim located at such-and-such street."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events