Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,727 times

Advertisements

Nothing warrants a teacher manhandling a 6 year old the way this teacher did.

Quote:
HANCOCK COUNTY, OH (Toledo News Now) -
Anthony and Autumn Nelson, of Wharton, have two kids in Riverdale Schools in Hancock County. Their 6-year-old son, Ian, is a kindergartner. In surveillance video provided by the family on May 7, Ian is shown walking to the school bathroom.

When he comes out a short time later, his teacher confronts him. She grabs him and picks him up against the wall. Seconds later, she grabs him by the face and then by the shirt. His head flops back as she picks him up off the floor.

Ian's parents are furious.

On Tuesday, the teacher was suspended for 10 days.

"I would consider what would happen to myself, if I were to do that to her. If I were to do that to her, I would go to jail," said Anthony Nelson, Ian's father.

"He was in the other room and I watched it out in the kitchen and I just started crying. I burst out in tears. I called my mom. I called his mom," said Autumn Nelson, Ian's mother.

The Nelsons say that 10-day suspension is like an early vacation for the teacher, since there are only 10 days left in the school year. They say they want her to be terminated from Riverdale Schools. The Nelsons took the video to the Hancock County Sheriff's Office to try to file criminal charges against the teacher. Ian's father says he complained about his son's teacher to the principal in November but his concerns were swept under the rug.

"We asked for him to be moved to a different classroom and we said can he please go to a different classroom and the principal told at that time that she's a highly recommended teacher and they are unwilling to transfer him to a different class," said Anthony Nelson.

The superintendent says this teacher has been with the district for 14 years and the reason this incident came to light is because a fellow staff member reported it last week.

"We haven't dealt with this much at Riverdale. First of all I apologize to the parents. This should not happen," said Eric Hoffman, Superintendent, Riverdale Local Schools.

Ian's father says something must be done.

"I don't think she should be teaching anymore. I mean honestly in this type of situation, there's no one that should ever put their hands on a child," said Nelson.

For now, the teacher's 10 day suspension stands, but that could change depending the outcome of the Hancock County Sheriff's investigation.
Teacher caught on video grabbing kindergartner by face - Toledo News Now, Breaking News, Weather, Sports, Toledo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 PM

240 posts, read 423,430 times
That woman is cleary not fit to work with children. She should be fired for physically disciplining him. There is no excuse for that whatsoever. That poor boy was probably terrified.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,868,953 times
Let's call a spade a spade. The boy was assaulted. And for no reason. Are kids not allowed to go to the bathroom? The dad was right to file charges against the teacher, bc the school isn't going to do anything about it.

I wonder what the teacher's explanation was.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,727 times
The reason why she assaulted the child:

Quote:
Ian walked down the hallway during computer class to go to the bathroom. Williams stopped him as he walked out, lifting him off the floor against the wall.

In the documents, Williams told Riverdale Elementary School principal Julie Spade, "Ian Nelson has been going to the bathroom and not going, walking in and walking out. He thinks it's funny and then he has an accident and wets his pants."

According to the file, Williams admits she yelled at Ian.

"I was furious. I was very hard on him,” said Williams, according to the principal’s report. "I touched him on the middle of the chest and pushed him back. I was very heated."

"I feel like I was over the top/edge,” said Williams. “He's pushing me over the top/edge and my kids over the top/edge. I'm sorry. I don't know what to do with it."

In a letter alerting Williams she’s been suspended for ten days without pay, Riverdale Local Schools Superintendent Eric Hoffman writes, "Your responsibilities as a professional educator do not include yelling 'I am sick of you', 'I am sick of your parents' and 'I will rip you apart' to a kindergarten student."
http://www.13abc.com/story/25530023/...-i-was-furious

Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
un-acceptable.

If that was my child, I would have gone down to that school in less than 3 seconds and raised holy hell and had the teacher fired.

The way she handled that little boy was completely un-acceptable.

If there was a problem with the child, and there could be, I believe she should have gone to the Principal and said she needed to have the child transferred to another class. I cannot see why this could not have been done.

I had 3 little boys myself (all grown now), so I know they can be "draining" and really can "put you to the test".......so I get that.

But she still had zero right or authority to grab that child like that.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,610,409 times
What did she do to him when she ushered him in the restroom? I know dealing with kids on a daily basis can make you lose it at times but she should have kept her hands off this boy and talked to the principal and/or the parents about him.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Once cops teachers and firemen are on 24 hr camera we will have fixed the pension fund problem
Here is the disturbing fact illegal to cell phone video cops but the state is doing it why is their video better than mine?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,070,984 times
It is not illegal to take video of the police as long as you do not interfere with them.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:35 AM

513 posts, read 800,214 times
This is a disgrace. How is it so many bully's and teachers get away with assault and the school district ignores it. Reminds me of the mother who videotaped her daughter crying about being bullied because the school did nothing and let the it continue. After the video went viral they changed their tune and expelled the bully. The response was "we wish she didn't do something so public" but apparently that's the only way to get anything done these days. Unless you are the girl that proudly announced she stopped a friend from cutting her wrists only to be expelled for not bringing the razor to a teacher immediately.

Girl suspended from middle school after she SAVES a fellow student from harming himself with a razor blade | Mail Online

Heartbreaking video shows how bullying affects 8-year-old girl; third-grader starts campaign to support bullied kids - NY Daily News

Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
The teacher lost her cool.

Why is anyone surprised? Children are no longer disciplined. They no longer respect parents and teachers. This stuff has been a long time coming, but anyone with half a brain knew it would happen.

I'm not singling out this particular kid and teacher. In this case, the teacher's explanation makes sense to me. The kid was just plain being disobedient and disrespectful. He thought he was being cute. He needed to be disciplined. Obviously, his parents are too ignorant to know that responsibility lies with them.

The teacher didn't harm the kid. Maybe his widdle bitty feewings were hurt. Poor thing. He needs to straighten up and fly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
What did she do to him when she ushered him in the restroom? I know dealing with kids on a daily basis can make you lose it at times but she should have kept her hands off this boy and talked to the principal and/or the parents about him.
So now teachers aren't allowed to touch kids!

Oh, the drama!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events