Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

If it were a female stripper, there would be outrage from the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
I think the kids who have stuck their parents in the nursing home are out to make an easy buck.
I don't think the residents were forced to attend and see nothing wrong with the activity for those who choose to attend. They are old, not dead!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Just saw on Kelly and Michael that the women in the nursing home are the ones who decided on the strippers and hired them themselves! Seems like the man who was most vocal against it found out his own wife was in the audience and enjoyed it very much. I guess you had to be there!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is great!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My mother was in assisted living for last 6 years of her life after having lived with us for 10 years. Director told me 99% of residents in assisted living have some form of dementia dn they are finding residents in bed with each other all the time. Some folks who can't even speak any more. Some are very unwanted intrusions. I once found a man in my mothers room and she had just gotten undressed and had no idea who he was. He just barged in. No telling what would have happened if i hadn't come in. When i told the director she told me he was a horny devil and a real problem. He actually did force himself on some old lady and her family had him arrested. Very sad story.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If it were a female stripper, there would be outrage from the left.
From the left? Seems to me the right is where the conservatives hang out. If someone opened a strip club in my neighborhood, it'd be the bible thumpers who protested, not Amnesty International or the Sierra Club.

Also it's a moot point, as there are very, very few men in nursing homes compared to women.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
The main issue I would have is if the staff brought residents that had dementia to the event even if the resident agreed. As the child of a parent with dementia I know my Mom says yes when she means no and vice a versa. However according to the article it says that the DIL brought the woman. If that is the case then the Nursing home didn't do anything wrong in my opinion.

I do feel though though that having the men do "lap dances" is a little much because I think some of these residents might be very uncomfortable and find it difficult to say no when some strong man is on top of them. They could have just put on a show (while maintaining some distance) and I think the residents would have enjoyed it just as much (if not more).

The only other concern I would have is if some of the residents got a little too "excited" by the show and didn't know how to handle that. Again they are in an environment where many residents need to be protected due to mental and physical incapacity so I'm not sure if recharging the "sexual battery" is something we really want to do at those places.

And for the son to bring up race that is just wrong! I do feel like he is doing this more for himself than his mother and trying to work every angle he can.

Last edited by NRaleigh Mom; 04-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 AM

658 posts, read 847,432 times
I actually question the strippers.

Times must be rough for male strippers financially to pump their jollies in front of nursing home patients.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
How is that any different than any other group of women? They are old, not children who haven't seen such things or don't know of their existence.

I suppose they could be not ambulatory and therefore not able to leave the room if they were not interested.

Heck, Mick Jagger is 70. When he is in a home ten years from now do you think he'll want to hear big band swing from the 40s and play bridge?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
As long as no one is forced to attend, then what is the problem ? Just because some one is old, doesn't mean they don't appreciate, shall we say, a bit of frisky entertainment or a male body.

When I get to that age and some one asks me -- tonight we can play bingo or go watch the male strippers. I know where I'm going and it's not to a card table .

I agree with willow wind. I have no problem with this! Residents of nursing homes are frequently forced to sit through maudlin hymns sung by bad Sunday school kids. Teenagers completing community service putting on skits or reading poems, washed up folk singers, and preachers of every stripe and variety.

Especially the religious stuff.

Not everyone old is religious. Or puritanical. Nor do they all like to sit around and knit all day. Not all are fans of game shows or bingo.

As long as no one is forced to attend, why not?

I think one of my grandmothers who had the misfortune to live out her last two years in a nursing home, would have been amused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events