Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:38 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine what burgers would cost if they had to pay fast food workers $15.00 per hr.?A friend sent this to me. While a little harsh, it is to the point.

Low military pay was not mentioned in The State of The Union speech. Just increasing the minimum wage was.

Hamburgers or Minimum Wage.For those fast food employees striking for $15 an hour, let's do some math. At $15 an hour, Johnny Fry-Boy would make $31,200 annually.

An E1 (Private) in the military makes $18,378. An E5 (Sergeant) with 8 years of service only makes $35,067 annually. Army Base Pay and Basic Pay Chart | goarmy.com

So you're telling me, McBurgerflipper, that you deserve as much as those kids getting shot at, deploying for months in hostile environments, and putting their collective asses on the line every day protecting your unskilled butt!?

Here's the deal, Baconator. You are working in a job designed for a kid in high school who is learning how to work and earning enough for gas and hanging out with their equally goofy high school pals.

If you have chosen this as your life long profession, you have failed. If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If it's in English, thank a Veteran!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Let's also factor this in. An E1 making 18K a year can get away with 0 bills. In other words, they have no expenses whatsoever. They live in the barracks. They have chow hall food to provide 3 meals a day. Heck, they don't even have to pay for their toilet paper. I've lived this lifestyle as a 19 year old fresh in the military and I'll say that it isn't a bad gig at all. Always nice knowing no matter how broke you are, you will always have a roof over your head and warm food in your belly.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:45 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Let's also factor this in. An E1 making 18K a year can get away with 0 bills. In other words, they have no expenses whatsoever. They live in the barracks. They have chow hall food to provide 3 meals a day. Heck, they don't even have to pay for their toilet paper. I've lived this lifestyle as a 19 year old fresh in the military and I'll say that it isn't a bad gig at all. Always nice knowing no matter how broke you are, you will always have a roof over your head and warm food in your belly.
Then tell me why so many military families are on food stamps? Also, welfare!

Old 11-23-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
The same reason so many minimum wage workers are on food stamps and welfare. Generally, they try and live outside of their means. They decide to have a family even though they cannot afford one. I've personally known many military morons who decided to have unprotected sex, knock some woman up, and then freak out when they cannot afford the child. Morons are all over the place. They work in McDonalds and they also work in the military.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:55 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,371 times
Quote:
Because all the extra pay...which can be substantial does not have to be declared when applying for food stamps.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:01 PM

When I was an E-5 back in 2002, I was collecting just under 1000 a month just in BAH. Factor in my base pay and other allowances, I made a pretty good living.

Also, from the OPs link. Most military members are not going to make just the base pay.

ARMY FOOD ALLOWANCE

The Basic Allowance for Subsistence is used to pay for food for enlistedX
Enlisted Soldiers perform specific job functions and have the knowledge that ensures the success of their unit's current mission within the Army.Learn More

Soldiers and
officers
X
Commissioned Officers are the managers, problem solvers, key influencers and planners who lead Enlisted Soldiers in all situations.Learn More

authorized to eat off post. Most Soldiers who qualify for this Army food allowance receive more than $200 per month.

ARMY HOUSING ALLOWANCE

The Basic Allowance for Housing offsets the cost of housing when Soldiers live off post. BAH rates are based on location, rank and family status. This Army housing allowance is the second-largest piece of compensation for most Soldiers.

ARMY CLOTHING ALLOWANCE

EnlistedX
Enlisted Soldiers perform specific job functions and have the knowledge that ensures the success of their unit's current mission within the Army.Learn More

Soldiers receive an annual Army clothing allowance to replace uniforms and uniform decorations. For jobs that require civilian clothes, the military provides a civilian clothing allowance.

ARMY COST OF LIVING ALLOWANCE

Soldiers assigned to high-cost locations in the continental U.S. and overseas are paid a Cost of Living Allowance. This Army COLA offsets the higher costs of food, transportation, clothing and other nonhousing items. Higher housing costs are covered separately by the Basic Allowance for Housing.

ARMY MOVING ALLOWANCE

The Army pays a moving allowance for the transportation of household goods during a permanent change-of-station move. In addition, a Temporary Lodging Allowance covers the cost of temporary housing at the beginning and end of a move. To further offset moving costs, a Dislocation Allowance is also granted for permanent change-of-station moves.

FAMILY SEPARATION ALLOWANCE

Soldiers assigned or deployed to locations where the military will not move families receive an Army Family Separation Allowance of $250 per month to cover expenses incurred during a SoldierX
The Army has three categories of Soldiers: Enlisted Soldiers, Warrant Officers and Commissioned Officers.Learn More

’s separation from their family. Soldiers are also entitled to the allowance if their families are unable to accompany them overseas due to medical reasons.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:03 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
The same reason so many minimum wage workers are on food stamps and welfare. Generally, they try and live outside of their means. They decide to have a family even though they cannot afford one. I've personally known many military morons who decided to have unprotected sex, knock some woman up, and then freak out when they cannot afford the child. Morons are all over the place. They work in McDonalds and they also work in the military.
What a bunch of useless drivel....sorry, but you don't know anyone in the military....

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What a bunch of useless drivel....sorry, but you don't know anyone in the military....
I really don't care what you think, but my point is 100% true. It happens ALL THE TIME.

** edit - and if you are really that clueless to believe it doesn't happen, I highly suggest you enlist and view it for yourself.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
I really don't care what you think, but my point is 100% true. It happens ALL THE TIME.

** edit - and if you are really that clueless to believe it doesn't happen, I highly suggest you enlist and view it for yourself.
Stupid crap happens all the time, it does NOT happen as much as you say....(retired senior NCO, 2009) so yes I know.....

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Have more kids than they can afford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events