Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 PM

579 posts, read 762,123 times

Advertisements

He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
He was not even the 1st Negro player in MLB history. Why is there no Roberto Clemente Day for Hispanics? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Okay, I'll take the plunge even though I don't know that much about baseball. In the old days blacks couldn't play in the major leagues; they had to stay within "Negro" leagues. That held them back. They could have been successful and famous and had a lot of money but they were held back, officially not allowed.

Jackie Robinson, like many blacks, was treated poorly but he took it with grace and honor. He a great player, a true gentleman and a role model. Let the following posters fill in the rest but that is my take on why Jackie Robinson is to be remembered.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM

579 posts, read 762,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Okay, I'll take the plunge even though I don't know that much about baseball. In the old days blacks couldn't play in the major leagues; they had to stay within "Negro" leagues. That held them back. They could have been successful and famous and had a lot of money but they were held back, officially not allowed.

Jackie Robinson, like many blacks, was treated poorly but he took it with grace and honor. He a great player, a true gentleman and a role model. Let the following posters fill in the rest but that is my take on why Jackie Robinson is to be remembered.
Of course he should be remembered and even have his number retired. I can even understand retiring his #42 on every single team in Baseball. But a yearly day where every single player wears the #42? Doesn't it at some point feel like beating a dead horse just to attract black fans?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Of course he should be remembered and even have his number retired. I can even understand retiring his #42 on every single team in Baseball. But a yearly day where every single player wears the #42? Doesn't it at some point feel like beating a dead horse just to attract black fans?
No. And I hardly think it is to attract black fans. I'm a white Met fan who hasn't been to Citi Field yet, but I'd love to see the Jackie Robinson Rotunda.

There are a few transformative figures in each sport; Jackie Robinson was one.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Obviously, it would seem to be that for you. It hadn't struck me that way until you mentioned it in that light.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 AM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
It should be Branch Rickey Day because Branch Rickey was first to open the door.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default It should be celebrated till the end of time

It is a great day. A magnificent man and baseball player, a black man, broke the color barrier in baseball, and he should always be held on a pedestal and honored. Jackie Robinson was a fine man, a great human being. The treatment of black people was, is, and always will be this country's greatest shame, and ANY event which highlights the greatness of these people in overcoming the ignorance of the time, is supremely important...and don't you forget it either.

A celebration of the great Jackie Robinson is like classical music. The quality of the man and a celebration of him STANDS THE TEST OF TIME.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
As far as Clemente Day, you do realize there is a difference between ethnicity and race?

I think it is fine. I think he is a central figure in creating the game that baseball is today. More than anyone else, he has probably had the greatest impact on baseball in history so I believe the tribute is fitting. It also helps that he was a very well respected man.

I am sure, like others have mentioned that MLB sees this as a way to market the game to the black audience as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
"The Roberto Clemente Award is given annually to the Major League Baseball (MLB) ... on Roberto Clemente Day"

Roberto Clemente Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Good to see that he is still remembered and honored by baseball fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events