Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,506,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This isn't about comparing Sterling to King. This is about King.

Sterling made racist comments. Kings says he should look at Polo. That implies Polo as a sport is racist because Kings says that is where he might belong.

Pretty easy to see. If I say you are something and perhaps you should go to some other place, I'm not saying the other place is suited for you?

Clearer is person A is a racist. Person A is better suited to go over to place A. That directly implies place A is welcome of person A.

Basically, King called Polo a racist welcoming organization. How does that get read any other way? Because it was hidden in a joke? It wasn't a joke by any stretch, she had to come up with Polo. Why Polo? Because Polo isn't racially diverse? Hmmm, but is is better suited for racists?

That was exactly what King was saying, that Polo was a place suited for racists.

Racist comments hidden behind joke have been overlooked for a long time, especially when Blacks make them. Notice that Oprah Winfrey wasn't laughing and came out to make a comment?
It's poor taste. It's wrong. It wasn't funny. But how is what she said, in and of itself, racist? BTW, I never said that I agreed with her statement. (and the sterling comparison is made because Sterling's comments aren't exactly ambiguous, despite all the noise)

Saying a sport would be more welcoming of racists merely because it is mostly White is implying that Whites would be more accepting of racist individuals. That's wrong and repugnant as well but doesn't fall under the definition of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No, she was saying that if Sterling doesn't like black people, he should put his money in a sport less frequently played by black people, like polo.
No, that is not what she said, that is what you say she said.

The context was clear, Sterling is a racist, he should look at Polo as a place to be.

Why did Winfrey step out to comment about it and why did King reply saying she'd take her chances?

What if the comment was about someone Black who made racist comments. Would it be okay to say they should look at Basketball?

You see, if it doesn't work both ways, it doesn't work. Subtle racism is worst than those out front with it. The subtle people get a pass because of a smile or laugh. Oh, they didn't mean it that way. Of course not, they wouldn't dare say such a thing with such an intent.

Really? Sterling doesn't excuse King. If it does, that is racism hiding behind racism.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,569,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
No, that is not what she said, that is what you say she said.

The context was clear, Sterling is a racist, he should look at Polo as a place to be.

Why did Winfrey step out to comment about it and why did King reply saying she'd take her chances?

What if the comment was about someone Black who made racist comments. Would it be okay to say they should look at Basketball?

You see, if it doesn't work both ways, it doesn't work. Subtle racism is worst than those out front with it. The subtle people get a pass because of a smile or laugh. Oh, they didn't mean it that way. Of course not, they wouldn't dare say such a thing with such an intent.

Really? Sterling doesn't excuse King. If it does, that is racism hiding behind racism.
You're right it doesn't work both ways,and I agree.
But just out of curiosity where were you at in the mid 60's when people were getting bit by dogs and water hoses sprayed on them?
If you were fighting alongside of MLK and many of civi rights leaders then I salute you sir.
But if you were sitting at home, like my family watching what happened on T.V. and doing nothing, then you cant complain.
If you champion what's right and what's wrong, you Champion both sides not just one side!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You're right it doesn't work both ways,and I agree.
But just out of curiosity where were you at in the mid 60's when people were getting bit by dogs and water hoses sprayed on them?
If you were fighting alongside of MLK and many of civi rights leaders then I salute you sir.
But if you were sitting at home, like my family watching what happened on T.V. and doing nothing, then you cant complain.
If you champion what's right and what's wrong, you Champion both sides not just one side!
I was playing with marbles at recess. How about you?

Funny thing, we were all playing marbles and not all of us were white but all of us were having fun.

Strange isn't it, that all those who complain the loudest now claim Sterling was always like this, seems they never bothered to say anything before, probably because they were too busy counting money.

Nice try, next time first.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,774,934 times
I'm offended and I hope the KKK withdraws their Lifetime Achievement Award from her.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
It's poor taste. It's wrong. It wasn't funny. But how is what she said, in and of itself, racist? BTW, I never said that I agreed with her statement. (and the sterling comparison is made because Sterling's comments aren't exactly ambiguous, despite all the noise)

Saying a sport would be more welcoming of racists merely because it is mostly White is implying that Whites would be more accepting of racist individuals. That's wrong and repugnant as well but doesn't fall under the definition of racism.
You're kidding right? Saying a sport is welcoming of racists because it is comprised of mostly White players isn't racist?

Okay, lets then call it slander, repugnant, disgusting and everything but racist. The question remains, what if someone said about a Black person that they should consider Basketball because Blacks are more accepting of Blacks who use the "N" word amongst themselves?

That would not be a racist comment? If you really believe that, ok, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, as it should be.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
It never occurred to me to think that Gayle King was calling polo a racist sport. That's really a stretch. To illustrate a similar point, back in the day my roommates and I used to watch America's Next Top Model. There would always be a sheltered religious contestant who'd comment on not being comfortable around gays. We'd laugh that maybe fashion isn't the industry for you if you're not comfortable being around gay men, the same way that basketball isn't the sport for you if you don't like black people.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
It never occurred to me to think that Gayle King was calling polo a racist sport. That's really a stretch. To illustrate a similar point, back in the day my roommates and I used to watch America's Next Top Model. There would always be a sheltered religious contestant who'd comment on not being comfortable around gays. We'd laugh that maybe fashion isn't the industry for you if you're not comfortable being around gay men, the same way that basketball isn't the sport for you if you don't like black people.
Consider:

I bolded the above. It never occurred to you because she was talking about the race of most of the players, not the sport. Get it?

You belong to a club of any kind. Someone says your club is suitable for racists because the majority of the people in the club happen to be Black.

On what basis is such a statement made? Galye King made that statement because a majority of the players in that sport are White yet offered no proof that the sport is accepting of racists. She associated an entire sport to racist acceptance only because most of the players are White.

She didn't make her statement for any reason other than because most of the Players are White.

She did not say what she said because for some reason, the sport of Polo is more accepting of racist behavior than other sports, she said it was because the majority of the players are "White". She cast all White Polo players as accepting of racist behavior, not because they play Polo but because they are White.

When you say something disparaging about others because of their race, exactly what is that called?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:37 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Here's how bored I am. I looked at the video (NAACP and donor Donald Sterling: A complicated relationship - CBS News) and this is exactly what Gayle said (start at 3:15): "I liked her line, 'He doesn't even like black people' which makes you wonder why is he involved in the NBA sport? I'm thinking he'd be better off in polo. He should go look at horses and be around horses. He should look at polo."

So, if you think Gayle is calling horses racist, go on ahead and be outraged.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Here's how bored I am. I looked at the video (NAACP and donor Donald Sterling: A complicated relationship - CBS News) and this is exactly what Gayle said (start at 3:15): "I liked her line, 'He doesn't even like black people' which makes you wonder why is he involved in the NBA sport? I'm thinking he'd be better off in polo. He should go look at horses and be around horses. He should look at polo."

So, if you think Gayle is calling horses racist, go on ahead and be outraged.
Conveniently forgot to include the entire text but that is okay, anything can be clipped to make something sound like something else.

We both know that isn't all she said though don't we? You just decided to use the part that make it seem about horses when it was anything but about horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events