Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM

966 posts, read 1,355,847 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of videos showing a guillotine in use, from the time they hit the table to the time they are executed is a matter of seconds, not minutes. same with a bullet.

but in the case of this scum, does it matter if the drugs stopped his heart in 2 minutes or 20, the trash has been taken out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,714,150 times
My personal opinion of lethal injection is it is too good for them. They are murders, rapists, not even human, who have no empathy for their victims. Why should we care if it is humane? I think we should hang them or use firing squads.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My personal opinion of lethal injection is it is too good for them. They are murders, rapists, not even human, who have no empathy for their victims. Why should we care if it is humane? I think we should hang them or use firing squads.
We as a society have to care if it's humane. That's why civilized societies even hundreds of years ago attempted to find humane execution methods.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,447,478 times
I was thinking about this the other day and I honestly think the most cost effective, humane yet terrifying enough to make criminals think twice way to execute criminals is to: Take them to the top of one of the worlds tallest structures, and toss them off of it. It would give them the entire way down to consider their actions. It also wouldnt cost anything at all.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:02 AM

29,774 posts, read 14,840,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Even if you assume for argument's sake, that the system is effective in keeping innocent people from being executed this is an extremely superficial opinion. Consider all the other drawbacks to the death penalty.

1. The stress on an innocent person and his family who spends years on death row.
That is why it should be done within 24 hours of proven guilty
2. The stress on judges and jurors who know that a mistake could result in an innocent person dying.
Video, DNA, Confession, it has to be proven without a doubt, or then life without parole
3. The stress on prison officials who must carry out a sentence whether a person is innocent or guilty.
See above
4. The stress on the prosecutor and defense attorneys who know that innocent people do sometimes get railroaded to the death house.
See above

When the alternative is life without parole and it costs less to give someone this sentence rather than execute them, just how good does the death penalty look?

Serving a life sentence for a crime you didn't commit certainly is wrong too. However, at least while the person is alive, there is always the possibility they may still be vindicated and released from prison. Life without parole removes offenders from society and prevents innocent people from being executed.

I can make room for the death penalty in cases where there is virtually no uncertainty in an offender's guilt. But we are still sentencing people to death based on things like false confessions and bad eyewitness identifications. That just isn't acceptable anymore.
I am all for the death penalty when it is proven without any doubt that the person is guilty. Either confession, DNA (has to be proven) , video etc... it has to be proven. Once that has been done there should be no appeals, no plea bargains , nothing... no waiting years.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,187,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Speaking for myself, a murderer rapist, good-bye. I wish they gave him life and let him mingle with the general population.

My main issue with the death penalty is The U.S Justice System is flawed. A person can "buy" justice. Just my opinion.
you are a murder rapist!?

Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM

12,984 posts, read 13,737,477 times
It was as if the Devil himself came to claim the soul of his servant. It is ironic that he fought so violently to live being a man who took someone's life in such a cavalier manner. Unfortunately for him he learned too late how precious life is as he a condemned man tried to live up until the end.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

113 posts, read 137,228 times
Maybe if they "botched" all of the executions people would think twice before committing some heinous crimes if they are afraid.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,711,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't appreciate your comment at all. Reptiles don't make conscious decisions to be what they are. They just are.
OK, I apologize. I happen to like snakes. I should edit my post to read cockroach instead of reptile.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,723,620 times
If the injection doesn't work fast enough, a bullet to the head would do it. Also cheaper than all those expensive drugs (so that the poor soul won't suffer ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events