Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,350,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Per capita gun crimes are higher in states with more liberal gun laws on average.

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can read anything you want in that table so let me try.

DC has 3.6% gun ownership and 16.5 gun murders per 100,000.

Wyoming has 59.7% gun ownership and 0.9 gun murders per 100,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,639,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
You say "will", as if gun owners aren't already in existence, like concealed carry isn't already a "thing" in this country. We already have plenty of direct evidence that concealed carry reduces violent crime. People such as yourself were all up in arms when florida legalized concealed carry, were calling it the "gunshine state", that it would become the modern wild west. Yeah, violent crime plummeted right after it went into affect and has steadily dropped since. Good call there.

And where are the most people murdered? I believe Chicago, a place with incredibly strict gun laws and no concealed carry. I guess the criminals don't care about laws, but do care about their potential victims carrying pistols, who would've thought.
There is no definitive evidence that concealed carry reduces violent crime.

Do concealed weapon laws result in less crime? - The Washington Post

Chicago does have concealed carry starting this year. While Chicago does have a lot of gun violence it is mainly gang related in certain neighborhoods. The violent crime rate in Chicago has been falling for many years before concealed carry was allowed.

Do you have anything to back up your claim that violent crime plummeted in Florida after concealed carry? A study done by the University of Maryland said violent crime increased in 3 or 4 metros in Florida after CC. The increase was not the result of CC, but gun crime did go up according to their study.

BTW, I'm a gun owner.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,438,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You can read anything you want in that table so let me try.

DC has 3.6% gun ownership and 16.5 gun murders per 100,000.

Wyoming has 59.7% gun ownership and 0.9 gun murders per 100,000.
NOBODY LIVES IN WYOMING of course you going to have fewer murders. You have to make comparisons where the population is about equal. (ppl per sq mile)

If nobody had guns in Wyoming you would have even less murders.

Wyoming 6 ppl per sq mile.

D/C 10,588 ppl per sq mile.

You want to try again for a better comparison?

Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,920,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Here is my thought. Lets say there were 3 customers in the restaurant that carried guns. What do we think would have happened? Either the same robbery would have occurred with no change in outcome, guns would have been drawn and possibly the robbers would have been thwarted, or there would have been a shootout and who knows how many people would have been injured or killed. Or another thought, the legal gun owners would have been robbed of their guns and now there are more guns on the streets in the hands of criminals.

The shootout scenario is what scares me. Majority of robberies come and go. The robbers get the money and nobody gets hurt. The key thing there is nobody gets hurt. You add a hot head with a CCW into the mix who is generally untrained in high stress life/death scenarios and people WILL get hurt.

That's a pretty tall tale straight from the notebook of a TV script writer. Add some suspenseful music and it is believable.
Everyone knows it's best to add an educated and passive progressive trained in high stress life/death scenarios into the mix at any time as they can handle anything.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:07 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,643,030 times
hmmm well, if a shop has a no guns sign on the door, then that might make that place vulnerable because it is being advertised as no guns policy.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,301,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Maybe they didn't read the sign.
From what I saw in a different story, the sign was posted on the FRONT door, the robbers came in the back, so maybe they were unaware of the no gun policy. The smart thing to do is but signs on ALL door, because we all know how well criminals respect the law/the rules.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 PM

4,632 posts, read 12,335,482 times
I realize most think these threads are cheeky. My issue is sales to criminals, and I support the right. You can't make this stuff up though.

In 2000, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) published the "Following the Gun" report. The ATF analyzed more than 1,530 trafficking investigations over a two-and-a-half-year period and found gun shows to be the second leading source of illegally diverted guns in the nation. "Straw purchasing was the most common channel in trafficking investigations."These investigations involved a total of 84,128 firearms that had been diverted from legal to illegal commerce. All told, the report identified more than 26,000 firearms that had been illegally trafficked through gun shows in 212 separate investigations. The report stated that: "A prior review of ATF gun show investigations shows that prohibited persons, such as convicted felons and juveniles, do personally buy firearms at gun shows and gun shows are sources of firearms that are trafficked to such prohibited persons. The gun show review found that firearms were diverted at and through gun shows by straw purchasers, unregulated private sellers, and licensed dealers. Felons were associated with selling or purchasing firearms in 46 percent of the gun show investigations. Firearms that were illegally diverted at or through gun shows were recovered in subsequent crimes, including homicide and robbery, in more than a third of the gun show investigations."

Gun shows in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,827,063 times
Just about the sign:

Customers weren't allowed to bring guns in. For all the robbers know, the owner and/or employees could have been armed to the hilt. So I'm not sure what the sign has to do with the place being robbed. The fact is, there are many, many places that get robbed where most, if not all of the patrons, are going to be unarmed. There are many places robbed each year (like gas stations), where the employee often is armed. So I'm not sure why it matters what sign was placed up there, unless the sign said, "Please rob us, we have tons of money here, we won't try to fight back. We're not joking. Lots and lots of cash, just waiting for you to take it."

Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM

29,230 posts, read 22,478,488 times
Better handing over the till than a dead customer.
I've seen many a prospering joint go out of business after shots were fired, whether it resulted in an injury or not. No one wants to patronize a business where there was a shooting during business hours.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,090,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I disagree. I believe if we have more guns, we're going to see more violence.

The pro-gun crowd thinks that all gun owners will be these perfectly well behaved citizens who wouldn't dream of drawing unless their life were in danger. How about the retired cop who shot and killed a man because he was assaulted with popcorn?

I think what we'll see an increase of is people falsely claiming that they felt their life was in danger so they can justify the results of their short temper.
Too bad the statistics aren't in your favor. But, your feelings sure are swell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events