Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:27 PM

211 posts, read 341,536 times

Advertisements

A woman whose house had burnt down in Wisconsin was visiting with family in Atlanta when a no-knock warrant resulted in her baby being fragged out.

I am a veteran and did two tours in Iraq. It is very disturbing to me that I see the same tactics we used in Iraq back home against Americans. I know that some of these boys are former veterans, too, and I wonder if they ever think about it. I'm all for officers' rights to defend themselves and protect the public, but too often I hear about cases like this where doors are kicked down and nothing was even accomplished. They didn't find the guy they were looking for (note: the Daily Mail article appears to be wrong as everywhere I see the arrest happening outside of the raid) and it sounds like they didn't even find any drugs at all. Even if they had I could hardly support allowing SWAT teams to raid everybody's houses looking for drugs.

I'm not really settled on the gun debate, but I sure as heck wish that we could tone down the whole Judge Dredd thing that seems to be going on in the executive branch of our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 01:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,303,208 times
I read about that yesterday. Poor baby, I hope he recovers well. He could very well be brain-damaged from the concussion, or deafened from the bang. Not to mention the burns on his face.

No-knock warrants are problematic; I disagree with their rising usage, especially given the militarization of our police departments. Oversight and accountability are lacking in these raids, too - "Oops, wrong house. Gee, we blew up your stuff/shot you/shot your dog ... but we had a WARRANT!"

Old 05-31-2014, 01:48 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,325,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I'm not really settled on the gun debate, but I sure as heck wish that we could tone down the whole Judge Dredd thing that seems to be going on in the executive branch of our government.
Can you explain what actions have been taken by the executive branch that has modified the use of no knock warrants?

No-knock warrant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While this is a tragedy it is what occurs when you associate with criminals. if you go into the pigs den you better expect to get dirty.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Can you explain what actions have been taken by the executive branch that has modified the use of no knock warrants?

No-knock warrant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While this is a tragedy it is what occurs when you associate with criminals. if you go into the pigs den you better expect to get dirty.
1) We aren't talking pigs, we are talking human beings. In this case a baby. The woman's house had burnt down and this was her family. Lord knows none of us have a perfect family, and sometimes we need them.

2) Police are a part of the executive branch. In a case like this they are supposed to apprehend a suspect and then bring the suspect to a court of law so that the suspect can be afforded the opportunity by trial. Police absolutely have the right to defend themselves, but we have seen how no-knock warrants remove the power and responsibility of judgement from the appointed judge and place it into the hands of police officers. The escalation of force happens on the side of government once police are authorized to use breach tactics.

3) According to this Christian Science Monitor article no knock warrant issuance has increased from 3,000 in 1981 to over 50,000 in 2005. What have been the results of it? Why are these governmental entities not justifying their use of force against innocent citizens?

4) This is dangerous policy for our men and women who are sworn to protect and serve as well. No-knock warrants escalate force which has resulted in dead policemen as well as innocent citizens. Bonus: map pinpointing botched raids of various types.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,853,955 times
[SIZE=2]Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] the land of the free and the home of the brave? Yeah...right.
[/SIZE]

Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
1) We aren't talking pigs, we are talking human beings. In this case a baby. The woman's house had burnt down and this was her family. Lord knows none of us have a perfect family, and sometimes we need them.

2) Police are a part of the executive branch. In a case like this they are supposed to apprehend a suspect and then bring the suspect to a court of law so that the suspect can be afforded the opportunity by trial. Police absolutely have the right to defend themselves, but we have seen how no-knock warrants remove the power and responsibility of judgement from the appointed judge and place it into the hands of police officers. The escalation of force happens on the side of government once police are authorized to use breach tactics.

3) According to this Christian Science Monitor article no knock warrant issuance has increased from 3,000 in 1981 to over 50,000 in 2005. What have been the results of it? Why are these governmental entities not justifying their use of force against innocent citizens?

4) This is dangerous policy for our men and women who are sworn to protect and serve as well. No-knock warrants escalate force which has resulted in dead policemen as well as innocent citizens. Bonus: map pinpointing botched raids of various types.
But your beef is misplaced as the executive branches job is to enforce the laws created by congress without question. If you feel it is being abused then you need to change the criteria for said warrant by changing the law.

As I said, what occurred is a tragedy, but again, if you lie with dogs you're going to get fleas. Most law abiding citizens live their entire lives without such interaction. Mistakes can, and will happen, but should we stop enforcing the law upon criminals? Personally, I think drugs should be legal, but it is what it is, and the system we have.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM

Here's a different article.

Toddler critically burned when police stun grenade lands in crib | www.wsbtv.com

An arrest was made, and they had bought drugs at the house previously in an undercover operation.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,583,484 times
Quote:
But your beef is misplaced as the executive branches job is to enforce the laws created by congress without question. If you feel it is being abused then you need to change the criteria for said warrant by changing the law.

As I said, what occurred is a tragedy, but again, if you lie with dogs you're going to get fleas. Most law abiding citizens live their entire lives without such interaction. Mistakes can, and will happen, but should we stop enforcing the law upon criminals? Personally, I think drugs should be legal, but it is what it is, and the system we have.
Even so it's ridiculous they act like they're going after Bin Laden just for drugs. So what if there are drugs? The EEEEEEEEEEEEVIL drugs sure do warrant flash bangs and gestapo tactics.

These are scum pigs that should know what "over kill" is.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:

It is not the job of a policeman to execute anybody. They are not supposed to make a judgment over the guilt or innocence no a person. I agree that there are issues within the law and justice system that allow police offices to get signatures for so many no-knock warrants, but its the police officers who pull pins and triggers which is why I referred to it as "Judge Dredd in the executive branch".

If by lying with dogs you're going to get fleas you mean if you lie in a crib as a baby you're going to get fragged then maybe you would have a point. But a police officer ideally shouldn't be in a situation where he could drop a stun grenade in a crib. If the man was as armed and dangerous as reported, then it would be a pretty bad idea to enter into his home in any circumstances. We lost a lot of boys in Iraq and Afghanistan because it can be so hard to clear a room with a concealed marksman in it. That's exactly what got these four officers shot and one of them killed.

I also don't accept that "it is what it is". If people can take to twitter and get CEO's fired for donating a few thousand dollars to a lobbyist group of their choosing, then clearly the voice of the people still has power. I think some things are worth talking about and being put into the public sphere, because the people are the final check and balance in our government.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Here's a different article.

Toddler critically burned when police stun grenade lands in crib | www.wsbtv.com

An arrest was made, and they had bought drugs at the house previously in an undercover operation.
There seems to be some misinformation about when and where the suspect was actually arrested. The Atlanta Journal Constitution says "Thometheva was not at the home at the time of the raid but was later arrested at another house on a felony drug charge of distribution of meth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events