Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

I was free to roam till the streetlights came on and do...whatever. I could come home whenever I wanted too. If I wanted to make lunch I knew where everything was. If I had money I could take the bus, go to the movies, museums, eat out, and have ice cream. It was a good life. I would babysit and do yardwork for extra money. And yes, this was at 9 years old. I was fine and the babies I watched are all fine too.

This kid is 9, not 3. At 6, I was taking the bus to the pool for the day. I would make myself a brown bag lunch and take the bus back too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:53 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Didn't read the entire article, is it about a boy or girl?
If boy i don't see any problems, if girl i'd say let the mother make a donation (half of monthly income will do) to Child Alert Foundation.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gosh, when I was 9 my mother put me on a cross town bus to go to the Boys Club and I played in the local park for hours, without her. The Park is called Golden Gate and the town was San Francisco.

Never got killed or nuthin'.

And to the Helicopter parents: there were bad people and perverts back in the day.
It's much worse now and you know that.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
grew up in the 60s and 70s and from about age 8 the rule was "be home before dark". My dad worked and my mother was dead, no babysitters unless he had to go out at night. And yeah, there were crazy folk back then. I remember my friends be shot at by 2 drunk guys in their early twenties when we were rafting down a river near my house. Another time a guy tried to get a girl down the street into his van. We knew there were bad people and knew to get the hell away from them. I realize there is a lot more violent crime these days but to expect a woman working at McDonalds to be able to pay for childcare is luidicrous. You do the best you can and teach your kids to be smart. Kids are so babied these days. I was cooking dinner for the family by the time I was 10. Nowadays people in their 20s don't know how to cook or take care of themselves. They depend on their mother's to solve all their problems. Ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:19 AM

390 posts, read 824,345 times
When I was a 10 kid only 20 years ago, I would go bicycle to the park that was a couple of miles away from my house. I would hang out there all day. Lots of other kids were there, all unsupervised.

I have gone back to that same park recently, and all the kids are now with parents. Times have changed, and helicopter parents are the norm now. No wonder kids these days have no sense of independence.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Didn't read the entire article, is it about a boy or girl?
If boy i don't see any problems, if girl i'd say let the mother make a donation (half of monthly income will do) to Child Alert Foundation.
If she had half her monthly income as disposable, the kid would have probably been in a for-profit day camp. She works at McDonald's for crying out loud. Sheesh.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Can you not see the difference between a kid being left home or coming home to an empty house for a couple of hours, and being dropped off in a park for 8 hours? With mother being more than a mile away?

In addition to that if they're hungry or thirsty there is food and drink in a refrigerator, need to go to the bathroom don't have to worry about going into a public restroom in a park.

Not a great idea to have kid inside all day like that, but it beats being outside for hours on end alone.

I wonder how many of these people who think there is nothing wrong with this would enjoy being outdoors for 8 hours a day in SC in the summer.
What kid wants to sit in a house all day. I know as a kid I did not. A kid sitting in a house all day is just going to get fat and lazy. Kids need exercise. The kid was able to on her own walk to the park I think she would be old enough to take care of her self in a park.I used to ride a bike all over town when I was that age and I am only 30 now.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
The girl asked to go to the park, after sitting at her mom's work bored. Everyone keeps saying she was stranded there for 8 hours. Was she? How much longer was her mom's shift? What if she only had 4 hours left? Is the kids still abandoned? The daughter knew how to walk to the park, do you think she wouldn't know how to walk back to McD's and get some food from mom? This is getting so blown up!

Remember, much violent crime has actually gone down, not up. The number of Law and Order shows have gone up. And the awful perverts are usually people the kids know, so locking her up at home, in a neighborhood that might be more dangerous than her mom's work neighborhood, so that's no necessarily the best plan either.

The truth is, we just don't know the real story. It could have been neglect, but it might have just been a kid going to the park.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
If she had half her monthly income as disposable, the kid would have probably been in a for-profit day camp. She works at McDonald's for crying out loud. Sheesh.
Isn't the great United States of America supposed to be a wealthy country... taking 50% just once of her monthly income would make her lose her kid MURICA!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:05 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Can you not see the difference between a kid being left home or coming home to an empty house for a couple of hours, and being dropped off in a park for 8 hours? With mother being more than a mile away?

In addition to that if they're hungry or thirsty there is food and drink in a refrigerator, need to go to the bathroom don't have to worry about going into a public restroom in a park.

Not a great idea to have kid inside all day like that, but it beats being outside for hours on end alone.

I wonder how many of these people who think there is nothing wrong with this would enjoy being outdoors for 8 hours a day in SC in the summer.
Helicopter mom alert!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events