Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times

Advertisements

If we eliminate the Child Labor Laws we could put all these all young invaders to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If we eliminate the Child Labor Laws we could put all these all young invaders to work.
As deplorable as that sounds, that's one of the first things that popped into my mind. We could bring all the sweat shops home away from the Chinese and South Pacific ones and at least put a some Americans to work to manage the factories. Big improvement for the economy.

But Wall St. would find a way to under cut them to keep this from happening.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post

In Costa Rica he is having another home built and the builder is a MAN from Nicaragua. He quit before my friend took off on his trip. Reason? He told my friend that he and 6 other guys were moving to the US because Obama said get here "pronto". These are men, not little cute children. They were told the message is out that they will get "total care" by Obama and they don't have to work.

Don't defend this unless you have facts. Scott, the OP is correct and you sir should be talking to your congress demanding them stop this. WE the tax payer will pick up the tab for these people for their entire family.
Cool story Bro
I have met to meet a lazy Immigrant. Most are hard working law abiding citizens

Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
El Salvador alone, a tiny country the size of San Fransisco, had 378 murders in June alone, that dwarfs any American city by far.
This is the latest cover story to justify letting them in. El Salvadaor is today what it has always been. Heck, there was a full fledged civil war there complete with communist guerrillas back in the 80s. The death toll was in the tens of thousands. Did you see anyone riding on top of trains to come here. The change is in THIS country. Word got out that if you want to come do it now because nobody is getting deported for now.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post

Third, these posts come straight out the Fox News handbook. A report about Bengazi is about to be released absolving the Obama administration,
How? Ambassador Stevens was found alive somewhere?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
First, illegal, and what is occurring in this case are two different things. I don't agree with illegals getting licenses, and I agree with Jan Brewer of AZ. Apples and oranges to the topic at hand.

Second, I'm retired from the California construction industry, and I'm never meet a lazy immigrant from south of our border, but have fired lazy American born who feel entitled.

Third, these posts come straight out the Fox News handbook. A report about Bengazi is about to be released absolving the Obama administration, and we need a new argument. Both parties are slinging BS over this one.

Sort them out, and those with gang affiliation go back and put the kids into foster care.

Your insinuation that I watch Fox is way off base. I watch CNN. I have watched Fox, just like I have watched ABC, NBC, etc. but my
"go to" is CNN. Blaming any opinions/info that you do not agree with on someone watching Fox is a liberal spin.

Living in California and probably being a Union worker explains your liberal opinions. I am not attacking you for your different opinion,....I am just saying that that is probably a contributing factor to your outlook on many things you post about and you probably just should learn to respect others who have a different opinion.

All I am saying is we cannot keep paying for all these people who are coming in and going on welfare. I was a medical professional as is my husband( who still is a medical professional) and I can tell you, these people are all getting welfare. Ask everyone on this forum whose had ancestors come through Ellis Island. No one is going to say they came in and went on welfare and expected the Americans to foot the bill for them. It didn't happen. They were proud to be living here, came legally and worked their butts off to make a better family for their kids and spoke English. These people coming now are on welfare.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
I think rather than us opening our doors for everyone (which is what we have done) who is not happy with their country, maybe we should 1.) tell Mexico to stop letting them come through Mexico or we will cut off all funding we give them and stop all trade.

2.) Send security educators to these countries to get the crime under control. 3.) open trade with these countries so that their will be more business for them there so they do not want to leave their country. 4.) we need to quit advertising that they can come here and bring their families and the gov will take care of them. That IS exactly what they are being told.

As I said, I have a friend who is a Director at a facility dealing with this. Now they have had to close the centers because they are filled. Their holding capacity was 60K. So they are saying now 90K of these people are sitting in our centers.That does not include the tens of thousands that have already been shipped to every single state. So how many more are we expected to take in and support.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
scarachuck...my ancestors from Italy and Poland moved to a neighborhood called South Chicago, a steel mill neighborhood, around the turn of the last century(1900)......

The interesting thing...many mexican legal immigrants did as well....their neighborhoods were well established in the 1920's, and they did things no different than the italians or poles, had their own catholic churches and ethnic stores on Commercial Av., even their own movie theater(Gayety theater)....my dad used to go there on Saturdays to watch cartoons in the mornings, and have candy at the store adjoining, and everyone hung out together, took the same buses, largely went to the same public schools.....

This was the church that Mexican neighborhood established, all the way back in 1923....still there and thriving 91 years later..

Home

The point is, the Mexican immigrants came here legally back then, and slowly, same as the other groups...they assimilated, worked hard, blended in, and would not harbor illegals back then themselves....they wanted to be seen as no different than anyone else..they wanted to be Americans, and became americans..proudly....members of those families all served in the major wars....I knew their grandchildren 3 generations down by the time I came along, and they were no different than the poles or italians...listened to the same Top 40 music, some were stoners, some were preppy, same as anyone else.....they were as far removed from the "old country" as I was from my countries of Origin....I knew many that did not even speak Spanish.

That being said, this is a new paradigm......

We are having a VERY hard time providing jobs and opportunities/education for our own citizens now. There is not much to go around anymore, unlike back then.

We simply are looking at a zero sum cake..it is finite and shrinking, and there is sadly little to go around......

The only, and literally only, rationale now for immigration would be to allow those with needed skills, mostly tech orientated, and hopefully with a nest egg, to start businesses, same as Canada does...other than that, there has to be a very strict accounting for who else comes in.....

The door is not shut.....legal immigrants from essentially all countries in the world can STILL come here....they simply have to do it legally, not sneak over, and hope they don't get caught in the shadows......

This is not cute, and not a game.....we can't encourage our own young women to have children out of wedlock with no skills to become wards of the state either, which is happening only too often...

In our own country, per our own citizens, 44% of all children are born out-of-wedlock......we have huge problems of our own. Crime is still endemic in many cities...some cities have horrific job prospects......education is strapped for funds on all levels..college grads are strapped with college loans for years at 300-400 bucks a month, sometimes for decades, because there are not enough funds coming from the states themselves....

This SIMPLY is not the time for a huge influx of chronically poor, chronically uneducated people, legal or not, to come here. In a measured way, like the immigrants of yore I spoke of, yes.......but this has to be done the right way, measured, in time, under due legal process....this is not a joke...this is the real world..
Thanks for posting that. Why does it seem like there are very few of us that see the difference between this and the invasion of illegals we are having now ?
I don't know a lot of how my Mexican side of the family ended up here, other than they ended up in the mid west working to help build railroads thru Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I'm assuming they got here legally... .

Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM

607 posts, read 761,107 times
Tourian and others...

Whose responsibility is it to make sure those children are raised right?...

I believe it is the parents of the children in those countries who have a murder rate of 190 per 100,000, which is what I presume the 190.0 is......

Why is there a murder rate of 190 there? And what job are the parents of a country whose murder rate is 190 doing to make sure their children are raised with morals and respect?

It all comes down to the famalias down there, not us.......as I mentioned, we ourselves have a 44% out of wedlock rate, which is the main cause of crime.....

Why do we?

Why is Honduras not doing the job of raising decent kids, who would not be contributing to that 190 rate if they had intact, decent parents?

It ALL comes down to parenting....blaming it on the US, the "man", the rich, etc, is absurd......

Jewish Russian immigrants were dirt poor in NYC in the 1890's, and were too busy raising strictly and moving up in the world to blame anyone for their problems, and abject themselves from family matters....and now, 5 or so generations down the line, they are doing quite fine, thank you...

Vietnamese immigrants come here with nothing, and do extremely well doing what they can, and don't blame anyone for their problems...

The sole reason for that 190.0 rate is that parents are taking no responsibility in Honduras for raising their kids...no rate goes that high in a vacuum.....that result comes from kids raising themselves, same as in our worse US city neighborhoods...

So now, after they take no responsibility for raising their kids, and allow that crime rate to hit 190.0, they let them leave by themselves, with, again, no supervision, to get raped or abused, taking a chance to go to a strange country of which they don't even speak the language, as minors not even of legal age to work, with no skills?

Am I getting this?

I'm not sure......

And what answers do WE have for these migrants, desperate as they are, if we have no solutions for our own desperate people....

Compounding foreign desperate together with our own desperate is no solution.......

Also, this is a smokescreen...the main issue is, where in God's name are the jobs for our OWN people, when so much has been outsourced or technologically defunct(ATM's, robotics, cloud software management systems, etc.)?

The main question is how can we help the 48% of our working age people(18-65) who do not work and have stopped looking for the same? So many would kill for a decent living-wage job....

THAT is the issue.....what we can do for even more desperate illegals is hardly an issue with the above 48% stat..

We have written off half of our own population......lets get them working and making enough money to support families before we add millions more even more desperate souls who have less skills, and can't even speak english...

I would like some specifics on exactly what jobs the central americans will be taking, what cities they will be living in, what public services they will avail themselves of(of which, of course, those monies will be taken from a finite pie of limited gov't funds that are not enough to help our own people), and what game plan we have to keep track of the same.

Is this just a mystery or game? Is anyone keeping track of exact numbers, ages, the health or contagious diseases they have or need help with, their skills, etc?

Or are they going to fall 100% into the shadows, with no one taking tabs, responsibility, or giving a crap about them, in which they will inevitably fall into gangs, public aid, and such?

I think it quite insane, if you ask me.....

Lastly, in the central american countries, you are an adult at 14, and expected to work at that point, and move on......are these children of 14 and 15 going to be working in illegal sweatshops(many girls do)....?......I presume they are here to work and sent remittances to pay their coyotes back immediately...certainly, developing job skills and getting a diploma is surely the last thing the "parents" or coyotes want......

think about it.....

Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM

607 posts, read 761,107 times
I will say this is sad for everyone, and there is no gloating or name calling here....people are bringing up interesting points on all spectrums....

Are there really any answers here?

I don't think so.....

It is really a pleasure to be able to talk about this with good people on here(Everyone here has a valid point, and all input is appreciated)......all people posting on here are decent, and thanks to ALL of your for your points...

Maybe we can at least toss a few ideas on the table...

We certainly could not do worse than our elected officials on all levels, right? LOL....

Again, thanks to everyone for their ideas/points, and keep them coming(and be nice...everyone has a valid point are all points are welcome)...

I seriously think we can find some answers here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events