Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times

Advertisements

I am probably the only one who feels this way and of course many will think this post tasteless, but it's nonetheless how I feel.

To an extent, I think we should forget 9/11.

What I mean is that, to me, 9/11 has been used as a reason for over-the-top security and the aggravation of things like TSA and schools being almost like prisons. I get tired of having to wait in lines and seemingly having to have a background check done on me just to, say, pick up my kids from school or visit someone at the hospital. It's aggravating, it's inconvenient, and I think that matters, and I think it's an over-the-top reaction.

What bothers me is most people seem just fine & dandy with these everyday aggravations, and think those of us who want live to be a little more convenient and less paranoid are ridiculous. I could not disagree more.

In like manner, I think the way many people now won't let their kids play outdoors unless someone is always there, the way some people flip out over someone doing photography in the street, and the way all these stadiums started banning backpacks on account of the Boston Marathon incident, is a direct result of post 9/11 paranoia. Before, it seems we had a sense of perspective, that, what, 5 people dying in the Boston Marathon bombing shouldn't mean that everyone with a pressure cooker in their kitchen or using a backpack in public should be subject to pat-downs and glares of suspicion. I read about the worst ever school attack, the Bath School disaster, this was in 1927, yet people think school attacks just started the past 10 years or so. Not only that, in the 1927 attack, they rebuilt the school (it had been bombed) right on the same spot within the next year or so, and people moved on. Also, no new laws were introduced.

I think I kind of prefer things to be like that.

In 2012 and 2013, and we would've done likewise this year had our schedules and such allowed it, we vacationed in a group of cabins in northern ARK in the Ozarks. What I liked about it--the laid back atmosphere. All they asked us to do was give our name, that's it. They didn't require a credit card for deposit, they didn't even ask for our ID, our license plate, and they wouldn't take any money from us until it was time to check-out. We tried to "pre-pay" but they were like "no, don't worry about it, we'll deal with that when you check out." Our brother-in-law later went there and noticed the same thing, and loved that about the place as well.

We went to the various "natural" attractions in the area, and it was great--no long lines, no having to submit to pat-downs, no having to empty our bags or leave our bags at home, I took photos of everything I saw and no one freaked out. It was just great.

Also, at one point, the lady who owned the cabins was in our place talking to us, she had her older kids (10-14 or so) with her and they said they wanted to go to the pool, she said "sure, go," and with that they were gone. After awhile we noticed our son of age 3 was not with us, this lady said "don't worry, I'm sure he just went with my kids to play with them." Sure enough, that's where we found him, and he was totally happy and loving it. At one point, at that pool, I was there doing Wi-Fi laptop stuff while he was in the pool, when I was done I told him he needed to go with me. The lady's kids were there they said "we can watch him for you if you'd like," and they did just that, and then brought him back to our cabin when they were done.

To me, THAT is life should be, and it is such a refreshing change from what I otherwise see--people flipping out if their kids play outside in their own yard for more than 5 seconds without constant supervision, people requiring you to practically have a background check just to pick up your kids from school or daycare, people screaming "pervert!" at you when you're taking photos in public that are NOT upskirts etc, the police intervening everytime something goes the slightest bit amiss at school rather than just letting the teachers handle it. I can understand some security, and I can understand places like the FBI or Pentagon having very stringent standards, but to see so much of this in everyday life, I hate it.

I hate it, all of it, and I think people's post-9/11 paranoia, and their acceptance of all of this "security theater," is due to 9/11 and the need to remember, beyond the understandable need to remember the victims and heroes, all of which I understand.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
I agree! When I see all of the "Never forget 9/11" stickers and slogans I just have to do a facepalm- of course we don't forget those who died, but why keep rehashing it, like picking at a healing scab? My wife who has only been in the US for ten years says the same thing, asking what is with us Americans, why do we have this obsession with negative events instead of learning from them and moving on?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,149 times
I agree with the OP, here's the breakdown on airport security.

TRANSPORTATION SECURITY
AGENCY INTERIM REPORT
FOR AUGUST 2014
FULL BODY SCANS AT U.S. AIRPORTS

Airport Screening Results: [CENTER] AUGUST 2014Statistics On Airport Full Body Screening From TSA :
Terrorists Discovered
Transvestites
Hernias
Hemorrhoid Cases
Enlarged Prostates
Breast Implants
Natural Blondes
[/CENTER]
It was also revealed that 538 politicians had no balls.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Big deal, so you have to go thru more security at airports. I for one welcome more screening because I really don't want to end up a fireball in the sky, thanks. Schools are prisons? How so? Because some have metal detectors at the doors? Security? OH NO!!!!! None of your freedoms have been taken away. And by the way, when you vacation in areas not many people go to, such as those cabins you speak of, you will never experience lines or security. That is nothing new. High volume tourist areas? You're gonna be experiencing lines & security, that's just the way it is. So in conclusion, don't go to those high destination areas if you can't take waiting in lines or security. I know I don't but that's because I'm not one for touristy things.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Big deal, so you have to go thru more security at airports. I for one welcome more screening because I really don't want to end up a fireball in the sky, thanks. Schools are prisons? How so? Because some have metal detectors at the doors? Security? OH NO!!!!! None of your freedoms have been taken away. And by the way, when you vacation in areas not many people go to, such as those cabins you speak of, you will never experience lines or security. That is nothing new. High volume tourist areas? You're gonna be experiencing lines & security, that's just the way it is. So in conclusion, don't go to those high destination areas if you can't take waiting in lines or security. I know I don't but that's because I'm not one for touristy things.
I will "whine" all I want, and if you don't like it, you can go swan dive off a cliff for all I care. You have your opinion, I have mine. It's pretty simple. I seem to recall a lot of soldiers before us sacrificing so you had the freedom to talk as you please, and the same goes for me, and everyone else.

No one wants to end up as a fireball, be real. What does the TSA practically raping an old lady in a wheelchair using Depend undergarments have to do with not being a bunch of roasting weinees? What does practically body-slamming a teen with a phone or sending the police after a 7 year old smacking gum have to do with anything other than out and out ridiculous paranoia and a hideous abuse of authority? Since when does it make any sense for one single incident at Boston which killed, what, 5 people, mean that now every single NFL stadium and every single venue now has to ban backpacks altogether? A man once shot and killed 23 people at a Luby's cafeteria, should I now have to be strip-searched everytime I want to eat at a cafeteria? You know, certain men rape, so should all men be castrated at birth? Should all dating be banned unless you submit to a background check?

Sorry, but I think that's an extreme overreaction.

You can think it's just fine and dandy--me, I think it's ridiculous. Simple as that.

Last edited by shyguylh; 09-11-2014 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I will "whine" all I want, and if you don't like it, you can go swan dive off a cliff for all I care. You have your opinion, I have mine. It's pretty simple. I seem to recall a lot of soldiers before us sacrificing so you had the freedom to talk as you please, and the same goes for me, and everyone else.

No one wants to end up as a fireball, be real. What does the TSA practically raping an old lady in a wheelchair using Depend undergarments have to do with not being a bunch of roasting weinees? What does practically body-slamming a teen with a phone or sending the police after a 7 year old smacking gum have to do with anything other than out and out ridiculous paranoia and a hideous abuse of authority? Since when does it make any sense for one single incident at Boston which killed, what, 5 people, mean that now every single NFL stadium and every single venue now has to ban backpacks altogether? You know, certain men rape, so should all men be castrated at birth? Should all dating be banned unless you submit to a background check? A man once shot over 10 people at a Luby's cafeteria, should I now have to be strip-searched everytime I want to eat at a cafeteria?

Sorry, but I think that's an extreme overreaction.

You can think it's just fine and dandy--me, I think it's ridiculous. Simple as that.
Swan dive off a cliff? Grow up.

Were you raped by a TSA agent? I don't recall being raped by a TSA agent. I dont' recall any problems when I fly other than my severe fear of flying. We have people who go thru purses or bags when entering festivals or concerts. Again, big deal. Are you so delicate that a simple pat down, a rifling thru a bag, etc. is such a hardship for you? Give me a break, it's a few minutes even seconds out of your day. Do those few moments ruin your entire day?

Since you had such a laid back experience at those cabins perhaps you should restrict your outings & vacations to similar places.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
I might agree but from a different angle. I'll try to say this simply without getting caught up in it.

I was brought to realization of terrorism in 1973 or so when 1973 Rome airport attacks and hijacking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia occurred. The ARAMCO fatalities were members of my community.

In the 28 years since then, there have been other incidents and when I grew up, I had various assignments against terrorism.

9/11 occurs and on one side, I look at such and say, "Good, now you know, welcome to the fight," but on the other side, it gnarls the teeth because it seems like to most people, terrorism did not exist before 9/11.

Unfortunately, year after year, I am reminded that the latter attitude seems to prevail. Where is the memory, where was the outrage in the decades before when Americans were being killed overseas?

It simply does not exist.

EDIT: leaning back to original post: maybe if people had taken more notice back then, taken more of a reaction back then, it may not have been such a massive knee jerk reaction of the present.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-11-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:26 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
I understand what you are feeling, shyguylh. I grew up in an age and environment where as a child, I had the run of the town. The only time my parents were freaked out was during the Watts Riots in 1965. We couldn't leave the block at that time.

Unfortunately, we live in a new world now. The full blame cannot be placed on a single terrorist act thirteen years ago. It is an overall societal problem and the sense of the loss of personal responsibility. In this internet age of instant world-wide news reports, the problems seem larger than they really are. Good news doesn't sell advertisement space. Sex and violence does. Some people don't want to play this silly game, like your Ozark cabin host. Those are people and places to be cherished.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Swan dive off a cliff? Grow up.

Were you raped by a TSA agent? I don't recall being raped by a TSA agent. I dont' recall any problems when I fly other than my severe fear of flying. We have people who go thru purses or bags when entering festivals or concerts. Again, big deal. Are you so delicate that a simple pat down, a rifling thru a bag, etc. is such a hardship for you? Give me a break, it's a few minutes even seconds out of your day. Do those few moments ruin your entire day?

Since you had such a laid back experience at those cabins perhaps you should restrict your outings & vacations to similar places.
Well congratulations that you can't identify with any of this. Hurrah for you. That doesn't mean that everyone else with what they see as a legitimate complaint or such is "whining." It just means you can't relate, big woop.

THAT is part of growing up, understanding that your being comfortable with something doesn't mean someone else's issues are "whining." That's very narrow-minded.

No, I've not been raped by a TSA agent, but many have, and I think when an 80 year old in a wheelchair is groped, I think it's a legitimate complaint. When you have to accept LONG lines that are created due to an incident that happened 13 years ago, I think at some point it starts to become excessive.

If you are talking about "typical" quick scans in concerts, okay. When they totally ban all backpacks at stadiums and base it on an incident at one single marathon in Boston that killed, what, 5 people, yes I think that's an overreaction. At some point, we need to not be so reactionary to every little thing, that's all I'm saying.

Yes, I restrict my outings to such things, and for that reason. Prior to things getting as they were, I might would try out other adventures, but no longer, and it's because the security has gotten crazy at times.

volosong and TamaraSavannah Thanks.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well congratulations that you can't identify with any of this. Hurrah for you. That doesn't mean that everyone else with what they see as a legitimate complaint or such is "whining." It just means you can't relate, big woop.

THAT is part of growing up, understanding that your being comfortable with someone doesn't mean someone else's issues are "whining." That's very narrow-minded.

No, I've not been raped by a TSA agent, but many have, and I think when an 80 year old in a wheelchair is groped, I think it's a legitimate complaint. When you have to accept LONG lines that are created due to an incident that happened 13 years ago, I think at some point it starts to become excessive.

If you are talking about "typical" quick scans in concerts, okay. When they totally ban all backpacks at stadiums and base it on an incident at one single marathon in Boston that killed, what, 5 people, yes I think that's an overreaction. At some point, we need to not be so reactionary to every little thing, that's all I'm saying.

Yes, I restrict my outings to such things, and for that reason. Prior to things getting as they were, I might would try out other adventures, but no longer, and it's because the security has gotten crazy at times.
I agree banning backpacks is overkill. I don't have a problem with pat downs, going thru bags or even metal detectors. No big deal. I just went to a NIN concert & the girl rifling thru my purse did a very very thorough job. Good thing I didn't have my pipe in there, that would've been gone. Also got a patdown after her. The main reason that I may not go to certain events is more because too many people, too many families/strollers, etc. The getting in part doesn't even enter my thoughts ever.

I don't know why but through the years things change & what was once a given no longer is. I grew up in a 'burb but in a very boonie part of the burb, more like the country. Talk about hardly any supervision! Things change & I guess if one doesn't want to have to worry about their kids getting snatched or whatever then living in the country is probably the best advice. Other than that, I guess I kinda roll with things & don't really view things as a hardship or freedoms being taken away or what have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events