Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM

218 posts, read 287,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
But with that said, I guarantee you that Michael P. Fay has never stolen or vandalized another car since returning from Singapore.
Nope. But he did commit other illegal offenses.

"Several months after returning to the U.S., Fay suffered burns to his hands and face after a butane incident.[25][26][27] He was subsequently admitted to the Hazelden rehabilitation program for butane abuse.[25] He claimed that sniffing butane "made him forget what happened in Singapore."[28] In 1996, he was cited in Florida for a number of violations, including careless driving, reckless driving, not reporting a crash and having an open bottle of alcohol in a car.[29] Later, in 1998, still in Florida, Fay was arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, charges to which he confessed but was acquitted[30] because of technical errors in his arrest.[31]"

Michael P. Fay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Adults are more psychologically and cognitively developed than 4YO children, thus, non-physical methods of teaching and correction are more appropriate for adults.
The job of parents is to guide children psychologically and cognitively, to help them learn how to behave in the world.

I suspect that the lesson Adrian Peterson's son learned here is that if you are bigger and stronger, you get to beat up on the smaller and weaker.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I suspect that the lesson Adrian Peterson's son learned here is that if you are bigger and stronger, you get to beat up on the smaller and weaker.
For those that have been whipped, I can almost guarantee that's not the thought process at any age. Whippings are more mental than physical...a whipping means you have greatly disappointed your parents to the point where they have to whip you (something they truly don't want to do).

Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For those that have been whipped, I can almost guarantee that's not the thought process at any age. Whippings are more mental than physical...a whipping means you have greatly disappointed your parents to the point where they have to whip you (something they truly don't want to do).
My parents spanked me once. When my younger brother misbehaved, I proceeded to give him a swat on his tush. When my parents questioned it, I reported that I was older and he had done something bad. Physical discipline = power and control, not love and guidance. I also told them it hurt me more than it hurt him. I was 4. My parents never spanked again and, what do you know, my brother and I are now adults in our mid-20s and have NEVER been in trouble. Not even a speeding ticket. Not even a detention in high school.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:

B.S.

Whippings are physical.

I can guarantee those whippings will stop once the 4 y/o is strong enough to turn the tables on Adrian Peterson.

And yes, I have been whipped. Belts, wire fly swatters, switches... whatever is handy. The mental process is resentment, anger, fear, strong desire to get the heck of dodge...

As to parents now wanting to whip their children -- B.S. I've seen the look on a parent's face while whipping a child.

Parents who don't want to whip their children, don't whip them. Many children are raised without being whipped and they turn out just fine.

For example, this 4 y/o could have been told since he hasn't learned to take turns and shoved someone off a toy, then he will not be allowed to play on this toy for the rest of the day.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
Quote:
So, tell me eddiehaskell, where and when does it cross the line into abuse?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:47 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Nope, disagree strongly.

There is a very mean streak in some people. Just like those that commit crimes against adults. Using your theory when I was jumped and mugged by two thugs that tried to kill me they "truly" didn't want to do it.
I call BS.

My old man loved beating up my mother and I. It made him feel that he was the one in charge to feed his inflated ego. We did nothing to deserve that. This was the case here since Peterson admitted this is how he was taught right from wrong.
Therefore he wanted to do it.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
B.S.

Whippings are physical.

I can guarantee those whippings will stop once the 4 y/o is strong enough to turn the tables on Adrian Peterson.

And yes, I have been whipped. Belts, wire fly swatters, switches... whatever is handy. The mental process is resentment, anger, fear, strong desire to get the heck of dodge...

As to parents now wanting to whip their children -- B.S. I've seen the look on a parent's face while whipping a child.

Parents who don't want to whip their children, don't whip them. Many children are raised without being whipped and they turn out just fine.

For example, this 4 y/o could have been told since he hasn't learned to take turns and shoved someone off a toy, then he will not be allowed to play on this toy for the rest of the day.
Only in the context that parents who commit assault on their children run the risk that they will not have a relationship with their child later in life. Or it will be severely damaged. As someone who experienced that I find it very sad.

My father and I were never close because of my rotten childhood. Even as a teenager I was afraid of him so there was never any "turning of tables." I never forgot and he never apologized which still bothers me to this day.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixprynce View Post
Well DCFS got a MAJOR problem on their hands. Although I think the new generation of parents (2008- ) rather SPOIL their kids and I dont see them getting the same treatment my generation(Millennial) got.

I'm glad there's a happy medium so people don't have to spoil their children or abuse them by using hangers, belts, extension cords and switches.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm glad there's a happy medium so people don't have to spoil their children or abuse them by using hangers, belts, extension cords and switches.
Exactly. I don't know when the two extremes became the only options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events