Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 10:42 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post

I don't understand why some people feel scarring a child's body is acceptable in the name of discipline but knocking a woman out in an elevator is worthy of condemnation to hell. At what point does discipline become abuse? Because personally I feel Peterson crossed that line.
We don't really know if the child is permenatly scarred. Judging by those nicks, I'd say the chances are slim to none.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:49 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You just compared two completely different things. Physically assaulting a woman by punching her to the ground in a fit of anger is completely different than whipping a child. I'm surprised that adults can't make the distinction.
Because there isn't a distinction, other than the age of the victim. In both cases, it's someone, in a fit of anger, trying to "teach a lesson".

Old 09-15-2014, 10:51 AM

229 posts, read 337,699 times
This topic is something I experienced first hand but yet I see both sides, sorry in advance for the book. For one, when I first heard about AP using a switch on his child that is what I remembered MANY parents and grandparents do in the midwest and south, no matter ethnicity, on their children along with belts and couldn't understand the uproar. However, once I saw the pics I understood why some would be shocked. While even he admitted that was extreme and do not condone that level of discipline I hope he does not get caught up in the world morals we live in today and stop what they call corporal punishment but understand there are limits, this even coming from someone who was abused by parents.

I was abused from 2 years old all the way past 18 years. While some think of abuse as just yelling or regular spankings I was subject to beatings by open and closed fists, beatings with belts for sometimes 2 minutes that left similar lash marks since I had to strip down to no clothes, was beat with not branches but extension cords, sometimes that were put in water to increase pain, and a few times beating awoke while sleeping with an extension cord or belt. This was all done along with yelling, verbal put downs, and at the same time I was being bullied at school. This is also a time when schools were allowed to paddle kids and in some areas even your neighbors could light your backside if they caught you misbehaving and then they tell your parents and your parents would sometimes lay into you. This abuse was non stop and made life hell many reading this simply cannot imagine.

While I abhor that type of punishment and the extent of the AP discipline if I ever did have kids my children would be disciplined. One reason is I can see now as an adult how kids are different, one kid might just need things taken away or time outs might work for them. Others, may need to be readjusted and yes that would include spankings. While I was the sort that didn't need spankings since my parents could shame me into anything while younger but while younger I did learn how to respect my elders, observe rules, had manners, never went to jail, never got into any trouble while other friends who were lightly disciplined I know two that died, many experimented with drugs, got into gangs, got into some trouble with the law, or to be honest just grew up to be morons. I talked to a couple friends who said their parents were child abusers because they spanked them which I take offense. I even saw a kid kick a woman in the leg at a store and the parent spanked the kid on the pants and said stop it and another guy just comes by without seeing anything before and tells the parent they shouldn't spank their kids. THIS is the world we live in where people want to impose their views and any dissension is thought of as
old school outdated logic or you're phobic all the while ignoring in many cases THEY are using peer pressure or bullying into you buying into their way of thinking. I find hilarious when I see anti-spanking parents at stores and their embarrassment when their kids are acting a fool and others who might also be anti-spanking probably re-thinking their position.

True regardless if you spank or not spank you will see kids grow up to still resent and hate and kill these same parents, shoot up schools, act up in public places, do horrible things to people but I noticed when they talk to the parents MANY are parents who seem to have tried their best to raise their kids without corporal punishment. But what's the first thing these online gurus ask... where's the parents??? People think sending a kid to time out or can't touch them and the kid is suppose to have a healthy fear of authority figures? No what happens is they have none, have no sort of respect for life, still bully and still come out menaces to society. People love to just say its an "ethnic" thing or inner city yet overlook the kids in suburbia shooting, killing, stabbing, bullying, etc that sometimes just don't make media waves like a racial element does. What ills society today but lack of accountability IS the issue. We can see that with people posting comments with little regard to repercussions since they are "Invisible". Kids now know a teacher cannot touch them so they can call them names, threaten, beat, be rude and nothing can be done. Kids act out in public places all the time where you wonder who is the parent and the kid because either the parent uses the wrong discipline for that child, want to show the world they don't "beat" their kids or what I find as well are the result of lack of parenting so they just trickle that down and don't care either. People want to think all these causes are making the world better when it's not, people just keep their thoughts more to themselves out of fear of backlash but still have the same feelings or jump on forums. We are no better as a society then we are for a cure for cancer. The worlds overall attitude is a cancer and every method to fix it fails miserably since people don't want government, no rules, no regulations, no accountability, no discipline... they just want to do what they want no matter how it affects others.

Everyone rushes to take away someones way to earn income however much good can be accomplished if people are allowed to see their own mistakes and correct where needed. Yes the best thing was for AP to step away for a game to focus on his family and the team to remove him so its not an even bigger distraction however no man or woman should then be told just to have their life taken from them perm for a mistake even they admitted. I had a respectful and calm conversation with both my parents in person and on email around my late 20's and told them a lot of my emotional and mental issues were because of those moments and no child should have had to endure the hell that even if on my dying bed I would not take an offer from God to go back in time. My mom, at first, was livid and upset and stormed out. She came downstairs one hour later apologizing to me and begged for forgiveness which I immediately accepted. My mom went on to become my best friend before her death and the day before she died apologize yet again and said she asks God to forgive her as well. My father took longer but after time also apologized twice and changed his whole personality. Some might say yeah but you're still affected! You sent through 16 years of hell! Yes but I learned though how to became a survivor and not to repeat my mistakes because I understood balanced thoughts on discipline. I'm not the smartest man even on my own block but I know discipline should come in all forms. Plus I don't blame them now for bad choices I make that was YEARS ago. I accept it happened and learned and don't make excuses for my bad choices now, in this way it teaches me responsibility and accountability and when I make mistakes, just like you and AP, I can resolve and move on. AP should be allowed to learn and move on just like even Ray Rice.

I'm reminded everyday how appreciative I am that while growing up there were no forums, chat boards, 24/7 media, and rush to fire or shame people for every offense. The same people who come down hardest on others are the same ones who a lot of times are bigots, made greater mistakes, worst choices and overlook that because they want others to I guess feel the pain they had to endure or enduring since I guess they think it's only fair since they had to suffer others should. Then others rush to judgment and want instant judgments not taking into consideration people who most of the time will come out better people than the ones vilifying others.

It doesn't make a difference in life what me or anyone on this forum say, what was important was that AP himself said hey I was raised a certain way however I understand I went to far and sorry. He didn't owe me, you or the world an apology since he did not wrong us in anyway however he did apologize to the people affected and that is a family matter that he should handle with them and the local City services. We as a society need to understand that not everyone who makes a mistakes needs to apologize to us and not everyone is going to think or react the way we do and not everyone needs to pay some lifetime sentence for a mistake. My thoughts are just my thoughts and sure ones will find fault but I don't jump on here enough to see what they are however that's OK since the man who lives that believes he knows all has not been born yet.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Anyone knows what's happening with Peterson's sponsorship deals with Nike and Verizon Wireless?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Anyone knows what's happening with Peterson's sponsorship deals with Nike and Verizon Wireless?
I havent seen anything about this in our local media

Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Because there isn't a distinction, other than the age of the victim. In both cases, it's someone, in a fit of anger, trying to "teach a lesson".
Let's make this easy. Do you not see a difference between a parent giving a child a few smacks on the butt and a man in a fit of rage punching a woman and knocking her out (potentially breaking bones/teeth)?

There is a HUGE difference between teaching children a lesson (they need to be taught) and teaching a grown adult a lesson. But heck, if a man could teach his woman a lesson by paddling her butt...I wouldn't be morally opposed to it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Let's make this easy. Do you not see a difference between a parent giving a child a few smacks on the butt and a man in a fit of rage punching a woman and knocking her out (potentially breaking bones/teeth)?

There is a HUGE difference between teaching children a lesson (they need to be taught) and teaching a grown adult a lesson. But heck, if a man could teach his woman a lesson by paddling her butt...I wouldn't be morally opposed to it.
I take it you haven't seen the photos. Probably just as well.

The woman regained consciousness. Got up off the floor, and for some odd reason, married the man. She was an adult. She has that choice.

The child who is at the mercy of his parents, did not have much of a choice.

Let's make this easy, for the simple-minded among us.

Beating up people to teach them a lesson is either something you think is a good idea or a poor idea.

Now, if you believe whipping, paddling, knocking people unconscious, etc. is a good way to teach people a lesson, please make that choice known to your employer, your family, and the legal system.

That way, if you do something that others want you to stop doing, you can step up and take your beating and/or whipping "like a man."

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-15-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:

What he did was NOT "a few smacks on the butt"

This conversation can't go anywhere if you're not willing to accept that.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What he did was NOT "a few smacks on the butt"

This conversation can't go anywhere if you're not willing to accept that.
He (eddiehaskell) is fully aware of that.

Previously, I pointed this out to him in explicit detail:

Quote:
The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and *******, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s ******* in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

I did so in this post right here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/36479063-post15.html

Cuts, bruises, defensive wounds to the hand, hit in the "nuts" (to quote Adrian Peterson himself)?

Clearly, eddiehaskell is so vested in excusing behavior that he knows is inexcusable that he feels it necessary to mischaracterize abundantly plain abuse as 'a few smacks on the butt'.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:57 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Leaving marks that look like your child was an extra in 12 years a Slave is not a spanking. There is a huge disciplinary space between issuing empty verbal threats or pleas that a child ignores because they know from previous experience that it is meaningless and a spanking and what Peterson did. There are plenty of effective punishments that don't involve a grown physically supersized adult male wailing on a 4 year old. Beatings are easy and convenient. A punishment that isn't a beating can still be physical and leave a valuable lasting impression but to do that takes thought, patience and sometimes creativity.

This is what is not making sense to me with the whole his how he was raised to teach a lesson excuse. For him and anyone else whose standard of living has drastically changed for the better from when they were children why is it that providing a child things such as a safer neighborhood or material possessions like a bikes, phones, video gaming systems, better schooling, summer camp stuff that money buys is acceptable even though presumably you didn't have them growing up is not a big deal, but when it comes to teaching a child life lessons and right and wrong beating them until it bleeds is the method used and that's how they were raised is the excuse given. Whether you just financially support a child or they are living under your roof chances are due to time and technology your child is not living the way you did and you are not raising them the way you were so why this aspect of parenting or lack of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events