Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,338,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
US people pay up to 35% of their income in taxes and still expect private business owners to act like charities? Isn't it too much? I regret that this woman has such a bad luck and a grim prognosis, but her employer has no obligations to support her, and she won't be able to work. If she won't be able to show up once a week to receive her unemployment benefits, how would she fulfill her office duties?
It is because no one has the legal right to "expect" any organization, business or otherwise, to act like a charity that we as a nation pay up to 35% in income taxes to hopefully address, at least in part, situations like this. The doctor seemed very quick to shift any residual responsibility he may have felt for his employee to the government (the public) by saying - apparently incorrectly - she could now go on unemployment.

Last edited by EveryLady; 09-15-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM

96 posts, read 125,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/health/lay-off...308014352.html

I think the Dr. was being nice and letting her collect unemployment. She can of course get disability pay later. But this article seems to be demonizing the dr.

All that being said, just another reason it's so great we have obamacare. This low income person would be stuck with no insurance once she got fired.(assuming he even gave her enough hours to give her health insurance)

No job, no insurance! That's the way it USED to be BEFORE obamacare. Now she's covered under the affordable care act/medicaid extention.
Thank you Obama for bringing the U.S. into the modern world and providing universal healthcare. It's amazing people don't know how great this law is. People listen to right wing propaganda. Where are the death panels again? Obamacare is every bit as good/important a basic safety net as medicare(which the repubs also want to get rid of)
Can she still get private LTD after the layoff?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,274,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you also read the part where the doctor claims he did it so she can collect unemployment?

People don't qualify for unemployment in my state if they are unable to work.

He screwed her.
This seems to be the general opinion but may not be correct.

Just because she can't do THAT job, does not automatically mean she can not do ANY job.

I was once fired for being "tardy" due to the sleep disorder they knew I had. I was certainly "able and available" for work but I had few options due to my disability being "incongruous w employer's needs."

[WARNING: Disclosure of a disability does not shield you w the ADA law as most think. All the employer has to say is "cannot meet needs of job."]

She might be able to do something (although I doubt it by that note.)

If she can, she is eligible for UI.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're living in la la land if you think she'll receive social security disability before she dies.

She has pancreatic, liver AND ovarian cancer. She's only going to live a few months at best.
Some illnesses are on the "compassionate allowance list" and get automatic SSDI approval. If she can't get UI due to her illness, it sounds bad enough that it probably meets that list. Most of them are fatal diseases.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Doctor was probably a conservative Republican.

No way you could do this in a corporation; HR would recognize that it is too legally risky.
Unfortunately, you can. See the magic words in my above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events