Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, that is easy for me. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
The Ravens released him and terminated his contract.

This past weekend they offered fans a generic jersey for those that want to turn in a jersey with Ray Rice's name on it.
Are they going to retire Ray Lewis' number or are they going to change it to 007?
Lewis, you will recall, played for Baltimore and was involved somehow in a killing. We don't know how because he was granted immunity from prosecution in exchange for testimony. But his white suit was never found and the victim's blood was found in Lewis' car.

Ah, them Ravens! They're a tricky bunch!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:40 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Wow. Exactly how is Ray Rice a victim? Bumping into someone is a mistake. Punching your fiance in the face goes wayyyy beyond mistake. I think the attitude of Rice's teammates is far more accurate an indicator of the NFL mind-set than anything Goodell or Bisciotti spits out.

Steelers vs. Ravens: Score and Twitter Reaction for Thursday Night Football | Bleacher Report
I'm sure some of those guys just see "the man" taking away the only real possibility Ray Rice has to provide for himself and his family in a significant way over what they would consider to be a personal issue between a teammate and his wife.

I wouldn't find it surprising to learn that Torrey Smith has a fairly narrow political worldview, that he is more loyal to his teammate and comrade (flaws and all) than he is to the big, fat, nameless, faceless mass of people that judge him and his friends.

Is Janay Palmer Rice better off with Ray Rice out of football? Maybe this is progress and maybe this is the right way to handle situations of naked, uncontrolled domestic violence that could conceivably have some trickle-down benefit to someone somewhere, but Ray Rice is screwed and Janay Palmer Rice has to decide whether she's going to go down with that ship or try to find someone else. Maybe Torrey is just thinking about what is best for them in his own way and all he can really do is dedicate a game ball. I wonder why anyone would be so inflamed about that...

Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Are they going to retire Ray Lewis' number or are they going to change it to 007?
Lewis, you will recall, played for Baltimore and was involved somehow in a killing. We don't know how because he was granted immunity from prosecution in exchange for testimony. But his white suit was never found and the victim's blood was found in Lewis' car.

Ah, them Ravens! They're a tricky bunch!
Yep, Lewis fit right in with the culture of the NFL...

Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Football does nothing for me and I'm a sports fan. It is way too violent for my taste. Obviously you are different. Have no idea why you would bring that up when you are clearly on record saying it doesn't bother you. Go ahead and enjoy cheering the thugs playing a violent sport. You have every right to do so.

Therein lies the irony, and perhaps some of the explanation, for the way law enforcement, and much of society, has treated this whole assault: Americans devour violence and understand that there are no consequences for behaving like a thug. Every Sunday afternoon you can get eight hours of it.

If this was you or me instead of this Rice guy, we would be in jail for attempted murder.

But because we are dealing with a serial creep who gets paid a LOT of money to assault other knuckleheads, he gets a pass.

Remember OJ Simpson? He literally got away with the ultimate assault: murder....... then got paid even more money to write a book about it!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Therein lies the irony, and perhaps some of the explanation, for the way law enforcement, and much of society, has treated this whole assault: Americans devour violence and understand that there are no consequences for behaving like a thug. Every Sunday afternoon you can get eight hours of it.

If this was you or me instead of this Rice guy, we would be in jail for attempted murder.

But because we are dealing with a serial creep who gets paid a LOT of money to assault other knuckleheads, he gets a pass.

Remember OJ Simpson? He literally got away with the ultimate assault: murder....... then got paid even more money to write a book about it!
OJ Simpson is completely ruined, has no money and is currently serving a 33 year sentence for a separate offense. Bad example?

You might be surprised how often domestic abuse cases are handled EXACTLY the way Ray Rice and Janay Palmer's case was handled.

Ted, this just seems a little hyperbolic.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I agree, but I don't think we should worship teachers either. It's really over rated. They're day care teachers for the most part and 90% of what you learn in school you never remember or use. "Education" has flooded people's minds with so much useless facts to memorize that they forget the important stuff. No one should be studying a foreign language/shakespeare/memorizing a bunch of dates you'll never remember after the test ect ect.

The stuff that will prevent future genocides/wars is the important stuff History is destined to repeat itself if you don't LEARN from the past. People should be taught how to read/write, basic science/math, and history(but not the memorizing random dates crap), civics, and that's it.
Don't learn foreign languages? your joking right? languages open up trade and in parts of the country you can't find a job unless you are bilingual. I live in miami and I'll tell you good luck finding a job only knowing english.you are expected to know spanish as well as english if want a job.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Wow. Exactly how is Ray Rice a victim? Bumping into someone is a mistake. Punching your fiance in the face goes wayyyy beyond mistake. I think the attitude of Rice's teammates is far more accurate an indicator of the NFL mind-set than anything Goodell or Bisciotti spits out.

Steelers vs. Ravens: Score and Twitter Reaction for Thursday Night Football | Bleacher Report
That is disturbing. Why does the team rally around him like he's a victim? If he was in prison he'd be raped extra for abusing a woman, yet in the NFL he's a hero.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:

No shock with the National Felons League.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
This entire situation has been overblown
Overblown? He knocked his fiancee out and then dragged her lifeless body out of the elevator. He had no idea if she had even sustained serious brain injury and needed medical care, yet he certainly didn't take her to the ER. Judging by her future actions it may be that she sustain brain damage. And she could have died. It's just by luck that she survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events