Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
In spite of the all scandals, people still apparently really love football. Do you and how have the controversies impacted your football viewing?

TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Tops Week 51 With Adults 18-49 & With Total Viewers - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com
No surprise at all. America has a thirst for violence and American football will always be #1. I didn't expect the sport to lose very much viewership. To each his/her own. It does not appeal to me at all.

Give me the real football instead - soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:12 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That's a possibility. My question then would be whether we would want to foster and encourage that "savage side of human nature" and how do we teach athletes to turn it off when they leave the football field? That seems crucial.

Because some people ask why their owners and managers should be held accountable for the players behavior when they aren't working. And the answer to that is because the owners and managers are the ones who are deliberately molding and reinforcing the attitudes that a problematic for society.

I did remark that the original idea of an athlete was not just brute strength and prevailing over the adversary. It was two-fold - to produce a human with a sound body and a sound mind. It wasn't, "Who can prevail and make the most money?"
Yes, I agree with this! I'm sorry I can't remember who it was now, but last season on Inside the NFL they had a former defensive player as a guest, and Chris Collinsworth was telling him he was in an elevator with him before a game he was calling, and the player didn't even acknowledge him nor look at him. The player said that before a game, it was necessary for him to get into a "battle" mindset, an almost angry kind of energy he needed to tackle and do his job.

He said it was very hard after the game to get out of that mindset when he went home, and that his family often suffered for it.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've never understood why people hold the NFL responsible for the Athletes. Athletes are people, like any one else. And while many people go about their day quietly, (like most pro football players,) some are abusers, some are criminals, some are addicts. If you look at any organization of a certain size, it will have addicts, abusers, criminals, etc among its ranks.

I agree that they can be obnoxious spoiled children, but I've had unremarkable friends that took a lot longer to grow up as well, and no one blamed THEIR employers or held THEIR employers responsible for what they did. Some of them suffered more consequences than others, depending on what they did and if their company policies, but their track record isn't markedly different than an NFL players.
There is one little thing you forgot ---
It's apparent the NFL does not do background checks. I don't know about you all but the last job I had that did not run a check on me was in 1989.

Most "criminals" will not be considered for gainful employment positions.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
There is one little thing you forgot ---
It's apparent the NFL does not do background checks. I don't know about you all but the last job I had that did not run a check on me was in 1989.

Most "criminals" will not be considered for gainful employment positions.
Doesn't do background checks? On the contrary, they know everything about a player's life including personal life before they draft them. When someone is known to have a rep as troublemaker, most teams will avoid that person. My Eagles last year got rid of one its' best players, DeSean Jackson, because he was doing things in his personal life that the front office deemed potentially troublesome, despite his being at the top of his game. Read below, and you'll see their backgrounds are scrutinized MORE thoroughly than the average person seeking a job, not less.

http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/20...new-employees/

"Every detail of a prospect’s background is researched by teams and publicized by the media. The scrutiny goes beyond touchdowns and dropped passes, it continues to arrests, scandals, and brief, long-ago suspensions for undisclosed team violations. If a player was involved in some non-noteworthy taproom scuffle, we know about it."

"Two sample Draft Profile on the NFL.com website show just how important:
  • (NFL Draft Prospect A) will need a pretty in-depth background check by any team considering drafting him. He has had off the field issues at both the University of Virginia as well as at Marshall…
  • (NFL Draft Prospect B) is a transfer from Florida who has struggled on and off the field because of injuries and conduct. He will require a strong background check by any team interested in gambling on his physical talent…"
If you get a chance to watch the movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner, it offers a fascinating look at how they draft players, and the various things they debate and look at, including how the player conducts himself in his personal life.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Actually I need to apologize to the readers here. I thought I was posting in different thread. Unless the title of the thread was changed after I posted here, my views on the game and the people who participate in it would be more appropriate somewhere else.

Didn't mean to thread****.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Actually I need to apologize to the readers here. I thought I was posting in different thread. Unless the title of the thread was changed after I posted here, my views on the game and the people who participate in it would be more appropriate somewhere else.

Didn't mean to thread****.
Thanks, but I don't think you need to, IMO your post was relevant. It helps point out that there are various factors involved and it's not as simple as just assigning the "thug" label on any athlete that does something wrong. It's only in looking at all those factors that the NFL can address the situation in an effective way in the future, whether by having mandatory counseling for certain players or something else.

To me that is more effective than just boycotting the game as a whole, and criticizing or judging those of us who continue to love and watch football despite the issues.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-17-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know if you've seen it, but the series "A Football Life" on NFL network is a series of 60 minute biographies of different players, and I really enjoy it. This week's is about "Mean Joe" Greene, who while more than living up to his nickname on the field, is a long-time married family man who seems to be a genuinely good man IRL. I agree the good stories don't get told enough. There are many, many players who devote their time and money into helping youth in urban areas and other charitable endeavors.

Sorry about your Colts, and I acknowledge you guys got screwed on some crucial calls near the end.
Eh, the Eagles were the better team in the end. Can't blame blowing a 14 point lead on a bad call.

As for that show, we don't get the NFL network so I've not seen it but I did see that episode advertised over the weekend, must have been Sunday Night Football maybe. I wonder if there's a way to stream that series. Doubt it.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

I would still argue that people hate michael vick more for fithing dogs then they will ever hate ray rice for punching his wife or peterson for beating his child. Kind of warped view we have as a society but it is, what it is.
Yeah. It's truly sick. Hell I think there was a more visceral hatred for Michael Vick than for OJ. Listen to the explosion of social media comments. There wasn't that type of outrage over OJ. A great percentage of our society values dogs more than human beings. It's a sad sign of moral decay. Oh and dogs are basically just wolves we took into our homes. Many are aggressive and dangerous towards people and other dogs. It's in their dna. They're not all lovey dovey marley type dogs. In fact that type of sweet dog is actually rare. Ask any person that delivers packages for a living. Dogs are predators. They can "go off" without provocation. They are responsible for more human deaths than every other animal combined. But the dog apologizers always blame the victim. A dog can do no wrong in America right now.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Ray rice gets counceling for knocking his wife unconcious and potentially causing brain damage and mike vick gets a few years in prison for doing something that is no worse than what goes on in a slaughterhouse every day. I'd rather be a fighting dog than a cow/pig kept in a cage where I can't even lie down my entire life waiting to killed. Basically animal torture. Just awful. Hell, we allow to kill animals for fun. We call it hunting. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites. Just because it's "dogs". If he was fighting bulls in spain, it would all be good.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Football - and pretty much all sports - demand to be seen live. That's why television rights are so expensive. It's the one type of content advertisers know will capture butts on the couch to watch their commercials. Not so with network/cable shows, more and more of which are being watched via DVR or online after their scheduled network airings.

So the fact that "the top" football game draws 300% more viewers than non-sports programming shouldn't be that big a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events