Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Honestly the scandals...Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Josh gordon, etc do not effect my football viewing in any way. It seems most of the fans are in support of the players regardless of what their latest issue is. You saw hundreds of people wearing ray rice jerseys at the game, peterson jerseys etc. And dont they say all publicity is good publicity?

I would still argue that people hate michael vick more for fithing dogs then they will ever hate ray rice for punching his wife or peterson for beating his child. Kind of warped view we have as a society but it is, what it is.
Meh, those dogs did absolutely nothing to deserve what happened to them. You know that chick Ray Rice was with was at least running her mouth, and AP's kid was being a little brat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
In spite of the all scandals, people still apparently really love football. Do you and how have the controversies impacted your football viewing?

TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Tops Week 51 With Adults 18-49 & With Total Viewers - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com
0%...what these dudes did was terrible, but it isn't going to keep me from watching games.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yeah. It's truly sick. Hell I think there was a more visceral hatred for Michael Vick than for OJ. Listen to the explosion of social media comments. There wasn't that type of outrage over OJ. A great percentage of our society values dogs more than human beings. It's a sad sign of moral decay. Oh and dogs are basically just wolves we took into our homes. Many are aggressive and dangerous towards people and other dogs. It's in their dna. They're not all lovey dovey marley type dogs. In fact that type of sweet dog is actually rare. Ask any person that delivers packages for a living. Dogs are predators. They can "go off" without provocation. They are responsible for more human deaths than every other animal combined. But the dog apologizers always blame the victim. A dog can do no wrong in America right now.
You must be young. Social media didn't exist when the OJ stuff was happening. I was around then, and I can tell you there was much more outrage, it was world-wide too not just here. Aside from that, you are threadjacking trying to make this about dogs vs people or who did what that was worse than what this guy or that guy did.... NOT the topic and not relevant to the topic.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Football - and pretty much all sports - demand to be seen live. That's why television rights are so expensive. It's the one type of content advertisers know will capture butts on the couch to watch their commercials. Not so with network/cable shows, more and more of which are being watched via DVR or online after their scheduled network airings.

So the fact that "the top" football game draws 300% more viewers than non-sports programming shouldn't be that big a surprise.
That's a good point!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
This surprises exactly no one . Blood sport has been around for the ages. Just acknowledge it as such, I used to like to watch boxing, but not anymore. I guess I outgrew blood sport.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM

368 posts, read 396,011 times
What a handful of players do off the field doesn't make me hate or want to eradicate an entire sport. That's ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is that there are posters here who actually imply that those who like football are all blood thirsty savages who bask in violence and get off to it. Talk about casting shallow judgment.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You must be young. Social media didn't exist when the OJ stuff was happening. I was around then, and I can tell you there was much more outrage, it was world-wide too not just here. Aside from that, you are threadjacking trying to make this about dogs vs people or who did what that was worse than what this guy or that guy did.... NOT the topic and not relevant to the topic.
Nope, I'm not that young.
I remember cheering in the streets when the verdict was read of not guilty. It's absolutely relevant to the topic because it's about football and mike vick is a football player last time I checked who got years in the slammer for dog fighting, while ray rice didn't do a day! Totally relevant, but might not be what you want ot hear since you're probably a "dog lover". People say all the time I don't mind seeing people shot, but I can't handle seeing a dog shot.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Meh, those dogs did absolutely nothing to deserve what happened to them. You know that chick Ray Rice was with was at least running her mouth, and AP's kid was being a little brat.
So she DESERVED it? LOL She was asking for it? CLASSIC blaming of the victim. The fact that you can't tell the difference between a dog and a person is pretty sick. Also, a lot of those dogs are bred to fight. It's in their genetics. They enjoy it. Except for the bait dogs. It's not just about pleasing the owner. They are acting on a hunting instinct when they kill each other. Just like when a pit kills a cat. It's for it's enjoyment. That's what an instinct is. It gives a rush of happy chemiscals as a reward for certain behavoir. What vick did was wrong, but they're just dogs and there was absolutely more outrage over that by all the crazy dog lovers than when a person is the victim. Oh and dogs attack all the time without provocation. That's reality. They're not some innocent creature that bothers no one. That's a delusional fantasy. They're a dumb predatory animal. Some are nice, some are mean and nasty. But of course the person who has a vicious dog is almost always in denial and blames the victim

Old 09-18-2014, 10:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
In spite of the all scandals, people still apparently really love football. Do you and how have the controversies impacted your football viewing?

TV Ratings Broadcast Top 25: ‘Sunday Night Football’ Tops Week 51 With Adults 18-49 & With Total Viewers - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com
I never, and I mean never, watch football. It's a boring game with nothing but a bunch of guys tackling each other. A two minute segment can take ten minutes to pass. Yawn.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Nope, I'm not that young.
I remember cheering in the streets when the verdict was read of not guilty. It's absolutely relevant to the topic because it's about football and mike vick is a football player last time I checked who got years in the slammer for dog fighting, while ray rice didn't do a day! Totally relevant, but might not be what you want ot hear since you're probably a "dog lover". People say all the time I don't mind seeing people shot, but I can't handle seeing a dog shot.
The topic is about how people continue to watch football in huge numbers, it is NOT about who was unjustly punished and who got off easy and what our punishment priorities should or shouldn't be, that has nothing in the slightest to do with the topic. Go start your own thread on P&OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events