Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,802 times

Advertisements

it looks like ratings isn't the only thing football beats now and days.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Football is Americas pastime
Sad, but true. Look at how colleges make money from it all and crush the students that work hard in academics. All the scholarship money goes to football and basketball without regard towards students that actually achieve good academic standing. Sure is a sad state of affairs we love this game of hitting others and running around with an odd ball. I guess it is our gladiator sport and we haven't progressed in 1000's of years mentally, other than getting lazier.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:09 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sad, but true. Look at how colleges make money from it all and crush the students that work hard in academics. All the scholarship money goes to football and basketball without regard towards students that actually achieve good academic standing. Sure is a sad state of affairs we love this game of hitting others and running around with an odd ball. I guess it is our gladiator sport and we haven't progressed in 1000's of years mentally, other than getting lazier.
I would disagree with this. I think all students benefit when a school gets millions and millions of dollars from alumni, TV revenue, shirt and merchandise sales, etc due to having a good football team. I highly doubt the serious academic students at Notre Dame are suffering in any way due to football, in fact they benefit too. If there is a lot of money coming in, it will translate to more money for all scholarships, newer buildings/libraries, better professors, etc.

From Forbes:
"First, and most obviously, is that successful teams generate a positive operating income for a school’s athletic department. Football is ordinarily an athletic department’s biggest revenue driver, and that income is required to support non-revenue sports like golf and swimming. If a team is profitable enough to cover those costs and still put its athletic department in the black, then revenue can be directed back to the parent university to support academic programming.
This is particularly true for the top SEC schools. Florida led the way last year, contributing $7.2 million to academic programming, with $1.5 million of that earmarked for non-athletic scholarships. Alabama wasn’t far behind, providing nearly $6.5 million to the university to help pay for scholarships, faculty support and the school’s Acts of Kindness fund. Other big donors were Ohio State ($5 million) and Georgia ($4 million)."

Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would disagree with this. I think all students benefit when a school gets millions and millions of dollars from alumni, TV revenue, shirt and merchandise sales, etc due to having a good football team. I highly doubt the serious academic students at Notre Dame are suffering in any way due to football, in fact they benefit too. If there is a lot of money coming in, it will translate to more money for all scholarships, newer buildings/libraries, better professors, etc.
Oh please. You are naming Notre Dame that has some huge fan base. There are COUNTLESS universities that are looking for that holy grail to make a pile of money off football and the students suffer. Also, now that that dumb Tittle 9, that has colleges dumping scholarships that used to go to golf, tennis, track and other sports. Now it is all about football and basketball for the boys. It is one ugly situation for those young people going into college. Other than the Ivy League that is held to a much higher standard, college has become a bit of a joke with all the football nonsense, fueled by the fans that love the gladiator sport. There is so much showboating and so many problems in the pro sports like football. Goodness, it is a shame.

Oh well, USA! USA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events